Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I think the issue is that it is hard to truly judge how good a coach is at Real. Especially the Real side he had with Ronaldo, Modric, Ramos, Kroos, Benzema all in their prime. There is no doubt he did an excellent job but the squad was superb.

The title win this year is a big one for him as they turned things around and pulled together as a squad.

I agree that having a squad this good might confuse the picture and I would agree with you that it doesn't say much about his abilities had they won it only once. But 3 times back to back? Thats insanely impressive regardless of how good the squad was. The only other time this squad won the CL was with Ancellotti who everyone recognizes as a CL expert and a top coach. Madrid had many Galacticos in the past and at best won it once. You could make the case against Zidane if it was a fluke one time win but 3 times is unprecedented dominance.

Moreover, it's not like they are the only club to have a very strong squad. They are the only ones to win it consecutively let alone 3 times back to back. Most teams with strong squads would be lavished with praise if they win it once. The tactical nous, people management and fitness coaching that it takes to get a top team to have this consistency in Europe is very difficult that no one else managed to come close to it before. The Barca that had Messi, Suarez and Neymar leading the attack won it once. Pep's Barca won it twice but not back to back. As Juve fans we should know more than any other fanbase how difficult it is to win the CL once let alone thrice despite having super squads and good coaches.

I also don't know what standard is being used by the doubters that 3 back to back CLs, and a Liga win like this one doesn't exceed. By this standard, there is absolutely nothing a coach can do to prove himself if he has a super squad. Would 4 be enough? 5? Is there any coach in history that can meet this standard?

In short, 3 times back to back shows its not a fluke, other super teams with coaches we all respect as top level never came close to his achievement, and by this crazy standard no coach in history is a top coach.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
you guys think ZZ will leave Real after this ...NO WAY don't have false dreams ZZ even if he wants to Perez will not him leave ....forget it ...

reality seems Sarri staying ...:berna2:

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
I thougnt brilliantly talented players cant be good coaches. Zidane might be only the 2nd after Cruyff.
It's same for the ex-players kids mostly, especially if they were one of the greats. It's prob the life they've had since the young age, not really a "need" to succeed, because you're set with the rest of your life. Could be something to do with the coaching as well, like if your career ended at 29yr on the 6th division, you're probably desperate to make a living from something and might as well focus on something, that you have previous experience from.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
The greatest footballing individual in the history of the game? Only person who I can think of at his level in terms of success as both a player and manager is Cruyff.
I'd say you could put Beckenbauer as well in the list. He won both the WC as a player and coach, as a coach he reached two finals, one in 1986 and won it in 1990.

On top of that did he win the Uefa Cup with Bayern in 1996, back when it was a really good tournament.

But yeah I'd still give the edge to Zidane and Cruyff as they managed club sides for much longer, Beckenbauer was mostly interim as a club manager. But winning the WC with Germany puts him in the bowl too imo.

Cruyff is probably number one as he did something special with that Barca team in the start 90's.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Cause this isn't Real Madrid forum.
So he wasnt a legend for us?!
I guess picking up a golden ball means nothing nowadays...
Also he isnt a traitor or something - He left to Real Madrid (not Inter or something)
Lippi left us for Inter although he came back in the end and I doubt there is a single person here that would say he isnt a legend..

I can understand why Conte could be in this section (although he is a legend too for me as he took us from 7th place to begin the total dominance era)..

rainhard

May 5, 2004
I guess picking up a golden ball means nothing nowadays...
Also he isnt a traitor or something - He left to Real Madrid (not Inter or something)
Lippi left us for Inter although he came back in the end and I doubt there is a single person here that would say he isnt a legend..

I can understand why Conte could be in this section (although he is a legend too for me as he took us from 7th place to begin the total dominance era)..
And because of his sale to RM we get Buffon, Nedved and Thuram

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It's a personal choice (I don't decide who goes into which section) but I wouldn't say he was a Juve legend, no. Serie A was very competitive then but in terms of personal and team the output was fairly modest in his 5 years. What can't be denied was his brilliant talent. But I do tend to agree with Moggi who said his spell was more style than substance.

