World Cup controversy thread,Sepp seen leaving hotel with giant SWAG bags (64 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Anybody not going to Qatar in 2022? I'm not.

I wouldn't advise anybody to go there.

Completely laughable.
Not that Qatar is my top destination, but I don't claim to be an expert from all those ventures I've made to the country. So I can't imagine where your expert advice is coming from.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't feel any sympathy of Qatar. I'm just having some fun with people who are complaining for all the wrong reasons.

"you can't drink there...women wear veils there...do people even like football there...they bribed fifa...they violate human rights"...It's all bullshit.

I think there's only one real reason why they shouldn't host it. The FIFA WC rotation policy is done as every continent save Australia has hosted it (though I guess FIFA counts them as Asia) so any nation with a good bid could have gotten it. I can think of a dozen other countries that should be allowed to host it that actually have a bigger footballing culture. And by that I mean nations that have given something to football in terms of success and players developed. In that regard Qatar deserves it as much as the island of Palau.
Those are actually pretty good reasons. The question whether or not you can drink there really bugs me though. Even if you couldn't drink there during the World Cup, that should not be a problem.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
you CAN drink there.

a Friday or Saturdany night here is pretty much the same as everywhere else in the West.

you'll see plenty of drunken slags crying on the pavement, don't worry.

OP
JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #987
    Yeah I wouldn't say some of those reasons are bullshit, although South Africa also had quite a few bullshit reasons and that was an average World Cup.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    :sergio:

it is NOT a valid question, because you can drink there whenever you want.

you are the one doing the selective reading.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I didn't highlight it as a valid reason and I never even said it was a valid question. Am I racist now? I even literally said the question bugged me.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    no, you're not a racist (not yet anyway :p)

but it's diverting the topic into an area which has nothing to do with football.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    but it's diverting the topic into an area which has nothing to do with football.
    Not quite true. It's a question that has nothing to do with playing football. But with watching, yes. And watching is just as much of a part of a World Cup.
    [/pedant]

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Not quite true. It's a question that has nothing to do with playing football. But with watching, yes. And watching is just as much of a part of a World Cup.
    [/pedant]
    To be fair alcohol still is a drug and the side effects have long been proven harmful. If a country decides to ban alcohol that is just as much of a sensible law as banning cannabis. So even if one couldn't drink in Qatar during the World Cup (but like Ahmed says that isn't the case) it wouldn't matter one bit.

But there are reasons why Qatar should not host the World Cup

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    Yeah I wouldn't say some of those reasons are bullshit, although South Africa also had quite a few bullshit reasons and that was an average World Cup.
    Name those reasons. Why was it an average WC? If you're talking about how big established teams & players flopped, i agree but how was it average?

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
    May 22, 2009
    Weren't there a fair few games with low attendances? Then there were the stories that local people couldn't afford going to the games due to the high ticket prices, except of course those games where they were let in for free (to at least get some people in the stands :D).
    I also read something about the bad treatment of the locals (both by Fifa & government), but I'm obviously not sure how true this is, since these kinds of stories always seem to pop up.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #998
    Just average, nothing above standard, on the pitch and off it. So South Africa had a complete security lockdown for a few weeks off the pitch to deal with the large potential of trouble, that's not a great achievement, there were some minor issues with journalists treated badly but I don't think many of us will feel sad there. In terms of fans they mostly seemed to have a great time but then South Africa is a fantastic country when you look at all aspects (yes I have been), with some great people, even if the cocky humour sometimes gets lost on foreigners. I don't think fans will ever have a bad time at a World Cup overall, after all, they have all paid a lot of money for the privilege so you are looking to make the most of it.

In fact on the pitch it was considerably below standard, and as that is what 99.9% of the audience is made up of (the average tv viewer) I would say it made it an average World Cup. Whether that applies to the host I don't know, just as much the ball I would say, it was awful. An then of course the vuvuzelas.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    To be fair alcohol still is a drug and the side effects have long been proven harmful. If a country decides to ban alcohol that is just as much of a sensible law as banning cannabis. So even if one couldn't drink in Qatar during the World Cup (but like Ahmed says that isn't the case) it wouldn't matter one bit.

But there are reasons why Qatar should not host the World Cup
    It might be sensible, but it does "have something to do with football" in the end.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 64)