World Cup controversy thread,Sepp seen leaving hotel with giant SWAG bags (102 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Like the illegal immigrants in America and most of Europe?

Like the laborers of sweat shops in Asia, sweat shops that are used to supply Western corporations ala Nike?

Lets not get on our moral high horses so fast here, its easy to make it a "civilized west vs a barbaric east". The logic of "as long as its not in my backyard then its all good" doesn't fly if we were to be fair.
Uhhh, illegal immigrants are not "slaves". Far from it. They chose to come here illegally, they chose to accept jobs under minimum wage and get paid under the table. All of this is against the law, unlike in the UAE or Cutter.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Oh dear, this is taking a turn for the worse. I suppose you will be telling me hispanics in America are treated like slaves? The US and Europe really is a world away in terms of working and human rights, but that's going to a different issue.

You're talking about conglomerate workers being treated like 'slaves' - which is what all workers are treated like in many Asian companies, that is down to the country they live in and their direct supervisors and governers in those countries and not down to deliberate slave treatment by their western company owners. When you have a company in the US there are certain working conditions. When you have a company in Romania there are certain working conditions. When that company branches out to China or Thailand there are again different conditions. So for that reason look at how workers are treated in China or Thailand, or indeed, Qatar.

I'm talking about direct forms of slavery of immigrant workers on Qatari soil by individuals and companies. You will find nothing of the sort in the US on any kind of scale, to suggest so is preposterous.

Your last point is not my intention at all, I put a valid point across that I could cite many examples from internet sources and I'm sure you could magnify that by a thousand for the silent sufferers, and the best that pro-Qatar supporters can put forward is Nike has sweatshops in Cambodia, without addressing the point. I don't really care what goes on in these countries everyday, whether that is their culture or right or wrong, but when you send a World Cup there then the spotlight is on you and questions and issues need to be asked and addressed.
Well said.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
That just prove my point. The WC should be placed in a country that can offer the best condition's and if it is Germany, they could host it two times in a row, for all I care.

(I don't blame South Africa for the ball :smile:)
That's insane, so a host country should have glorious weather in order to host a world cup? If you get good weather then you'll be bitching about kick off times.

I don't think it needs to be in the same country two tournaments running, there are several countries that could host a World Cup next week in terms of stadia and infrastructure for example.

I guess for FIFA now they want to risk a few things. If what Byrone says is true then they will be looking to make some serious money in Russia and Qatar, more high risk high reward moves, one can only imagine the numbers being floated around.
It is true. Sepp Blatter even said that the WC is the main income that FIFA gets to fund less attractive tournaments, help national federations & to develop the game all round. Either way it's bullshit because the elite & politically connected will have their hands in the WC.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
The only true things from that post were

1) The Qatari league has very low attendance rates.

2) Many games are free to boost attendance rates. In fact they sometimes bring in Indian and Pakistani laborers(Those nationalities look like Qatari's), and pay them to wear the teams kits and support :D

Obviously, high ticket prices were never an issue in Qatar, that is completely false, and what is even more laughable is, the locals not being able to afford match tickets :howler: Qatari locals are very rich people mind you, Qatar has one of the highest individual income levels in the world.

the bad treatment of the locals? :confused: what exactly do you mean by that?
Um, was it not clear that I was talking about the past WC in SA :shifty:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That it's very convenient to deny Sierra Leone the right to host a WC due to the blood diamond trade but those that run the very business and those that stand to gain the most from it, namely Western nations, are free to do so.
Nations don't gain from blood diamond trade. And the nations who try to do most about it, are Western anyway. One of the most biased posts I have ever come across on this forum. All you do is shout that everything that is bad in the world is indirectly the West's fault.

There are blood diamonds in the Congo too. There are rebels in the Congo. People kill and rape each other on a daily basis. Hell, even the UN is scared of the country. And guess what? Congo has had the chance to organise itself ever since the 1960's. Perhaps they didn't start of in the best of conditions, but simply blame the West? No, there are a billion of factors to consider here and you only considered one. Very poor effort, Ze.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
That's insane, so a host country should have glorious weather in order to host a world cup? If you get good weather then you'll be bitching about kick off times.

It is true. Sepp Blatter even said that the WC is the main income that FIFA gets to fund less attractive tournaments, help national federations & to develop the game all round. Either way it's bullshit because the elite & politically connected will have their hands in the WC.
Not what I meant. It's not only the conditions, but what they can offer in whole.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Nations don't gain from blood diamond trade. And the nations who try to do most about it, are Western anyway. One of the most biased posts I have ever come across on this forum. All you do is shout that everything that is bad in the world is indirectly the West's fault.

There are blood diamonds in the Congo too. There are rebels in the Congo. People kill and rape each other on a daily basis. Hell, even the UN is scared of the country. And guess what? Congo has had the chance to organise itself ever since the 1960's. Perhaps they didn't start of in the best of conditions, but simply blame the West? No, there are a billion of factors to consider here and you only considered one. Very poor effort, Ze.
You're a retard if you came to this conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 102)