Xabi Alonso (15 Viewers)

After the Poulsen signing, will Secco, Blanc and cie still buy Xabi Alonso?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
6m was way too ridiculous.With the quality Alonso would add to us,15 is a reasonable amount.Its overstated when you consider the injury hit season he's had,but its definatley not overstated when you consider his quality.I was expecting something along these lines TBH.Plus if they want 15m,we might be able to bring it down a little bit,to something around 12m.Its a good deal.Plus if you want to succeed next season and target a trophy,you need to open up your wallet.Either do that,or end up with second class players.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I know it says Pounds.But if you need quality players,you will need to spend cash.And we arent spending cash on a useless area.We're spending cash in a department that needs reinforcement.We need some creativity in midfield.Quality players dont come cheap.If you look at the alternatives..there is VDV,Aquilani and Lampard perhaps?Aquilani would cost well in excess of 20m.VDV would require a change of system,which Ranieri is not too exicted about.Lampard is turning 30,and plus he's apparently signed a new contract with Chelsea.Which else quality player,who fits in Ranieri's system,is up for grabs?The Marchisio argument wont work here.He's raw,and he needs to be a backup to a bigger player,so he can be moulded into the side slowly.The same goes for Cigarini.You need to loosen your purse strings if you're going to acquire quality.Yes you shoudnt do that with every single player that you want,but we're talking about a department that we've struggled in for a while now.So spending money for once,is justified.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I know it says Pounds.But if you need quality players,you will need to spend cash.And we arent spending cash on a useless area.We're spending cash in a department that needs reinforcement.We need some creativity in midfield.Quality players dont come cheap.If you look at the alternatives..there is VDV,Aquilani and Lampard perhaps?Aquilani would cost well in excess of 20m.VDV would require a change of system,which Ranieri is not too exicted about.Lampard is turning 30,and plus he's apparently signed a new contract with Chelsea.Which else quality player,who fits in Ranieri's system,is up for grabs?The Marchisio argument wont work here.He's raw,and he needs to be a backup to a bigger player,so he can be moulded into the side slowly.The same goes for Cigarini.You need to loosen your purse strings if you're going to acquire quality.Yes you shoudnt do that with every single player that you want,but we're talking about a department that we've struggled in for a while now.So spending money for once,is justified.
I thought you haven't seen that since you were saying 15mln... :p

Aquilani is good,injury prone but anyway he's going to stay at Rome.I agree if we get vad der Vaart we'd have to change system and probably Ranieri wouldn't like to do that but it's sad.He's great player.
Lampard will stay at Chelsea and I'm happy about it.He's good but we just can't afford his wages.Cigarini is not what we need at the moment.

I like Xabi and I think he'd do great in here but tbh I didn't expect him to be worth ~20mln euros.

But any of Xab,Lucho or Hamsik would be great IMO.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
I think 19 mil euro is maybe abit too much.15 in euros would be fair.

But still i say bring him,even for 19.

i have a feeling he'll fit in very well in our system.

Make it happen!

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Surprisingly he wasnt that bad there, he kept Baky Kone(who is a good player) in check all game long:bow:

We can buy Aquilani,Montolivo or Nasri for 20 million.Liverpoor bought him for £10.5 million.How can they want £15 million for 3 years older Alonso.

I am not surprised though.they are drunk 7/24.
Nasri's transfer alone would demand that sum.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
15m pounds for Xabi is not too much imo. He's a great player with a great vision and would add a lot of creativity in our midfield. He and Sissoko would form one of the best central midfield partnership in the world.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
We can buy Aquilani,Montolivo or Nasri for 20 million.Liverpoor bought him for £10.5 million.How can they want £15 million for 3 years older Alonso.

I am not surprised though.they are drunk 7/24.
Aquilani would cost in excess of 20m.The same goes for Nasri.Montolivo on the other hand,is still young.He isnt the big and proven signing that we're talking about.Liverpool want 15m for Alonso because he's been pretty good for them.And this is his 4th season at the club,not 3rd.Playing in the EPL would have opened up Alonso to a new market,a market that he was not a part of while he was at Soceidad,so his price would have naturally soared.This isnt an automobile that gets depreciated every year.This is a football player,and a player who does well will see his price go up.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Aquilani would cost in excess of 20m.The same goes for Nasri.Montolivo on the other hand,is still young.He isnt the big and proven signing that we're talking about.Liverpool want 15m for Alonso because he's been pretty good for them.And this is his 4th season at the club,not 3rd.Playing in the EPL would have opened up Alonso to a new market,a market that he was not a part of while he was at Soceidad,so his price would have naturally soared.This isnt an automobile that gets depreciated every year.This is a football player,and a player who does well will see his price go up.
I don't like this deal, i know that he's a quality player but to pay 19 million euros for him is not a smart business IMO. "If" all these news about liverpool struggling financially is true then they're most likely r forced to sell their players so we should get the guy for less $$. Just the way we sold our players for so little and other teams took an advantage of the situation, we should do the same...

Jul 2, 2006
Montolivo is 23.He knows Italian football,he is young but experienced.He just needs a stronger team.

same goes for Aquilani.

Alonso is 27.He did not play in Italy.He did well in England mostly because of Rafael Benitez.

if their price is same I would go for Montolivo.Alonso is bigger gamble.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Glad to hear I wasnt the only one weirded out to see Boumsong as an attacking fullback ;) Typical, the Lyon games I tune in for ends goalless(btw Benzema had an insane run...)....

Xabi has been underperfoming for Pool for a while. I would choose Lucho over him simply for the box to box player quality he provides, impact player. But Xabi would be quite a steal to get, would make our midfield tick. Even if I find him overrated at times. But 15-m19m for him would be good signing.

But forgive me if I think its insanely unrealistic signing, even if he was on the market 100%, he is much more likely to go to Spain or stay in Pool, nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)