Zidane named Europe's best (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
France's Zinedine Zidane has been voted the greatest European footballer of all time by listeners of BBC Five Live.
The midfielder, set to star at Euro 2004 this summer, gained 12% of the overall vote to finish ahead of the legendary Dutchman Johan Cruyff.

George Best came in third, but England captain David Beckham failed to make the top 40.

Arsenal's Thierry Henry and Manchester United's Roy Keane were the only current Premiership stars on the list.

Bobby Moore was the highest-placed Englishman, and top defender, in 8th position.

Kenny Dalglish was top Scot in 16th with the Republic of Ireland's only representative Keane, in 18th.

Wales also only had one player featured and that was the late John Charles who finished in 17th.

Peter Schmeichel was named top goalkeeper in 15th place.

Listeners were asked to vote for their Top 5 from the 40 players nominated by a Five Live football panel.

'Five Live's Euro Stars' will broadcast on Monday 31 May, 8.00-10.00pm, on BBC Radio Five Live.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    Not on this seasons performances...but he still has the Championships in Portugal to make amends

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    He might be Europe's best, but as Platini once famously said:

'What Zidane does with a ball, Maradona easily does with an orange !!'.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Zidane has been arguably one of the best players of our generation. But amazing how short-sighted we get when it comes to history beyond a dozen years.

Reminds me of how radio stations have these "Best songs of all time" countdowns and invariably crap like Britney Spears and 50 Cent show up in the Top 10 -- as if in 10 years we won't be laughing our pehookies off at them the way we now look back on M.C. Hammer and Ace of Base.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    Zidane has been arguably one of the best players of our generation. But amazing how short-sighted we get when it comes to history beyond a dozen years.

Reminds me of how radio stations have these "Best songs of all time" countdowns and invariably crap like Britney Spears and 50 Cent show up in the Top 10 -- as if in 10 years we won't be laughing our pehookies off at them the way we now look back on M.C. Hammer and Ace of Base.
    From my point of view he is the best and has nothing to do with time, it has to do withthe fact at his very best , noone I have seen who is regarded as a European player has his skills , balance and elegance

He does not have Platini';s range of passes or vision but he is way better dribbler and manipulator of the ball and Cruff might have been nearly as elegant but he is not as good as Zz imo

And whats wrong with 50cents?:D

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    From my point of view he is the best and has nothing to do with time, it has to do withthe fact at his very best , noone I have seen who is regarded as a European player has his skills , balance and elegance

He does not have Platini';s range of passes or vision but he is way better dribbler and manipulator of the ball and Cruff might have been nearly as elegant but he is not as good as Zz imo

And whats wrong with 50cents?:D
    Amen tothat.... Zidane simply makes difficult things to look like a piece of cake...

and the way he moves with the ball.. hehe just class and elegant.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    He might be Europe's best, but as Platini once famously said:

That maybe an interesting circus act but how does it help him on the pitch? :D

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    France's Zinedine Zidane has been voted the greatest European footballer of all time by listeners of BBC Five Live.
    The midfielder, set to star at Euro 2004 this summer, gained 12% of the overall vote to finish ahead of the legendary Dutchman Johan Cruyff.

George Best came in third, but England captain David Beckham failed to make the top 40.

Arsenal's Thierry Henry and Manchester United's Roy Keane were the only current Premiership stars on the list.
    Well, at least there are good things in this list ;)

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++

And whats wrong with 50cents? :D
    True that. Zz totally deserves it.
    Now let me listen to some Zz Tops :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    And Cruyff can do it with a packet of cigarettes. He starred in a Dutch television commercial a while ago, dribbling a package of cigarettes before shooting it to oblivion as part of an anti-smoking campaign. :cool:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    And Cruyff can do it with a packet of cigarettes. He starred in a Dutch television commercial a while ago, dribbling a package of cigarettes before shooting it to oblivion as part of an anti-smoking campaign. :cool:
    Who was the goalie?

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Hmmm interesting.
    Could not help but notice that you had nothing to say about the people's choice. Or was it subtly implied by Cruyff & the cigarettes ad?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    Thierry Henry was on the list :wth: good heavens the worlds gone crazy.
    it seems the whole world's gone nuts about Henry,huh Tom?:D
    but whatever thierry does i'm sure you'd never get convinced that he is really what he's cracked up to be;)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
    it seems the whole world's gone nuts about Henry,huh Tom?:D
    but whatever thierry does i'm sure you'd never get convinced that he is really what he's cracked up to be;)
    i agree !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)