African Cup Of Nations 2006 (11 Viewers)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Cameroon is quickly starting to look like hot favourites after totally outplaying Togo in an entertaining match that had 2 brilliant goals. What's all this fuss about Adebayor anyway? Eto'o is in a league of his own, he truly epitomises what a striker should be & it's a shame he will not be in Germany 06.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Chxta said:
The longer I watched last night's game between Angola and DR Congo, the more ashamed I felt. Was this the team that prevented Naija from going to the World Cup? :sad:
The question now arises, how did Nigeria & Cameroon fail to qualify for the World Cup? How?

OP
Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #63
    Complacency? We both have ourselves to blame. In both cases we should have rounded up qualifying at least by games 6 or 7 of the 10 game qualifyng series and started testing the juniours.

Well, I don't think we'll be that silly next time...

May 30, 2004
    If Egypt qualifies second in the group we will face cameroon which from wht i hear no egyptian wants tht but i dont mind ... we beat em once in cairo and we can beat them again ... i dont care for big names .. i d rather egypt beat ivory coast and qualify first and let them clash with cameroon who are probably still pissed off about ivory coast beating them to the qualification spot to the world cup....
    egypt was a main reason in cameroon not qualifying to the world cup we gave them such a hard time .. if they meet us now again they are gonna take it all out on us.. so hopefully ivor vs cameroon .... egypt vs -----

OP
    Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #70
    hambon said:
    Senegal is playing some wonderfull Football... I can see them in the Finals:agree:
    Senegal has played against just Zimbabwe, who no disrespect intended were expected to prop up hte group in the first place. I'll like to see them against Ghana tomorrow before making a final assessment on them...

OP
    Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #73
    Ripped this from Eurosport...

