Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Some former WC players would maybe not cut it in modern football. For various reasons. For instance Roy Keane might still be good but he'd have to adapt his game so much that he wouldn't be WC anymore. Zidane, however, would and will fit in at any time anywhere. I was really sad when he left us (grateful today for what we did with the money). Of all players he is the one I have enjoyed most. He truly is from another planet. I don't youtube old clips but whenever I stumble upon something old from him I watch it because his touch was just breathtaking. Every. Single. Touch.

As a coach, I still can't make sense of him. Only saw RM in CL and that was occasional. But I never really figured Zidane out. What is his philosophy? Seemed to get it wrong a lot but good at fixing his errs with subs. Took over from Benitez, who to so many's surprise wasn't cut for RM. Who could have known? Anyway, seems like he is good with people and tactically acute. More like Allegri in the regard that he adapts to circumstances or opposition rather than being, e.g., possession driven. So less attack and more balance. Nothing really sticks out from my very few times a saw them. Not really high tempo, high pressure, not super-defensive nor attacking, not particularly wide or narrow. Just balance, seeking control. Very Italian in that sense and similar to Allegri. But again, I've seen way too little to make any real sense.

With the teams at his disposal it is easy to claim his road was kind of paved for him. But on both occasions he took over a stumbling team, so I don't know what to make of him. Would there be any difference if he was here instead of Allegri? I can't tell, I have a feeling there wouldn't be that much.

As a person I know even less. He helped Qatar get WC. So he likes money I suppose. He hasn't refuted the idea of coaching PSG. Again, money talks I guess and to step down to Cannes or Bordeaux wouldn't make sense. I guess he is waiting for NT but I kind of expect him to come here at some point in his career.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
The difference is Z has won everything you can win in football and is clearly great dealing with big players and egos. A difference you can't underestimate on top level.
I think 'tactics' and 'playing style' are only a small % of what a coach has to manage on a day-to-day basis. I'm guessing clubs like RM have professional analysts who figure the opposition out and come up with the actual tactical plan prior to the game. Then it's up to the coach to transfer the tactics onto the players. So it comes all down to personality, communication, motivating and profiling yourself between a group of high performing individuals.

This is why I also think Buffon would make a good coach at some day. He's very much a great communicator.

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
Some former WC players would maybe not cut it in modern football. For various reasons. For instance Roy Keane might still be good but he'd have to adapt his game so much that he wouldn't be WC anymore. Zidane, however, would and will fit in at any time anywhere
Yeah football has evolved to faster and physical game but football is also still an art where genius brain and technical ability are the most powerful traits to have.
Surely players like Zidane would still be WC in modern game. Players like Pirlo and Iniesta are probably the last geniuses that play in both era

May 23, 2013
I can't comment on the likes of Zidane and other 90s players. But I'm not a fan of the "modern football" narrative with regards to comparing today's with the late 2000s and 2010s. The vast majority of top players and managers from that era would adjust perfectly fine into today's football. Ancelotti and the old men of Madrid demonstrated that last season.

- - - Updated - - -

But on Zidane as a manager. There is no way that he will ever join now. But we certainly had a chance of signing him in 2018 and 2019.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)