Your desktop here (3 Viewers)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
very nice Martin :thumb:

i see you got a Linux OS, which one is it?
I've never used Linux before, is it any different than Unix Solaris OS?? i hear they are similar.
:cool:
here my WinXP Pro Desktop:

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #3
    It's hard for me to tell cause.... I never used Unix... :D

Unix = pay [with few exceptions]
    Linux = free

;)

I run Gentoo Linux over here, I've come to really like it. Still got Windows around but one day I may give it up.

About Gentoo:
    www.gentoo.org

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    WinXP has been giving me a lot of problems. i want another OS on my PC. should i make another partition to keep the other OS?

BTW, any comments about my Desktop?!

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #5
    lol sorry... :D Looks very slick ;)

You could start out with a separate partition, experiment with it ;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    lol sorry... :D Looks very slick ;)

You could start out with a separate partition, experiment with it ;)
    i already have 2 partitions. one for my docs and the other for the WinXP OS files.

i guess i could try three, though i hope it doesn't require me to format both :groan:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #8
    :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ever heard of Partition Magic, it does whatever you command without saying a word ;):cap:

I got 10 partitions on my 80GB drive right now... :D

C - WinXP system and various junk that comes with it (7G)
    D - Software (15G)
    E - Documents (7G)
    F - Media (15G)
    G - Download/install (20G)
    gentoo linux boot (100M)
    gentoo linux root (/) (6.5G)
    gentoo linux root (/root) (2.5G)
    gentoo linux swap (1G)
    lindows root (/) (2G)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    thnx :D

why does linux require all those partitions?!! :rolleyes:

i can't have that many anyway as my HD is only 40Gb big.
    (not bad for a laptop though :D )

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #10
    Well you should have at least 3 with Gentoo. I added the /root separately so I can kill the root (/) and keep my settings and files :D

What kind of laptop? I installed Gentoo on one I had a while back (40G it was too), fun when it works and of course I couldn't find a decent display driver for windows while the linux driver worked like a charm :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    i have a Dell Inspiron 4100:
    40Gs
    P3 1.2 GHZ
    512 mb RAM :strong:
    CD-RW or Floppy Drive (swappable)
    14.1" SXGA TFT screen.
    1.47" thick (closed)

i bought it in Dec 2001....and it's still alive (barely! ;) )

i need to try out Linux....
    what are the advanteges of Linux over Windows?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #12
    Oh you got a Ctrl+Alt+Dell... :D
    I heard they have the worst support but their stuff rarely crashes. :)

"swappable"??? Did you really buy into that ad or what?? :D That's like saying you can have different resolutions by plugging in different CRT monitors ;):D:p

First of all, Linux is free. 1-0 ;) Otherwise it certainly *is* lacking in software but it's coming along, over the past 3-4 years it's really come a long long way. And if you look hard enough you will find everything you need in Linux, although it should be noted not all apps are as good and user friendly as they could be [yet].

One of the fun things about Linux is that you can make a lot of the decisions, how it's supposed to look, what goes where, basically it's all in your hands. In M$ Win you're stuck with the friggin My Documents, stuff that's integrated into the OS some of which I really hate (like the msn client). Now it is possible to work around this but I just can't be bothered to dig up workarounds for all the annoying stuff in every new version of Win. Linux doesn't impose that kind of thing on you, freedom of choice.

But then Linux (apart from RedHat and Mandrake) isn't ready to use out of the box, it takes some doing [and learning] to get it working.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Oh you got a Ctrl+Alt+Dell... :D
    I heard they have the worst support but their stuff rarely crashes. :)

"swappable"??? Did you really buy into that ad or what?? :D That's like saying you can have different resolutions by plugging in different CRT monitors ;):D:p

First of all, Linux is free. 1-0 ;) Otherwise it certainly *is* lacking in software but it's coming along, over the past 3-4 years it's really come a long long way. And if you look hard enough you will find everything you need in Linux, although it should be noted not all apps are as good and user friendly as they could be [yet].

One of the fun things about Linux is that you can make a lot of the decisions, how it's supposed to look, what goes where, basically it's all in your hands. In M$ Win you're stuck with the friggin My Documents, stuff that's integrated into the OS some of which I really hate (like the msn client). Now it is possible to work around this but I just can't be bothered to dig up workarounds for all the annoying stuff in every new version of Win. Linux doesn't impose that kind of thing on you, freedom of choice.

