African Cup Of Nations 2006 (2 Viewers)

Holygr4le

Aug 4, 2005
hambon said:
This year the wrong teams are representin Afrika....except Tunisia & Ivory Coast....the rest need to be changed...
The qualifying should be changed.
The top 4 from South American Championships, top 4 african Championships, top 4 European Championships and so on. Then a qualifying with mixed groups from all over the world.

Listen cause I have speaken! :D

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
that sounds kick ass...but fifa aint down like that.....Booyyyaaaakaashhha!!

Repeskt.... :agree:

I had to throw this one in: I like you? do u like me?? (heavy borat accent) hahaha

Pure Comedy!!:D

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Good game Nigeria - Ghana. Nigeria deserved to win & that Taiwo boy can sure kick a ball! Ghana scared of Nigeria it seemed as they had a defensive formation. Back 4 for Nigeria is a bit shaky but midfield was brilliant - Wilson Oruma finally come of age, my MOM.

OP
Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #53
    I must say that I find it disappointing that so many people who claim to be students of the international game, care little about the African Cup of Nations. In many of the footballing forums on the net that I am a member of, people don't even seem to want to know. Someone had the nerve to tell me that Everton-Arsenal was of higher quality than Maroc-Cote d'Ivoire. When I asked him who was in goal for Cote d'Ivoire, he didn't know. Evidence that he didn't even watch the match that he was condemning. Never judge a book by its cover! We should all be capable of gazing away from the Premiership once in a while, especially to watch a competition replete with so much football talent. In a World Cup year, with five of the sixteen African participants bound for Germany in June, it's particularly enlightening. Well, having seen all five African representatives at the World Cup in action, I can only say that the continent's chances at the tournament later in the year range from poor to outright non-existent.

The tournament has started well. No disrespect to Libya, but I was hoping for an Egyptian victory in Friday's competition opener. That the Pharaohs delivered three goals without reply means there's no danger of the Egyptian populace losing interest before the tournament really hots up. It was my fear before a ball was kicked that the Cote d'Ivoire might be the best team in the competition. Their grittily win against Morocco on Saturday served to throw those initial thoughts into serious doubt.

The Elephants were under the cosh for almost the entire game and had to be content with fashioning out chances on the break. Had the Moroccans had a better finisher (I wonder where Hadda is), the result would have been very different. I will say this: the Ivorians shouldn't have been awarded their 36th minute penalty! Moroccan defender Regragui fouled Drogba *spit* outside the area as far as all the replays I have seen tell me. But having said all that, and lest I get too emotional and unobjective, the Elephants were gritty and efficient at the back. I fancy them to be not so far off when medals are handed ut on February 10. Of the five African sides at the World Cup, the Elephants may have had the best impact, were it not for the unforgiving group they've landed in. With the best will in the world, it's hard to imagine the Elephants finishing above Argentina and Holland, not to mention Serbia & Montenegro. I am saying that the Elephants may have had the best impact solely on the back of that defensive display Saturday. Football nowadays is built on having a solid defence going up.

The conclusion that the Elephants would likely be the best African team at the World Cup (maybe 3rd in their group) brings me to something I've been saying for a few months now. The African teams going to Germany will be hard pressed to do the continent justice. This view has been reinforced in the wake of dispiriting displays at the weekend by three African World Cup standard bearers, Angola, Togo and Ghana.

On the one hand, Angola's 3-1 defeat by Cameroon was no surprise. The Palancas Negras won't be the last team to succumb to Samuel Eto'o and his mates in Egypt. However, it's not unreasonable to suggest that there's insufficient quality within the squad, for World Cup progress to be likely. Then there is Togo, whose plight, following a tame 2-0 surrender to DR Congo, has worsened with news of a row between coach Stephen Keshi and star player Emmanuel Adebayor. No one is quite sure, at the time of writing, what precisely has caused this fight. But forget the cause, what is the matter with Keshi? Must he always find someone to fight? Adebayor was originally scheduled to start in that match, his name was later removed. The recently signed Arsenal striker started on the bench, and only came on near the end of the match. Something happened between when the team list was first drafted, and when the players walked onto the pitch. Whoever is right and wrong in this issue doesn't matter. What matters is that Togo rely extremely heavily on Adebayor. Without him, they're ordinary.

