World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (174 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
What makes it even more odd is that most of Griezmann's friends are black. He has this entire bromance thing going on with Lacazette (who by the way must be what Alexandre Dumas would have looked like had he played professional football).

But he is funny. He's got the same kind of silliness Balotelli has, only he isn't completely mentally scarred and it's all in good spirit.
I think a lot of pro athletes are like this. When you spend your life playing a game and getting loads of praise and money for it a lot of people involved are not really going to grow up in a way they would if their lives were more normal/ challenging

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That Griezmann penalty was a non-event though, poor call.
The perversity is that VAR can only interfere in the case of a clear error. So basically they're telling the ref it's a penalty. Only he doesn't think it is and sure as fuck is doubting. After having seen it five times he gives it anyway.

So clearly, at the very least, it wasn't a clear error and VAR shouldn't have interfered.

At the same time France score from a FK that wasn't reviewed because VAR isn't able to.

Basically the system is unjust at this point.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think a lot of pro athletes are like this. When you spend your life playing a game and getting loads of praise and money for it a lot of people involved are not really going to grow up in a way they would if their lives were more normal/ challenging
True. It must also be excruciatingly painful to stop and suddenly not get that praise anymore.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
The perversity is that VAR can only interfere in the case of a clear error. So basically they're telling the ref it's a penalty. Only he doesn't think it is and sure as $#@! is doubting. After having seen it five times he gives it anyway.

So clearly, at the very least, it wasn't a clear error and VAR shouldn't have interfered.
It was a deflection from point blank with his arm close to his body. No matter what the replay shows it shouldn't have even been considered.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It was a deflection from point blank with his arm close to his body. No matter what the replay shows it shouldn't have even been considered.
I don't think it was a penalty either, but more importantly in the case of doubt it shouldn't have been reviewed.

So people here saying it was 50/50 and you could give it are wrong. The ref didn't call it. If it's a 50/50 call it shouldn't have been open to review. So the ref couldn't have given it.

It wasn't just the wrong call, it was also a wrong use of the VAR system.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think it was a penalty either, but more importantly in the case of doubt it shouldn't have been reviewed.

So people here saying it was 50/50 and you could give it are wrong. The ref didn't call it. If it's a 50/50 call it shouldn't have been open to review. So the ref couldn't have given it.

It wasn't just the wrong call, it was also a wrong use of the VAR system.
Spot on. :tup:

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
The perversity is that VAR can only interfere in the case of a clear error. So basically they're telling the ref it's a penalty. Only he doesn't think it is and sure as fuck is doubting. After having seen it five times he gives it anyway.

At the same time France score from a FK that wasn't reviewed because VAR isn't able to.

Basically the system is unjust at this point.
Problem with the penalty call is that var should only show it in real time not slow motion. Everything looks worse in slow mo and made the handball offence look more purposeful, terrible call and a major flaw in the system

May 26, 2016
Congrats to france i guess. Didnt really feel the team too much to be honest, one of the most unconvincing world cup winners i have seen for some time. I really felt Croatia played better, and they really suffered because of that penalty kick.

standouts: Mbappe had a great tournament. Kante always works like warhorse. And Pogba did well. Varane is shaping up to be a real world class CB for years to come.

Modric the mvp of this tournament imo

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
I felt bad... an own goal and a var penalty it was a very bad way to lose a WC final...

Only Putin Umbrella sketch cheer me up again... everyone else was just getting wet and the guy didn't care a shit :lol::lol:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
If you're an accomplished player you get praised your whole life wherever you go basically.
Its not really the same. Even for currently active players i'm sure it is more complicated than you might think.

I heard an interesting take on the depression of famous performers (athletes, musicians) that they frequently experience extreme emotional highs and then extreme lows. You go out in front of a massive cheering audience, 50,000 people who love you, cheer for you, you experience a feeling of being caught in the moment that 99.9% of the population will never know. But then within 2-3 hours it ends, you come down from this incredible experience, this massive high of connection to and praise from so many people then you just go home, find an artificial way to fill the void, or become depressed.

It is a sudden climb and then a sudden drop that fucks with the heads of a lot of people. Probably why drug addiction, partying into the night is so popular among these crowds. Tough to go home and go to bed early after this incredible high. You want to ride the high out, do anything to avoid the crash.

Sure there are plenty who are more emotionally stable and mature but i don't think it is as simple as the rest of your life is just set with praise. :p

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
the advertising revenue that you cannot plan? no way they're gonna swap the 15-minute break and the 45 (+3-5) minute halfs and the completely predictable schedule to that.
I honestly don't understand what you are talking about. It would still be 2x30 minutes. If anything it would be more predictable how long a game would take. If advertising revenue was negatively impacted by any of this, then how do you explain the existence of the NBA?

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I honestly don't understand what you are talking about. It would still be 2x30 minutes. If anything it would be more predictable how long a game would take. If advertising revenue was negatively impacted by any of this, then how do you explain the existence of the NBA?
so how long do you estimate before the many changes you want take place and you can start enjoying football again? a decade, two? :p

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
so how long do you estimate before the many changes you want take place and you can start enjoying football again? a decade, two? :p
I enjoy football right now. But the viewer experience could improve by quite a lot. You think you're being funny by suggesting changes won't be made, but the truth is a lot of changes have been made the past two years. And they will be continue to be made.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I enjoy football right now. But the viewer experience could improve by quite a lot. You think you're being funny by suggesting changes won't be made, but the truth is a lot of changes have been made the past two years. And they will be continue to be made.
I'm not suggesting changes won't be made, I'm just saying you want so many that it'll take decades to make you satisfied :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 174)