Xabi Alonso (7 Viewers)

After the Poulsen signing, will Secco, Blanc and cie still buy Xabi Alonso?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
nice to see that liverpool are struggling now. To greedy for those 2 or 3 millions, and now they can't get barry (who already said goodbye to villa) and are left with their xabi on the bench... It's laughable really... If i were in the juve management, i'd sent them a fax now; "Xabi for 10 millions, take it or leave it" :) :)
No, seriously now... I'm glad we didn't fall for their game, the fact that they can't sell xabi shows that we were doing the right thing NOT to get him. Maybe they'll come begging at our door some day to get rid of him (in winter-transfer-period maybe.... who knows) and then WE are making the business.

Sad Statue

wannabe Bart Simpson
Mar 28, 2006
nice to see that liverpool are struggling now. To greedy for those 2 or 3 millions, and now they can't get barry (who already said goodbye to villa) and are left with their xabi on the bench... It's laughable really... If i were in the juve management, i'd sent them a fax now; "Xabi for 10 millions, take it or leave it" :) :)
No, seriously now... I'm glad we didn't fall for their game, the fact that they can't sell xabi shows that we were doing the right thing NOT to get him. Maybe they'll come begging at our door some day to get rid of him (in winter-transfer-period maybe.... who knows) and then WE are making the business.
HEHEHEHEHEHEHE...

that would be just perfect...

or we could tell something even better...

Xabi for Almiron...

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
The Barry deal is fucking up so maybe they will keep Xabi, who is:

1. better
2. happy to stay
well to 1.: liverpool have mascherano, who is world-class on his position, and younger. Masch and Xabi could fit together, but they have other players for that position (don't even know the names...), and IF they want to strengthen their midfield, they should get someone versatile who can cover left wing also, and that is..... surprise-surprise: barry... So xabi may be better at CM, but for pool, barry is way more useful.

to your 2nd argument: "happy to stay" is relative. Remember when we were first linked with him? he was not 'so happy to stay' back then, and i wonder why he has changed his mind NOW... He surely is not happy to be benched in Liverpool for 3/4 of the games... 'happy to stay' means nothing in nowadays football.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Alonso, part of Spain’s Euro 2008-winning squad, has been told he can leave Anfield by manager Rafa Benitez as The Reds attempt to conclude a deal for Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.

Juventus had looked the most likely destination for the former Real Sociedad man but a move to Italy collapsed, leaving the 26-year old in limbo.

The Mirror, however, reports that Fenerbahce have installed Alonso as their priority signing this summer as they bolster their squad ready for a Champions League onslaught next term.

Should a deal between the two clubs be completed, the classy player will join former team-mate Harry Kewell in Istanbul, with the Australian completing his own controversial move to Galatasaray earlier this month.

Will Wood
goal.com :lol:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
well to 1.: liverpool have mascherano, who is world-class on his position, and younger. Masch and Xabi could fit together, but they have other players for that position (don't even know the names...), and IF they want to strengthen their midfield, they should get someone versatile who can cover left wing also, and that is..... surprise-surprise: barry... So xabi may be better at CM, but for pool, barry is way more useful.

to your 2nd argument: "happy to stay" is relative. Remember when we were first linked with him? he was not 'so happy to stay' back then, and i wonder why he has changed his mind NOW... He surely is not happy to be benched in Liverpool for 3/4 of the games... 'happy to stay' means nothing in nowadays football.
About you're Barry argument. He wouldn't play on the left. That would be dumb as he is most productive in the middle of the field. If we purchase him it will be for the middle of the park where he can be productive. He's slow and rather rubbish on the left as he lacks the creativity to make things happen.

As far as the Xabi saga goes... Here is the scoop.
There is really no way Xabi will be benched for three quarters of the game. Especially if we end up playing Gerrard on the right or behind Torres. Lucas is good but still young and unproven at the highest level. Our next best player is Plessis who is a Reserve star and needs to prove himself as well. Danny Guthrie was sold, so the stable of other players in the center of the pitch whose names you don't know really doesn't exist. After Xabi and Masch, its Lucas and Plessis.

Also at the beginning of the season is the Olympics in which Mash and Lucas will be playing so Xabi will have a spot during that stretch and depending on how things go it could be Masch having to play he was back into the team.

Now all of this is assuming we don't sign Barry and keep Xabi. Things can change and depending on our other signings, if we make any. We could be running anything from a 5-3-2, 4-4-2, to a 4-3-2-1. Most of which would have a spot for Xabi should he stay.

And then things could change should we make a big play in the transfer market because really I don't think anyone knows how much money Pool has or doesn't have. It's really a crap shoot right now and no matter what the experts say no one really has any idea how the market will turn out.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Easy to talk now. But it will be interesting to hear your tune after a string of draws in Serie A and back to back CL losses stemming from a lack of creativity in the central midfield. Those two or 3 millions will seem very laughable then.