As for Tunisia, the defending champions. The 4-1 margin of victory may look emphatic, but to be honest this was a remarkably even match for long periods. The Zambians scored first when James Chamanga took advantage of a misunderstanding between goalkeeper Boumnijel and defender Trabelsi. However, Tunisia's Brazilian born striker dos Santos netted a fine hat-trick, while Bouazizi also got on target. Shouldn't that guy be a grandfather or something? I have been hearing Bouazizi since Tunisia 94 now... Let's face facts: the Tunisians are rather naive defensively, although we have to accept that they have a decent midfield, but the truth is this they were lucky to even get on the scoreboard against the Zambians. A more professional outfit wouldn't have surrendered that gift lead for anything.

Ghana let's face it were played almost off the park by a spirited Nigerian side. For a team to content itself to waiting for chances to break? Not even the Italians play like that. Had Yobo not been a tard complacent, would Ghana have had a chance in the entire second half? Some might say that it is because Essien was not playing. Bollocks! Did Emerson go to the 2002 World Cup for Brazil? Yet they won the tournament. Did France go to France 98 complete? No Cantona, no Ginola, no Papin, Lama didn't kick a ball... Ghana aren't just ready at all, and in yesterday's game thay have Kuffour to thank for expertly marshalling that defence, as well as Obodo for not trying at all down that left hand side. The game may well have been 4-0.

Having talked about the continent's 5 reps at the World Cup, it is fair I think for me to say that having watched the first round of matches, unless they meet on the way, I see Cameroon, Egypt, Nigeria and Senegal as being the likely winners of the trophy.

Egypt were quite efficient against the Libyans, but will have to work on that defence if they want to prevent being caught out on the break. A more experience outfit would have punished them with some of the chances the Libyans had. Then they also have to learn to dominate the midfield. In game 1 they were ovbiously miles ahead of the Libyans on the basis of talent alone, but failed to dominate in the middle.

Cameroon have the luxury of having Sammy Eto'o in their squad, and his quality shone against the Angolans. But I fear that the Cameroonians may shoot themselves in the foot with some agricultural defending. Hasn't Song learnt anything? Also, the quality of service that Eto'o got that day left a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Nigeria played well, but have to avoid complacency. It became ovbious to every one yesterday that we were better than the Ghanaians, but then (while still at 0-0!) we started showing off signs of vintage Nigerian arrogance. What the hell was Yobo doing on the ball? That misdemeanour gave the Ghana boys their first real chance of the second half, and from that one chance two others were fashioned. Had it not been for some superb goal keeping from Enyeama, we'd have been toast! But then we have to acknowledge that Enyeama himself wasn't without his faults as well. He still hasn't gotten the hang of defending crosses as was epiomise by the needless corner he dashed the Ghanaians at the death. Other than that, the man's positional play is almost perfect. Since we have Sani Kaita in that team, I think Ayila Yusuf should be drafted to right full back, since Chidi Odiah was ovbiously not interested in proceedings. As for the left side of the midfield, it is ovbiously not Obodo's. I hope Obiefule would have recovered by our next game on Friday. Failing that, then bring in Garuba Lawal, but do not start Obodo there ever again. Meantime Aghahowa is burnt. I think Makinwa would pair better with Martins than the anonymous display that Aghahowa put up yesterday.

Senegal are quite good, but lacking a lot in efficiency. It has become ovbious that Henri Camama, not Osseyinou Diouf is the engine of that side, and maybe that is what killed them in the WCQ. I said that they have a good chance of winning the tournament, maybe I really should reserve that judgement until they have played a better team than Zimbabwe, and based on what I saw in yesterday's games, the only other good team in that group is Nigeria.

South Africa's 2-0 defeat at the hands of Guinea merely underlines what many who follow Bafana Bafana closely have been saying for some time. This is a very poor side and no one can begrudge the more inventive Guineans their victory.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
    CAN 2006: Elephants Almost Through To Next Stage

Libya gave World Cup qualifiers - the Ivory Coast a fright but lost 2-1 in a highly contested match at the Cairo International Stadium on Tuesday.

The match was played in front of packed attendees - most of whom are from Libyans or Arab decent. Goals from captain Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure sent the Elephants hopefully through to the quarter-finals and stamped the Greens passports for Tripoli.

