Zlatan (8 Viewers)

Mar 14, 2004
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
You people are loco! First of all, Trez should stay :D

Now, on a more serious note - How Gilardino is dubbed as better than Zlatan is beyond comprehension. Let's see. Gee, Zlatan's been better over the seasons IN MY OPINION in the Dutch League and well well he also does well in the Champions League. at least he NETS the goals. Oh wow, I didn't know Gilardino did that. What did Gilardino do? Oh yes he did fill in Adriano's shoes really well didn't he? Yes yes he did, he also has massive talent and has been doing great in Italy! Wow! Hmm, I wonder though, how sure are we that Gilardino isn't a one hit wonder? Are you very much positive he'd do this once he's in Juve, and do the same in CL? Now Zlatan is a risk too but at least I sense more security in buying him. Bah.

First of all......do you know who made Adriano a player which he is today???
Adrian Mutu......yes....classy Romanian who has been the best assister in the Leauge last year. When he left.....Adriano did not do so good first half of a season where he played in Parma. And Gila....and which of his team-mates is capable to produce 20 assists that he scores that amount of goals? NO ONE

Aug 1, 2003
Excuse me, please do not think of me as a person who has sunk so low to not know anything about Adriano and especially Adrian Mutu. But anyways, I disagree with your assessment on Mutu making Adriano who he is today, that's just crap

as I've said before, Gilardino is a massive talent. but he still is not a totally proven player. what are the chances of him just doing good this season and failing the next? what are the chances of him failing to adapt to CL football and juve with higher demands? zlatan on the other hand understands all of that

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Excuse me, please do not think of me as a person who has sunk so low to not know anything about Adriano and especially Adrian Mutu. But anyways, I disagree with your assessment on Mutu making Adriano who he is today, that's just crap

as I've said before, Gilardino is a massive talent. but he still is not a totally proven player. what are the chances of him just doing good this season and failing the next? what are the chances of him failing to adapt to CL football and juve with higher demands? zlatan on the other hand understands all of that
Well, you can look at it this way. Zlatan might have C.L. experiance, so that could be a plus. But on the other hand Zlatan is not PROVEN in the Serie A. Gilardino has over 20 goals for Parma this season, and how many goals does Zlatan have for Ajax? 10? No disrespect to the Dutch Erediviste, but it is far below the standereds of the Serie A. If Zlatan comes to Juve, I think he might find it hard to compete in the Serie A, while Alberto has had a SUCCESSFUL season in the Serie A; being that is a proven goalscorer in Italy. I say why not take someone who is:

1) Proven goalscorer in the Serie A
2) Italian (already knows the language, knows the culture, knows the style of football)
3) Possibly cheaper than Zlatan anyway
4) A Juventus supporter ALL his life

These facts above clearly show why Gilardino would be a better fit for our team. So in sort of different ways, BOTH Zlatan and Gilardino are unproven players, but what young talents are for that matter? But when it comes down to the plain facts, you must choose the applicant who has the better credentials. So it just makes more sense to me to choose Gilardino over Zlatan.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
If Deschamps become our new coach it is according to sources going to be Morientes who replaces Trezeguet.
But I really think we should wait 'til after EURo and see how Zlatan performs there. Of course the prize will become higher if he does well but we need a really good player now.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andrea Becchi ] ++

I say why not take someone who is:

2) Italian (already knows the language, knows the culture, knows the style of football)

agreed :thumb:.

i can say that if di vaio and trez go, then gilardino can 100% substitute di vaio, and in about two years, he will be first team striker, if he isn't becoming first next season..

i say we should go for gila.

Aug 1, 2003
point 2, 3, 4 are fine, although point 4 doesn't really determine much. proven? just for one season. that's not proven. if he can repeat the good form with the exception of major injuries etc I would snap him.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
point 2, 3, 4 are fine, although point 4 doesn't really determine much. proven? just for one season. that's not proven. if he can repeat the good form with the exception of major injuries etc I would snap him.
He also scored multiple goals for Hellas Verona with the help of Camoranesi, Mutu and co.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Zlatan is a fine player, no doubt about it, but like Andrea Becchi I maintain that Gilardino is the better man for JUVENTUS. He's not necessarily the better player, even though I think he is, but he's definitely more suited to Juve imo.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Andrea Becchi ] ++
Well, you can look at it this way. Zlatan might have C.L. experiance, so that could be a plus. But on the other hand Zlatan is not PROVEN in the Serie A. Gilardino has over 20 goals for Parma this season, and how many goals does Zlatan have for Ajax? 10? No disrespect to the Dutch Erediviste, but it is far below the standereds of the Serie A. If Zlatan comes to Juve, I think he might find it hard to compete in the Serie A, while Alberto has had a SUCCESSFUL season in the Serie A; being that is a proven goalscorer in Italy. I say why not take someone who is:

These facts above clearly show why Gilardino would be a better fit for our team. So in sort of different ways, BOTH Zlatan and Gilardino are unproven players, but what young talents are for that matter? But when it comes down to the plain facts, you must choose the applicant who has the better credentials. So it just makes more sense to me to choose Gilardino over Zlatan.
Nice theory except its nearly completely wrong imo. You're comparing a striker to a forward.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
But that in itself says that we should get Gila and not Zlatan, doesn't it? We need a striker, not a forward, correct?