Not saying it will happen but a similar scenario is not far off with the type of players in the central midfield.

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
About you're Barry argument. He wouldn't play on the left. That would be dumb as he is most productive in the middle of the field. If we purchase him it will be for the middle of the park where he can be productive. He's slow and rather rubbish on the left as he lacks the creativity to make things happen.

As far as the Xabi saga goes... Here is the scoop.
There is really no way Xabi will be benched for three quarters of the game. Especially if we end up playing Gerrard on the right or behind Torres. Lucas is good but still young and unproven at the highest level. Our next best player is Plessis who is a Reserve star and needs to prove himself as well. Danny Guthrie was sold, so the stable of other players in the center of the pitch whose names you don't know really doesn't exist. After Xabi and Masch, its Lucas and Plessis.

Also at the beginning of the season is the Olympics in which Mash and Lucas will be playing so Xabi will have a spot during that stretch and depending on how things go it could be Masch having to play he was back into the team.

Now all of this is assuming we don't sign Barry and keep Xabi. Things can change and depending on our other signings, if we make any. We could be running anything from a 5-3-2, 4-4-2, to a 4-3-2-1. Most of which would have a spot for Xabi should he stay.

And then things could change should we make a big play in the transfer market because really I don't think anyone knows how much money Pool has or doesn't have. It's really a crap shoot right now and no matter what the experts say no one really has any idea how the market will turn out.
i surely won't argue with you about barry or liverpool's tactics, because you surely know a lot more about it then i do. But that's what i read and heard from other liverpool-fans. Doesn't matter anyway, i never said xabi was bad, and i envy the pool-guys for having this player.

Easy to talk now. But it will be interesting to hear your tune after a string of draws in Serie A and back to back CL losses stemming from a lack of creativity in the central midfield. Those two or 3 millions will seem very laughable then.

Not saying it will happen but a similar scenario is not far off with the type of players in the central midfield.
You may be right, but as i said after we signed poulsen; Poulsen for 9.7 million is better than xabi for 22 million. I'm not talking about the players but rather about the deals. Xabi surely is the better player, but he surely is not '12-million-better'. This is my opinion, and we don't know if i'm right or wrong because we will never know because most probably, we won't be seeing xabi in a juve-shirt.
As I said, i'm glad we didn't fall for this mega-transfer. And it's undoubted that liverpool wants/wanted to sell xabi. First to us, now to fener. I mean it has been publicly stated, by rafa and by the pool authorities. And if you WANT to sell a player, you HAVE to accept negotiations as well. The price liverpool wanted was exagerated and everyone knows that.

Anyway, Barry or not Barry, Xabi benched or not, I couldn't care less to be honest - I'm glad we saved those millions in the end and with poulsen, we have at least someone who fights. Whether or not he will contribute to our play remains to be seen, but fighting-wise, i think we can agree that he's at least (!) on par with xabi... And those long range passes we all worshipped xabi for... well poulsen assist today was at least as impressive.
Again, i don't mean to compare 2 players, i compare the deals we made.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
i surely won't argue with you about barry or liverpool's tactics, because you surely know a lot more about it then i do. But that's what i read and heard from other liverpool-fans. Doesn't matter anyway, i never said xabi was bad, and i envy the pool-guys for having this player.

You may be right, but as i said after we signed poulsen; Poulsen for 9.7 million is better than xabi for 22 million. I'm not talking about the players but rather about the deals. Xabi surely is the better player, but he surely is not '12-million-better'. This is my opinion, and we don't know if i'm right or wrong because we will never know because most probably, we won't be seeing xabi in a juve-shirt.
As I said, i'm glad we didn't fall for this mega-transfer. And it's undoubted that liverpool wants/wanted to sell xabi. First to us, now to fener. I mean it has been publicly stated, by rafa and by the pool authorities. And if you WANT to sell a player, you HAVE to accept negotiations as well. The price liverpool wanted was exagerated and everyone knows that.

Anyway, Barry or not Barry, Xabi benched or not, I couldn't care less to be honest - I'm glad we saved those millions in the end and with poulsen, we have at least someone who fights. Whether or not he will contribute to our play remains to be seen, but fighting-wise, i think we can agree that he's at least (!) on par with xabi... And those long range passes we all worshipped xabi for... well poulsen assist today was at least as impressive.
Again, i don't mean to compare 2 players, i compare the deals we made.
I get you and I think we both agree on each others points. The Fener deal is probably nothing more than a rumor, it was goal.com after all. But apparently Atletico Madrid are interested, Xabi to Madrid would be scary in the the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)