Zdenek Grygera (18 Viewers)

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
icεmαή;2699144 said:
Funny thing is that he generally plays better as LB for Juve, its not the first time he's playing there and doing a decent job...
:agree:

One of his best performances for Juve was against Genoa when Ranieri used him as a left back. He scored twice and was solid in defense IIRC.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
When Grygera, who is a rightback, does better than De Ceglie, who is a left back, at leftback, then you know there is a major problem.
But he isn't playing better, the difference is that he played in the one game this season so far that we dominated. If he had played in a game that defense came under serious pressure he would have been just as bad if not worse than PDC.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
But he isn't playing better, the difference is that he played in the one game this season so far that we dominated. If he had played in a game that defense came under serious pressure he would have been just as bad if not worse than PDC.
The major difference between De Ceglie and Grygera is that Grygera understands that his priority is defending a fullback position. De CEglie doesnt understand this.

One of the reasons we dominated this game was because we were very tight at the back. The gap between defence and midfield was small. We even seemed capable of stepping up, as a defensive line, to play opponents offside. Whether Sali or Grygera had played there, I am sure the same solidity would have been evident. It makes a massive difference to have 4 defenders, as opposed to 3 plus a de ceglie. Grygera occupying the left back zone meant that there was not a constantly huge space there, undefended, for opponents to attack. This meant that we were also more secure in the middle, as chiellini could stay central, rather than play CB+LB.

Its the reasons for us dominating, you seem to be judging very differently to me, fish. I don't think Udinese are incredibly poor. We have better players, and our team was simply solid on the day. Krasic and Pepe both did more to support the fullbacks than the fullbacks did to support them, but that is the way I thought that Del Neri played at Samp...with wingers close to the fullbacks, deep, ready to spring forward, and run back to help defend, constantly. This is why Pepe is a good signing, he has the eagerness and stamina. Krasic has eagerness, stamina and potentially world class talent.

Stronger central midfield today. Melo and Marchisio is taking shape nicely.
we played with a left back, when usually we dont.
Wingers added extra defensive line to cut off flank attacks.

Those are the reasons why i thought we dominated.

and grygera was involved, defensively, and did fine.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
So what? Even if Grygera was MOM today its not like he will suddenly spring to any kind of lasting top form at the beginning of his fourth season with Juventus.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
An assumption replied by even greater assumption. This makes it seem like De Ceglie is actually proper as LB.

We've used Grygera as LB before in previous seasons, and he looked safe there. Can't go forward, but defensive positioning-wise sound.

Zidaninho

Aug 31, 2010
He did well all game - no real scares (except one or two Sanchez long balls which almost led to goals!)

Who cares if he can't go forward, let him defend - Pepe can go forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)