World Cup Lounge (2 Viewers)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
swag said:
It most definitely is. For one, a ref shouldn't be predisposed to team biases. For another, even if the guy believes them, he shouldn't be so stupid as to admit them publicly. :rolleyes2

To his partial defense, however, I'm not sure how exactly that match could have had a better outcome with a different ref. Touchy calls and lack of order abound, but the players' actions forced the ref to intervene and take charge of the game.
He didn't really take charge, though, did he? Frank de Bleeckere would never have let it come to that. When it comes down to it, Valentin Ivanov has no natural authority, which you need when dealing with footballers on this level.

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Erik said:
He didn't really take charge, though, did he? Frank de Bleeckere would never have let it come to that. When it comes down to it, Valentin Ivanov has no natural authority, which you need when dealing with footballers on this level.
Indeed. A referee's cards should be used to exert his authority, not gain it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Andy said:
England players rally around Beckham
June 27, 2006

Several members of England's World Cup squad have leapt to the defence of captain David Beckham after he answered critics with the winning goal against Ecuador.

There had been calls for Beckham to be dropped, but his free-kick sealed a quarter-final tie against Portugal and almost certainly cemented his place in the side.

England goalkeeper Paul Robinson said: "Becks is different class. World class. :lol2:

"We need him. He is so important. Becks has shown again that he scores and makes vital goals for England.

"His free-kick got us the win against Paraguay. He set up Peter Crouch's goal that put us on our way against Trinidad and Tobago and he scored the winner against Ecuador.

"That's a major personal input whichever way you want to look at it."

Frank Lampard also offered support to Beckham.

"I think he's taken some very hard criticism," said the Chelsea midfielder.

"People should get behind the captain and the team and I think the majority of people are doing that.

"There is some harsh criticism and there is no need for it, but you see the fans out here and they are right behind us."

Steven Gerrard believes the critcicism Beckham received helped England on Sunday.

"I think the criticism he got before the game helped us because he went out with a point to prove and he has helped get us into the last eight," said Gerrard.

"All the boys are happy with the job he's doing for the team. The goal was a David Beckham trademark free-kick and a few more of those would be nice."

Owen Hargreaves joined in the chorus of support for the England skipper.

He said: "Any time you win 1-0 the goalscorer is obviously the hero and it was Becks against Ecuador.

"His set-pieces are his strengths. He put one in and it was a great free-kick and it's won us the game.

"After that we played a bit better, created more chances and could have won 2-0.

"Becks is crucial because when you look at all the games, like Mexico against Argentina, a lot of the goals are from set-pieces.

"He is the best set-piece taker in the world and to have him in your team is a strength. It's a benefit."

www.worldsoccer.com

I don't care what anybody says, Beckham is a joke. But most sane fans have known this for years now.

Beckham is different class. World Class. :rofl2:
EPL coverage in the USA made you a sad and bitter man :D

Becks actually truly is a great player, it's only natural for you to feel that way though as he's not the god they made him out to be.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Whats with all the bitching and moaning everytime , if you don't like the world cup watch something else for chrissakes. Its always the same everytime, yes a lot of people like rooting for the underdogs but give me a break. Australia were not robbed and neither were Ghana. If you cannot put the ball at the back of the net, whats the point? This is not boxing when you can win on points without delivering knockout punch, you have to score and neither Australia nor Ghana did that.
Ghana got away with the most ridiculous decision, penalty wise so far in this tournament but of cos a lot of ppl tend to overlook that. Adriano was offside for his goal from the time the move started to the time it finished and that was a dreadful decision but he got booked for diving so why are some ppl complaining that the referee booked the Ghana forward for doing the same thing?
I am glad that piece of crap Aragones is out and what made it doubly sweet is the fact that a lot of the oppostion was black and good to see Vieira tell him to shut his dirty trap. Spain yet again flatter to decieve and too bad that Raul was made to start when he does not contribute at all to Spain anymore. Great to see Zz score the final goal as we all said he is finished but it would have been poetic justice if Henry did score against that sub human's team. Henry though just disgraced himself with shocking behaviour to try and get Puyol sent off and a dubious foul.
France vs Brazil, I stick my neck out , if Brazil should start with Ronaldo and Adriano ,with the same shape they have been playing with, then they will go out

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Maresca said:
the performence of rosseti yesterday was terrific,
Indeed; probably the best (read: only decent) refereeing performance of the whole tournament.
Maresca said:
I just hope he will not be able to be a refree in the final :D
Took me a sec to figure that one out, before I remembered that he's Italian :D

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,547
    denco said:
    France vs Brazil, I stick my neck out , if Brazil should start with Ronaldo and Adriano ,with the same shape they have been playing with, then they will go out
    Not if they get favoured like they usually do.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
    gray said:
    Indeed; probably the best (read: only decent) refereeing performance of the whole tournament.

