Worst sitcoms (1 Viewer)

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

I mean the main character, he's trying to be so cool but he's just lame. Not interesting in the least and the rest of them aren't any better. Just don't get what you could possibly see in it.. :)

Now that you mention it, I recall you explained it to me once before. :)
I think the office is funny as hell. I like the guy that pisses of Gareth all the time. Its too much :howler:

Green Wing is better, now that is some good shit, evening the production is hip.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I've seen 3-5 and they're all good. Tho Fawlty Towers had some problems with the writing, sometimes the story didn't match the acting and it looked like terrible over acting.

Don't know the others.

Because Fawlty Towers is all about John Cleese

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++
Because Fawlty Towers is all about John Cleese
Who is probably the most naturally funny person to have ever lived (well, in modern times at least)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

:confused:

This coming from a man who thinks The Office is funny? COME ON! :D
That is an absolute joke indeed Martin.

Seinfeld blows The Office all the way back to England.

And isn't the Office an office show about nothing anyway?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

That is an absolute joke indeed Martin.

Seinfeld blows The Office all the way back to England.
You wanna tell me why they started producing a US version of it btw? I've seen a couple of episodes, it's *exactly* the same, only in a US setting. And it's just as bad.

++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
And isn't the Office an office show about nothing anyway?
It is yeah..

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

You wanna tell me why they started producing a US version of it btw? I've seen a couple of episodes, it's *exactly* the same, only in a US setting. And it's just as bad.

It is yeah..
Yeah I watched every episode of the Office and in some instances it was incredibly lame. Some things are funny like the boss talking with the female secretary or what not, but most of it is the boss and other people telling bad jokes. I have also seen the British Office and it's just as bad, asbolutely pathetic show. Can't believe anybody watches that rubbish.

I have no idea why they decided to make it, probably because it was such a hit in England. Not sure why though.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Did you see the Chris Rock episode? I'm a big fan of Chris, so that should have been right up my alley. But it was so badly done that I was appaled. The basic idea is good, that the boss does a Chris Rock impression and offends a bunch of people but the actors are so crap and the story sucks, I don't see where the joke is.

The most puzzling thing about it is that whenever the boss is involved, he's always the one talking, then he says a lot of stuff that is socially unacceptable and then there's just no reaction to it. People looking at each other with looks of disapproval. That's supposed to be funny somehow?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Btw, does anyone like Coupling? Now that is quality writing, the acting is good too. Again there is a US version made for some reason and I think both are very good.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Did you see the Chris Rock episode? I'm a big fan of Chris, so that should have been right up my alley. But it was so badly done that I was appaled. The basic idea is good, that the boss does a Chris Rock impression and offends a bunch of people but the actors are so crap and the story sucks, I don't see where the joke is.

The most puzzling thing about it is that whenever the boss is involved, he's always the one talking, then he says a lot of stuff that is socially unacceptable and then there's just no reaction to it. People looking at each other with looks of disapproval. That's supposed to be funny somehow?
Yeah I saw the Chris Rock interpretation episode, and that was probably the best one of the lot. I thought it was going to be a lot more funny however I was disapointed.

Although one funny part of the show was when the boss asked his employees to tell the group what other races they were sexually attracted to. After he asked the question the dunderhead guy with glasses raised his hand and said "blacks and Indians" with an Indian lady sitting right next to him. That part was good, but the rest was lacking.

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
Btw, does anyone like Coupling? Now that is quality writing, the acting is good too. Again there is a US version made for some reason and I think both are very good.
Coupling is utter garbage.

The Office, totally depends if you like that spoof humour. I love it (not the american version. No harm to america but they can never pull of the remakes). The boss in the UK show is what makes the show good. If you dont find that funny I think you probably lead a pretty sad life :D

Anyone seen 'Teachers'? Pretty good also :D

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

Who is probably the most naturally funny person to have ever lived (well, in modern times at least)
I can't agree more

Who has seen an old school Britcom called Mind You Language? That show was one of the best I've ever seen.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I really like Coupling, actually. And The Office is far too annoying for me to find much humor in it. It belongs in HBO's lineup of annoying sitcoms, as HBO has lately tried to refashion itself as the "Annoying Network" between shows such as the self-loathing and petty Curb Your Enthusiasm or the whining and petty Sex in the City.

But if you really want to know a sitcom I think is poor, you at least have to attempt to top Harry and the Hendersons. Look: it was directed by Scott Baio, Mr. Charles in Charge himself. How bad can you get? (And personally, I think Charles in Charge is so awful, it's actually entertaining in its awfulness... unlike Harry... was.)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
The Office, totally depends if you like that spoof humour. I love it (not the american version. No harm to america but they can never pull of the remakes). The boss in the UK show is what makes the show good. If you dont find that funny I think you probably lead a pretty sad life :D
I have to say I don't see much difference between the UK and US versions. It seems to be a very precise reproduction. Of course in as much as there is a difference between the cultures (obviously there is a noticeable one), that consequence is felt. But I don't imagine how you could reset the show in a US setting any more precisely than it has been done.

Look, the basis of comedy is surprise. If you see the joke coming ahead of time, it's predictable and dull. Tell me then, what is the surprise element of The Office? It's basically the same thing time and again. It's not surprising and it's not endearing.

Greg, Sex and the city is the most overrated show in recent history IMO.

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
You know all his lines before he says them? Maybe you miss the points or jokes because you talk about this in an acting sense, I laugh at it for the things the characters say. I can just imagine you sitting there with everything flying over your head. :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
You know all his lines before he says them? Maybe you miss the points or jokes because you talk about this in an acting sense, I laugh at it for the things the characters say. I can just imagine you sitting there with everything flying over your head. :D
No, not his lines but obviously the reactions he is bound to get. For the simple fact that the reaction is always the same.

You know that's always the first thing I try to find out. Whenever something is cracked up to be so much more than it is, my first thought is maybe I'm not getting it. But almost everytime I end up realizing that what I saw the first time is actually everything there is to understand and it is indeed no better than my first impression would indicate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)