# Thank you very much for joining us tonight for some excellent African Nations action, Nigeria all but sealing their place in the last eight with a 2-0 win over Zimbabwe, while Ghana stir things up with a 1-0 win over Senegal. I'm Reda Maher and I'll be back tomorrow with the mouth-watering clash between hosts Egypt and World Cup qualifiers Ivory Coast from 16:15cet, plus Morocco v Libya at 19:00. See you then!
    FULL MATCH REPORT HERE!
    # 90+4 Martins is clearly shoved to the ground in the box, but the ref ignores the appeals and Zim try to break but Kanu wins the ball and turns on a sixpence to feed Taiwo... Mikel is chopped down after a series of roughouse challenges and there's the whistle, 2-0 to Nigeria, comfortable in the end but only after the introduction of John Obi Mikel.
    # 90+3 Mikel still having some fun on the left releasing Lawal, but the return sees the youngster foul his man and Zim have the free-kick.
    # 90+1 Nigeria killing the game off now, slowly slowly as Enyeama sends the ball upfield.
    # 90' Four minutes of stoppage time to be played.
    # 88' Lupahla off for Kasinauyo for Zimbabwe.
    # 87' Goalscorer Obodo comes off with Garba Lawal.
    # 85' Good ball by Ndlovu into BENJANI WHO SHOOTS TO SCORE BUT A WONDERFUL ONE-HANDED SAVE BY ENYEAMA!! And he even managed to scramble down to prevent the corner.
    # 84' Ndlovu to Luphala WHO HAS A CRACK but it's high, wide and handsome... there were Zim players in the box but he went for glory.
    # 83' Zim still pressing and Benjani now with a long-range shot but it's deflected and loops up into the air into Enyeama's arms.
    # 80' Kaondera comes off, he's done well tonight but the fresh legs of veteran forward Peter Ndlovu are required.
    # 78' Luphala on the break, he feeds Koandera who spots Benjani on the edge of the box but he needs too much time and Nigeria have bodies back to cleat the ball.
    # 77' Nigeria not content with two and pushing for a third...
    # 75' Utaka penalised, free-kick to Zim in their own half to be sent in by Matola... Benjani with a throw but Kaondera is held off by Yobo. Testing cross is sent in and Taiwo puts it out for a throw.
    # 74' Kanu on the ball, tries to send a curling pass with the outside of his right boot but it's intercepted by Matola.
    # 72' Good play from Benjani to Kaondera WHO SETS UP CHIMEDZA WHO SENDS A CRACKING STRIKE AND IT'S SAVED BY ENYEAMA!! That was a cracker, headed for the rop right corner, great save. The corner is disappointing though and Nigeria survive. Good spirit from Zim!
    # 71' Obi Mikel on the ball, stroking it to set up a superb crossfield pass to Utaka, whose control lets him down.
    # 70' ZIMBABWE SUB: Dinha off for Bekhi Ndlovu as Benjani sends in a long range effort, easy for Enyeama.
    # 67' Dinha booked for Zimbabwe.
    # 66' Kaondera is in the box and he has a chance to set up Benjani but goes it alone and shoots into Enyeama's arms! He could have and shold have scored, or at the very least set up the man to his left.
    # 64' Kanu turns superbly into the box and rifles in a low shot to the far post and just wide!! Almost three in eight minutes.
    # 63' Well, John Obi Mikel was subject to a tug of war between Man Utd and Chelsea but I believe he's back in Norway with Lyn awaiting the next move. Easy to see why he was being fought over tooth and nail, the lad's got class.
    # 61' The ball is with Mikel on the edge of the box, he takes a touch to set himself up AND FIRES IN A WONDERFUL STRIKE, LOW AND HARD INTO THE BOTTOM CORNER, UNSTOPPABLE FOR 2-0 ANDTHAT'S WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT.
    # 60' Obi Mikel with a super pass to Martins, lays it off to Kanu who does a neat trick to control and back with Mikel who almost releases Martins and then Kanu with the through ball, this youngster looks like he may be something...
    # 58' Matola with a late and hard tackle into the back of Martins, yellow card.
    # 56' Corner is sent in and CHRIS OBODO WITH A HEADER AND IT'S IN FOR NIGERIA OFF THE CROSSBAR!! It followed a dangerous corner that was put out for a second one and with this one was headed straight in by the Udinese man. And the assist? John Obi Mikel...
    # 55' Immediately Kanu with a great turn in the box and he goes down!! Bubt no penalty.
    # 54' Double substitution for Nigeria, Jon Obi Mikel comes on, the highly-rated youngster, along with Kanu. Oruma and Ahgahowa off.
    # 53' Long range effort from Nengomasha drifts wide...
    # 52' Corner comes in and it's a dangerous one!! But there's a foul on the 'keeper and Zim get the free-kick.
    # 51' Yellow card for either Oruma or Yohane, the former was complaining that the latter had re-entered the pitch without permission, and it is both who have been booked.
    # 50' Testing ball in from the left and UTAKA!! But good defending as they double up on the Rennes man, corner to Nigeria.
    # 49' Yohane sitting on the pitch...looks like he's got an ankle problem...but he hobbles to his feet and will battle on.
    # 48' Martins picking up pace...MIGHT BURST THROUGH!! MATOLA!! That's the cleanest challenge you will ever see...brilliant tackle...but there's always danger when Martins picks up the ball and runs at people.
    # 47' Kawondera weaving down the right...ESCAPES TO THE BY-LINE!! CUTS IT BACK!! OOOOHHH! That was just behind Benjani...
    # 47' Ball in from the Nigeria right...AGHAHOWA RISES!! But his header won't trouble Muzadzi.
    # 46' AND NIGERIA GIFT IT TO BENJANI!! TRIES TO PLAY IN KAWONDERA!! And so close to getting a clean strike on goal.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Southern African teams have sucked so far in this tournament. Eastern African teams didn't even make it. Sad to see that football in Africa resides in the top half. Easy win by Nigeria over a rather determined Zimbabwe.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Once Senegal realise that Diouf will not be doing anything useful this year then maybe they can revive their chances.

OP
    Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #78
    What I have been saying since...

El Hadji Diouf has claimed that the wrong five African teams are going to the World Cup this summer.

The Senegal front man, who broke onto the international stage in the 2002 competition, believes that this year's representatives will find it hard to make it past the group stages.

Tunisia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Angola and Togo were the surprising qualifiers for Germany 2006, but they have generally struggled to make an impact in the ongoing African Cup of Nations and many fear for their chances at the World Cup.

Diouf feels that the more established countries would have been more successful, and is baffled as to how the qualifiers made it through in the first place.

"I think the wrong teams are going to the World Cup," he declared. "If you have seen Ghana, and then you see Cameroon, Senegal and Nigeria, you know the wrong team is going.

"If we played the World Cup qualifiers over again, I think Senegal would qualify.

"African teams going to the World Cup represent Africa. They are ambassadors for African football.

"We only have five teams going and we don't want to lose a place. If we have five teams and they all go out in the first round it's not good for Africa."

The Bolton star also admitted that he would find it too upsetting to watch the tournament on television.

"I'm going on holiday with my family. If I watched it I would cry.

Source

Akerman

Oct 20, 2005
    This is actually the first time I would like Inter to win against a low-tier team. :) I like Martins and would not want the fans to hold him responsible for losing against Lecce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)