Took me a sec to figure that one out, before I remembered that he's Italian :D
    but is it not strange that the best ref comes from italy nowdays ;)

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Maresca said:
    the performence of rosseti yesterday was terrific, I just hope he will not be able to be a refree in the final :D
    How ironic that he was not the designated Italian referee initially. The designated guy is preparing a DVD of all his wonderful performances which will be hitting your video store anytime soon. In the meantime you can see a preview of it in the upcoming blockbuster movie superman returns:D

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    denco said:
    Whats with all the bitching and moaning everytime , if you don't like the world cup watch something else for chrissakes. Its always the same everytime, yes a lot of people like rooting for the underdogs but give me a break. Australia were not robbed and neither were Ghana. If you cannot put the ball at the back of the net, whats the point? This is not boxing when you can win on points without delivering knockout punch, you have to score and neither Australia nor Ghana did that.
    Ghana got away with the most ridiculous decision, penalty wise so far in this tournament but of cos a lot of ppl tend to overlook that. Adriano was offside for his goal from the time the move started to the time it finished and that was a dreadful decision but he got booked for diving so why are some ppl complaining that the referee booked the Ghana forward for doing the same thing?
    I am glad that piece of crap Aragones is out and what made it doubly sweet is the fact that a lot of the oppostion was black and good to see Vieira tell him to shut his dirty trap. Spain yet again flatter to decieve and too bad that Raul was made to start when he does not contribute at all to Spain anymore. Great to see Zz score the final goal as we all said he is finished but it would have been poetic justice if Henry did score against that sub human's team. Henry though just disgraced himself with shocking behaviour to try and get Puyol sent off and a dubious foul.
    :agree: , spot on

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    Andy said:
    Where did I say he's not a good player? I never said that, and of course he's a good player because he creates a plethora of opportunities. But I just cannot withold myself from making fun of David Beckham, because he is indeed, in all fairness, a joke.

If you don't want people hating Beckham, perhaps you should tell your players, media, and some fans to stop overrating him. Wouldnt that be a good idea? Or would you rather have people like me laughing at comments from overrated goalkeepers like Paul Robinson..
    Let's see...

Being the Manchester United Icon for years from a tender age

Moving to Real Madrd (REAL MADRID) for a big sum transfer...

Captain of the English National team...

I see how he is really a joke. I mean, he's obviously acheived so little is his career.

Please break it down for me; how is he a joke?

Everyone in England has the inverse effect- they know Beckham is ' overated ', so they now have a more realistic view of him. I question how often you read English tabloids and broadsheets, as they give him due credit when needed and critise him aswell. You have a very warped opinion most probably based on assumptions about the media that you've heard. Don't get me wrong here, I'm the first one to critise the way the media in England handles the team, but you seem to be assuming things with little foundation.

And look at Robinson- why wouldnt he say those comments? Give the tailsman captain a confidence boost?

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Dan said:
    Ps. The union jack is a far nicer flag, and I think you will probably agree Tom
    To look at yeah, it definitely is. It pisses me off though how we sing the british national anthem. I'd rather we had land of hope and glory when we walk out on to the pitch

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Maresca said:
    the performence of rosseti yesterday was terrific, I just hope he will not be able to be a refree in the final :D

absolutely !!:agree:

the other refs should take some notes, and not take the game away from teams with silly yellow and red cards

anyone notice that Brazil and Germany have the least number of cards given...and neither has been issued a red ????

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    Vinman said:
    absolutely !!:agree:

the other refs should take some notes, and not take the game away from teams with silly yellow and red cards

anyone notice that Brazil and Germany have the least number of cards given...and neither has been issued a red ????
    "coincidence" :p

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    I think England should beat Portugal....Deco absence will be felt

France is coming together at the right time, funny how ppl laughed at me when I rated France as the number 3 rated team in the world, back in Nick's thread 2 months ago

watch for the upset !!!

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Erik said:
    I will give him credit for trying, but no credit for success. That's for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)