PS. I know that Ibrahimovic can play in a more advanced role if need be, but still...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
You can't say whether we need a striker or a forward at this point if you ask me. Sure, Trezeguet has fallen deeply but rumours that Del Piero is leaving also have not vanished entirely yet.

But you're right in saying that we shouldn't get Zlatan if we're looking for a striker.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I highly doubt DP'll leave though, but if he does Zlatan would be a very good replacement. As would Chevanton, Mutu or Torres.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Nice theory except its nearly completely wrong imo. You're comparing a striker to a forward.
How is it completely wrong? Gilardino is not a proven goalscorer in Serie A? Is Alberto not Italian? Does he not know the style of football in Italy? Is he more expensive than Zlatan? Has Gilardino not stated before that he is a Juve supporter?

I was comparing Zlatan to Gilardino considering the fact that they would both, which ever one came to Juve, take Trezeguet's role. Whether it be Zlatan or Alberto, they would fill the void left by David.

And if we are talking about the difference between a striker and a forward, then why the hell would we take someone who is not a natural striker, eventhough Zlatan could play as one. I think it is rather stupid to differentiate between the roles of two players, considering that they would fill the same void. It is more about how the player would fit into the Juve squad, and produce for the team. That is why, again, Stuart and I have chosen Gilardino as the right replacement for Trezeguet.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I did say nearly and I was referring to this bit:

++ [ originally posted by Andrea Becchi ] ++ Gilardino has over 20 goals for Parma this season, and how many goals does Zlatan have for Ajax? 10? No disrespect to the Dutch Erediviste, but it is far below the standereds of the Serie A. If Zlatan comes to Juve, I think he might find it hard to compete in the Serie A, while Alberto has had a SUCCESSFUL season in the Serie A; being that is a proven goalscorer in Italy. I say why not take someone who is:

Zlatan is not a striker, you cannot, therefor, just compare the amount of goals both have scored. They have very different playing styles.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Zlatan is a fine player, no doubt about it, but like Andrea Becchi I maintain that Gilardino is the better man for JUVENTUS. He's not necessarily the better player, even though I think he is, but he's definitely more suited to Juve imo.

agreed :thumb:

slack

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Everyone is having their say on Trez so I'm just going to go ahead and have mine as well.

Imho, Trezeguet is very good at what he does best, which is heading, finishing, positioning, those sort of things, but that's one of the reasons why I want him to leave. PERSONALLY, I don't like players who can't help their teammates in the build-up. I want a more rounded player who can hold up the ball well and run with it and distribute it to a certain degree. My opinion is that a player with these qualities would take alot of the pressure off the shoulder's of Del Piero and the offensive midfielders. If we still had a fantastic midfield with Zidane, Davids, and Nedved, Trezzy's inefficiencies when it comes to technical stuff could be swept under the rug. It wouldn't matter anymore. So why don't we just build a brilliant midfield and keep Trez, you ask? That's definitely a possibility but I think that it would be much easier to replace Trezeguet with Gilardino, Morientes, or Drogba (maybe Zlatan) than bring in Emerson, Rothen and Van der Vaart to improve the midfield.
Let's start by fixing where it is broken. My limited understanding is that the strikers need more help from the midfielders, not the other way round. We can always surrender the midfield again but route-one football doesn't exactly appeal to many. I appreciate your concern on the financial scheme of things but a plug-gap solution is much more costly in the long-run. Besides, a good midfield is a better basis to tweak a team from ... comparatively.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
I did say nearly and I was referring to this bit:

Zlatan is not a striker, you cannot, therefor, just compare the amount of goals both have scored. They have very different playing styles.
Well, I am not comparing just the amount of goals they each score. I know they have different roles, but when it comes down to it they would both have the same role for Juve if they were to come in for Trez.

And another point that makes Gilardino the leading candidate IMO is that Alberto is not only limited to touch around goal; he also can come back and help with the buildup play. Maybe not as much of a fancy way as Zlatan, but he surely can do it more effectively than Trez.

So as manager, would you rather have someone who could add more to the buildup play, or someone who could do both roles of build up and scoring, while being one of the top scorers in Italy? I would most certainly choose the latter myself.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Zlatan could do both, he has done so on one or two occasions for Ajax, its just not what Koeman wants of him most of the time.

And I realise that whichever striker or forward we bought would probably replace Trezeguet - but I never said Zlatan should do that. Cause I think he shouldn't, it would be a waste of his qualities to say the least.

I just stated I think its very tricky to just compare a forward to a striker like that :)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by slack ] ++

Let's start by fixing where it is broken. My limited understanding is that the strikers need more help from the midfielders, not the other way round. We can always surrender the midfield again but route-one football doesn't exactly appeal to many. I appreciate your concern on the financial scheme of things but a plug-gap solution is much more costly in the long-run. Besides, a good midfield is a better basis to tweak a team from ... comparatively.
My choice of words probably wasn't the best, but I'm sure you get what I mean. The strikers aren't supposed to help the midfielders per say, but if we had a striker who didn't rely on service like Trezeguet does, the midfield wouldn't be required to supply as many assists as they currently have to because players like Gilardino and Morientes can make goals for themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)