Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
there was acres of space on the field.
One of the reasons it's so hard to compare players across eras and also why Mexico '70 is held up by a generation as some kind of perfect World Cup that is never likely to be replicated (unless the heat in Qatar is enough to make the games incredibly open).

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I'm with maradona on this. people overrated pele

Maradona achieved with a mediocre argentine side, against very strong opposition, what pele did with the best brasil in history.

Also, maradona was tackled MUCH harder, space was smaller (apart from dat goal), etc

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

Maradona achieved with a mediocre argentine side, against very strong opposition, what pele did with the best brasil in history.

Also, maradona was tackled MUCH harder, space was smaller (apart from dat goal), etc
Against England?

Yeah, they're stupid regardless of era.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
the entire world has been labelling it the greatest goal ever.

he had 3 meters of space each time he passed an opponent.

Garrincha would have scored it, and made the run in half the time it took maradona.

- - - Updated - - -

let me kick in an open door here

that goal zlatan made with ajax, where he dribbeled half their team on 9m². much harder to pull off

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
Against England?

Yeah, they're stupid regardless of era.
Considering Pele as better than Maradona is stupid? It's debatable. Maradona was more important to his team, but that's no indication of whether he was a better player.

- - - Updated - - -

World cup 70 was arguably the greatest world cup of all time according to all those that watched it.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
The problem with pele, is the same as with messi

They got a massive offensive machine behind them, that took a while before teams knew how to handle it.

pele's brazil is a strong candidate for best national team ever

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Considering Pele as better than Maradona is stupid? It's debatable. Maradona was more important to his team, but that's no indication of whether he was a better player.
Wasn't commenting on Pele v Maradona.

Was merely saying the English have been consistently stupid over the years, having never learned how to close down space in key areas of the pitch.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
he'd have gotten send off 5 times with a modern ref
Too simplistic to say that.

I'm sure Gentile wouldn't have played Maradona in the same fashion if faced with a modern ref.

Whether he could have contained Maradona without doing what he did is, of course, another matter.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
Nah, they just said that because football was played offensively, and it featured the best brazil in history.
There were important contenders. Beckenbauer's and Müller's Germany, Rivera's Italy, Moore and Charlton's England and Brazil. Plus, there were dramatic semi finals. Germany - Italy is labeled as one of the most entertaining matches of all World Cup.

Not related to my point, but I saw a tape of one match, that was Brazil - Czechoslovakia and Jairzinho and Pele were amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't commenting on Pele v Maradona.

Was merely saying the English have been consistently stupid over the years, having never learned how to close down space in key areas of the pitch.
My bad.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with pele, is the same as with messi

They got a massive offensive machine behind them, that took a while before teams knew how to handle it.

pele's brazil is a strong candidate for best national team ever
If you stand out by being the best from the best, it's definitely more meaningful than being a big fish in a small pond imo.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
No player has been so domminant on his own and had it lasted for 3 years, as platini. resulting in the ballon d'or 3x in a row.

the midfield general, that also was a topscorer. in serie a. in europe.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
platini scored more goals in a single international tournament, then pele ever did.

he wasent backed by legendary 70ties brazil, and he was a midfielder

- - - Updated - - -

pele had a better overall carreer

but 1982-1985 platini, was from another planet.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
platini scored more goals in a single international tournament, then pele ever did.

he wasent backed by legendary 70ties brazil, and he was a midfielder

- - - Updated - - -

pele had a better overall carreer

but 1982-1985 platini, was from another planet.
Pelé already had 2 world cups several years before he was "backed up" by that 70's team. But If that's the case, so was Platini by Tigana, Giresse and Fernandez.

An International competiton is only 5-8 matches.

Platini's spree lasted for hardly 5 years. Pelé's for almost 20.

Messi's on his fourth ballon d'or in a row.

82's Brazil was the most entertaining Brazilian team of all time, not the 1970. And IMO the best.

98's France is ONE of the best, but hardly top 3. The story would have been different if Ronaldo haven't had a seizure right before the match. Plus they were outplayed by Croatia who were clearly the best team then. They were lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)