Adrien Rabiot - CM - PSG (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
So for those against signing him, why? I hear him being called all kinds of undesirable nicknames. Is he weak/lacks aggression? Weak mentally? Or is it all about perceived issues with his mom?
He's a quality player. The two issues are regarding his attitude and whether he can play B2B.

As a footballer, he has few weaknesses.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
So for those against signing him, why? I hear him being called all kinds of undesirable nicknames. Is he weak/lacks aggression? Weak mentally? Or is it all about perceived issues with his mom?
Rumored that he refused to be on standby for France World Cup side, had numerous problems with PSG management and brought in his mom (who is wealthy and influential or something) to press the PSG ownership. Got the playing time he wanted and then wound down his contract hence the situation he is in now leaving PSG and them getting no money for him.

I am most concerned that he also allegedly refused to play DLP for PSG despite that seeming an ideal position for him and where I would want him to play if he were to join Juve.

Ability wise he would be an ideal signing for this team and on a free transfer a huge coup even on big wages. I guess it all depends on if we believe the rigid professional environment here would be enough to tame him.

one must wonder if our code of conduct has become less rigid post-beppe as both bonucci and doug C had bad incidents this season and neither seems on the way out. then you look at the signing of a coach like sarri and strong links to rabiot and icardi...

Last edited:

Soloist

Feb 2, 2019
He's a really good player, the issues are with his mom, the story about the world cup last year.. He's a dickhead and there are very good reason if we're getting him for free

May 25, 2019
He's a quality player. The two issues are regarding his attitude and whether he can play B2B.

As a footballer, he has few weaknesses.
Still relatively new to the sport, when someone questions whether a player can play box to box is that due to stamina issues or a lack of awareness on either the offensive or defensive side of mid or does it mean something completely different?

Good to hear that he's well rounded skill wise.

Rumored that he refused to be on standby for France World Cup side, had numerous problems with PSG management and brought in his mom (who is wealthy and influential or something) to press the PSG ownership. Got the playing time he wanted and then wound down his contract hence the situation he is in now leaving PSG and them getting no money for him.

I am most concerned that he also allegedly refused to play DLP for PSG despite that seeming an ideal position for him and where I would want him to play if he were to join Juve.

Ability wise he would be an ideal signing for this team and on a free transfer a huge coup even on big wages. I guess it all depends on if we believe the rigid professional environment here would be enough to tame him.
That isn't promising that he turned down an opportunity to be on a WC team had injury hit. I can understand being upset that he didn't get named to the starting team but considering they won the WC, they likely had depth for days.

I would hope that he plays whatever role Sarri thinks is best suited for team success.

Hopefully being in a professional and winning environment will keep him in line and happy so that he doesn't need to unlesh his mommy again.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Still relatively new to the sport, when someone questions whether a player can play box to box is that due to stamina issues or a lack of awareness on either the offensive or defensive side of mid or does it mean something completely different?

Good to hear that he's well rounded skill wise.
Could be a variety of things as it is such a commanding role but in Rabiot's case I would think it would be whether he has played that role enough so the movements would be natural to him? Because otherwise he has the physical and technical abilities.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008

There are a lot of factors. A B2B midfielder is expected to score some goals. In order to get into goal scoring positions you need stamina as well as instincts. I believe there's a recent quote from Buffon suggesting Rabiot would need to improve his attacking instincts.

Then there's also the technical ability in terms of making passes in tight, scoring areas or being able to head/shoot the ball into the net. For example, Matuidi might have the stamina and instincts to get into good positions but technically he can't capitalize.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Box-to-box midfielder is a traditional football term used since the 1990s-2000s, to categorize a player, generally a midfielder who can attack in the opposition box, as well as defend in his own box.
Must have for the role :
-high stamina;
-great workrate;
-knows how to tackle;helps the defense
-can carry the ball upfield
-good creativity.
Somewhat a complete midfielder. He is there to defend and he is there in attack.
Examples: Vidal, pogba, gerard, lampard,kante,busquets .

May 25, 2019
There are a lot of factors. A B2B midfielder is expected to score some goals. In order to get into goal scoring positions you need stamina as well as instincts. I believe there's a recent quote from Buffon suggesting Rabiot would need to improve his attacking instincts.

Then there's also the technical ability in terms of making passes in tight, scoring areas or being able to head/shoot the ball into the net. For example, Matuidi might have the stamina and instincts to get into good positions but technically he can't capitalize.
Box-to-box midfielder is a traditional football term used since the 1990s-2000s, to categorize a player, generally a midfielder who can attack in the opposition box, as well as defend in his own box.
Must have for the role :
-high stamina;
-great workrate;
-knows how to tackle;helps the defense
-can carry the ball upfield
-good creativity.
Somewhat a complete midfielder. He is there to defend and he is there in attack.
Examples: Vidal, pogba, gerard, lampard,kante,busquets .
Thanks guys. Given our lowish offensive production last season we could really use a mid to contribute to our attack. In watching some highlights of Pogba he can score the ball from distance, head the ball, etc. so he'd be ideal of course but his cost is prohibitive. Can SMS score from distance as well? Can Rabiot?

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Thanks guys. Given our lowish offensive production last season we could really use a mid to contribute to our attack. In watching some highlights of Pogba he can score the ball from distance, head the ball, etc. so he'd be ideal of course but his cost is prohibitive. Can SMS score from distance as well? Can Rabiot?
SMS and Pogba are very similar. SMS can shoot as well as Pogba. Both of those players are about as good as you will get in terms of goal scoring for a CM.

Rabiot is less of a goal scoring threat. His shot is not as good, he can't jump and head like them. His weak foot shooting is not as good.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Any one of them (and Ramsey) is a massive upgrade from Matuidi and Khedira. If we are playing with three attackers then I don't think we need a goal scoring midfielder so much as ones who can at least link up with the winger next to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)