He won the Ballon D'Or and FIFA award in 1998 courtesy of winning the World Cup for France, even if Juve did have a scudetto and CL final season.

Went to Real Madrid because he thought he had a better chance of winning the CL there. Which I thought was pretty rich for someone who hadn't scored a goal in 20 European games at that point, and was a sometimes tempestuous and frustrating player in the competition. He won it at RM in his first season there and never again as a player, as well as 1 La Liga title, also in 5 years. As the original 'Galacticos' Real Madrid were massive underachievers. I'd go so far as to argue that Zidane wasn't even a Real Madrid legend at that point.

Now he's coach and has won a hat-trick of CL titles and La Liga twice, so he's firmly established as a Real Madrid legend above all else.

Zidane is a football legend, and also rated so highly because of his elegant style and skill, as well as some clutch final moments....just none for Juve.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
It's a personal choice (I don't decide who goes into which section) but I wouldn't say he was a Juve legend, no. Serie A was very competitive then but in terms of personal and team the output was fairly modest in his 5 years. What can't be denied was his brilliant talent. But I do tend to agree with Moggi who said his spell was more style than substance.

He won the Ballon D'Or and FIFA award in 1998 courtesy of winning the World Cup for France, even if Juve did have a scudetto and CL final season.

Went to Real Madrid because he thought he had a better chance of winning the CL there. Which I thought was pretty rich for someone who hadn't scored a goal in 20 European games at that point, and was a sometimes tempestuous and frustrating player in the competition. He won it at RM in his first season there and never again as a player, as well as 1 La Liga title, also in 5 years. As the original 'Galacticos' Real Madrid were massive underachievers. I'd go so far as to argue that Zidane wasn't even a Real Madrid legend at that point.

Now he's coach and has won a hat-trick of CL titles and La Liga twice, so he's firmly established as a Real Madrid legend above all else.

Zidane is a football legend, and also rated so highly because of his elegant style and skill, as well as some clutch final moments....just none for Juve.
One person can be a legend at more than one club, you know.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Looking from the outside I'd say Zidane is not a Juve legend as he seems to only associate himself with Real Madrid. Not that he can't like Juventus he just seems to have love for Real Madrid, not Juve.

One thing is what you achieve at a certain club and while he might have achieved more individually at Juventus does he seem to value his Real time way more. To me is that also important if you consider someone legend of your club, they need to have a certain affection and Zidane doesn't seem to have that for Juve - maybe I'm just wrong?

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
The question remains: why would he want to come here? He's clearly a Madridista, things are going well for him over there. He's not a journeyman like Pep, he even stated that multiple times: he's not interested in coaching career for the next 20 years. I'm pretty sure he'd be interested in coaching France after RM, afterwards he'd probably call it a day.

The only way he comes, would be if the fortune turns against him at Madrid and he's fired. Yeah, that's difficult to imagine, I know.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Looking from the outside I'd say Zidane is not a Juve legend as he seems to only associate himself with Real Madrid. Not that he can't like Juventus he just seems to have love for Real Madrid, not Juve.

One thing is what you achieve at a certain club and while he might have achieved more individually at Juventus does he seem to value his Real time way more. To me is that also important if you consider someone legend of your club, they need to have a certain affection and Zidane doesn't seem to have that for Juve - maybe I'm just wrong?
I dare anyone to find a football fan who would claim that this is not a legendary image:

PS also:

Attachments

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
I dare anyone to find a football fan who would claim that this is not a legendary image:
but how is that relevant for the topic though? :p

about the twitter pic, that's up to personal preferences as they're totally different players. As good as Silva is/was he shouldn't be amongst them though imo

the 3 others are GOAT material in their own position

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)