The Ivorians dominated during the opening stages, with Didier Drogba opening the scoring on ten minutes after a good solo run by Aruna Kone and a goalkeeping blunder from stand-in goalkeeper Meftah Ghazalla made Yaya Toure a happy man.

But they failed to capitalize on numerous chances - including a shocking miss from three yards by Kone after a perfect Drogba cross -and as Libya gained confidence, the Ivorians became frustrated. Drogba was also denied a clear penalty when he was hauled down on his way to reach a cross from Akale.

But the Libyans created some good feelings for the Young Patriots back home to picnic after Abdesalam El Khamies reduced the deficit just before the break. Jehad Muntasser - showing great skill and creativity along with Tarek El Taib and Morei El Ramli - sent in a brilliant cross from the right, converted by a towering header from Abdesalam.

Libya actually had the better of the second half, some great moves into the box not well finished and one superb combination of backhills and flicked passes freeing Nader Kara, whose drilled shot came of the outside of the post.

It was the best move of the match and worthy of repeat viewing on the giant screen at the stadium. The Ivorians were losing their cool, Kone and Yaya Toure lashing out at their opponents while Drogba grew weary of the poor service.

Yaya Toure had the better of the game when he capitalized on a goalmouth scramble to head butt the ball over the stranded Ghazalla, the defenders on the goal line unable to clear the ball from under the bar. Libya coach Ilica Loncarevic must blame the goalkeeper for not catching the ball or punching it well. Even though they gambled by sending on two more strikers at the expense of their most effective players - Taib, Ramli and Muntasser, - they still had limited ability.

The Ivorians should have had another penalty when Kone went down in the box but they stood firmly and held on for the vital three points and can wait on the Egypt and Morocco results to know whether they have made it though to the next stage.

Line-Ups:

Ivory Coast: Jean-Jacques Tizie, Kanga Akale, Arthur Boka, Kolo Toure, Didier Zokora, Aruna Kone (Bakari Kone 82’), Yapi Yapo (Bonaventure Kalou 69’), Didier Drogba (captain), Abdoulaye Meite, Marc Andre Zoro, Yaya Toure (Emarse Fae 88’)

Coach: Henri Michel

Libya: Osman Walid, Naji Shushan, Younes Shibani, Marei Mohammed (Khaled Hussein 84), Jihad Muntasir (Salem Rewani 72’), Tarek El Taib (captain) (Ahmed Saad 78’), Nader Kara, Nader Ali, Osama Hamadi, Abdelsalam Khamis, Gazalla Muftar.

Coach: Ilija Lonceravic

Booked: Yapo 6’, Zakora 46’, Drogba 49, El Shebani 7l’, Osama 86’

Referee: Maidin Shamsul (Singapore)

Danesius Marteh

OP
    Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #56
    It'd be extrememly interesting to see Egypt beat Cote d'Ivoire so that the Ivoriens would meet Cameroon in the 1/4 finals.

Muha

The Head Physio
    Feb 25, 2004
    Ivory Coast will probably play with thier second team as they've already qualified, and Drogba is injured... So i guess it'll be "less tough" for Egypt.
    However, it'll be more intresting if Egypt loses, and Marocco wins by more than three goals.

OP
    Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #58
    Nah, Egypt going out at this stage wouldn't be good for the competition.

OP
    Chxta

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #59
    The longer I watched last night's game between Angola and DR Congo, the more ashamed I felt. Was this the team that prevented Naija from going to the World Cup? :sad:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Chxta said:
    I must say that I find it disappointing that so many people who claim to be students of the international game, care little about the African Cup of Nations. In many of the footballing forums on the net that I am a member of, people don't even seem to want to know. Someone had the nerve to tell me that Everton-Arsenal was of higher quality than Maroc-Cote d'Ivoire. When I asked him who was in goal for Cote d'Ivoire, he didn't know. Evidence that he didn't even watch the match that he was condemning. Never judge a book by its cover! We should all be capable of gazing away from the Premiership once in a while, especially to watch a competition replete with so much football talent. In a World Cup year, with five of the sixteen African participants bound for Germany in June, it's particularly enlightening. Well, having seen all five African representatives at the World Cup in action, I can only say that the continent's chances at the tournament later in the year range from poor to outright non-existent.
    Wonderful post. For an outsider still learning how to appreciate more of the African game, this was really informative. Thanks, Cheta! :thumbs:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)