But then Linux (apart from RedHat and Mandrake) isn't ready to use out of the box, it takes some doing [and learning] to get it working.

actually the name of my computer on my LAN is "DELL Piero" ;)
    :cool:

Also, having the swappable feature is not in every laptop. not all laptops can allow you to remove and insert drives without Shutting down!

actually, Dell has great support and it also rarely has problems.
    Their support is great!
    my Laptop screen got damaged from a security officer at heathrow airport who was checking my bag when i was returning from vacation. Anyway, i was pi$$ed, so i got back home and called Dell (luckily i had a 3 year warrenty). Anyway, i told them the problem and they said that a guy will come by the next day and pick up my laptop from my front door!
    anyway, as promimsed, a guy knocked on my door the next day and in his hand was a padded box to place the PC in. i gave it too him and in less then 40 hours, i had my laptop back!!
    it actually went to Nashville, TN to their repair shop and they replaced the LCD screen and returned it in less than 2 days!!

i call that service!!

anyway, about cutomization problems in windows, i dont think it's much of a problem. i'd rather have an OS that can run most of the software then one that looks sharp but has less functionality.

Maybe in a couple of years i'll go for Linux. but right now, i have plans for getting a tablet PC :thumb:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    BTW Martin, Don't you notice that we're the only ones participating in this thread!! :LOL:

what does this fact suggest ;)

:geek:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #15
    What kind of Lan you got? :)

Maybe in the land of the producer then, I've read a few horror stories from Norwegian users though. Like it took them 2 months to get it back and stuff.

Not a problem for you maybe, blindly following the shephard. I like to get it my way ;) And storing anything in My Documents is dum the day your win crashes and you need to format...

See that's a misconception, there is no investment involved in Linux, financially that is ;) Open Source :cool:

Besides, if you get into Linux too we can geek it up a notch :cool::geek::cap:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    What kind of Lan you got? :)

Maybe in the land of the producer then, I've read a few horror stories from Norwegian users though. Like it took them 2 months to get it back and stuff.

Not a problem for you maybe, blindly following the shephard. I like to get it my way ;) And storing anything in My Documents is dum the day your win crashes and you need to format...

See that's a misconception, there is no investment involved in Linux, financially that is ;) Open Source :cool:

Besides, if you get into Linux too we can geek it up a notch :cool::geek::cap:
    Just a home Ethernet LAN setup with WinXp using a Linksys Router....nothing special.

i dont kown what's the problem with my docs, it keeps everything organized. and who said you have to lose your files if win crashes?!!

i have two Drives:
    Drive C: WINDOWS, and other sys folders
    Drive M: My Documents, Game, and Computer Science.

that way, i dont lose my stuff when i format C.

In XP, you can change the path of My Docs from one drive to another.....pretty simple.

Linux being open source is very kewl :cool: of course, but not having all the options in terms of software is annoying

BTW, i think we can geek up anything a notch ;)

:D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    Home Lan, yeah done that myself, still runs in fact, a couple of Win clients with a Netopia DSL router.

How the F do you change the path of the My Docs?? Whenever Win crashes on me (not that often ever since I got rid of 98) I don't care to dissect the OS, I just wipe the drive. And since docs, mail, addressbook, bookmarks, settings are stored next to system files [moronic system] I try to copy them out but more often than not forget a few things. Windows is not meant to be installed more than once, basta. I've experienced enough aggravation on this point for a lifetime. (And of you can preserve your docs, just a matter of copying them but planning ahead it's a lot better and u'r less likely to leave somin out.)

I've been using linux largely to learn how it works, you do learn a lot. And it's fabulous for server functions, waaay outdoes Win. It's on desktop that Linux is still a bit rough around the edges but things are moving quickly. I mean even fonts look quite good in my Linux system, talk about revelation, fonts used to be a major issue all this time.

But I won't ditch Windows for all the software I need, like Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc. There are substitutes in Linux, esp for Photoshop but I'm too lazy to learn how to use them since Ps covers my needs. :D

hoshi

Sep 2, 2002
    :stress: so nerdy :down:;)
    nah, i think this thread is cool :D i'm the biggest female geek there is (apparently) but you'd never know it from my desktop cuz i use crappy xp with my brother's desktop stylie - scrubs cast bg, etc. i'd post a pic except it's too embarrassing.

nb. my claim list to being a geek is extensive, not least of which being that i used to play video games for a living :D coolest job in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)