World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (31 Viewers)

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Did he win the world cup and the CL in the same year? I think the year Spain won the world cup Inter won the CL. And Messi ended up winning the Ballon d'Or.
I think you are right my memory is vague. Wasnt Iniesta at least a Euro + CL winner and Messi took it?

That world cup year, Sneijder won the CL and was WC finalists and it went to Messi. Cant remember the Euro year.

I wouldnt be surprised if Ronaldo wins it is all I am saying and actually I prefer he wins it for our sake.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I think you are right my memory is vague. Wasnt Iniesta at least a Euro + CL winner and Messi took it?

That world cup year, Sneijder won the CL and was WC finalists and it went to Messi. Cant remember the Euro year.

I wouldnt be surprised if Ronaldo wins it is all I am saying and actually I prefer he wins it for our sake.
2008, Xavi was their best player, but ManU (CR) won the CL
2010, Iniesta was their best player, but inter (Sneijder i guess) won the CL
2012, Iniesta was again their dominant man, but Chelsea won the CL

but FIFA balon dor is flawed anyway, captains and coaches of NTs voting is BS due to bias towards certain players

Jun 6, 2015
2008, Xavi was their best player, but ManU (CR) won the CL
2010, Iniesta was their best player, but inter (Sneijder i guess) won the CL
2012, Iniesta was again their dominant man, but Chelsea won the CL

but FIFA balon dor is flawed anyway, captains and coaches of NTs voting is BS due to bias towards certain players
I think they changed it back to football journalists choosing the winner. For a few years it was integrated with the Fifa player of the year award and the winner was chosen as mentioned.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I think they changed it back to football journalists choosing the winner. For a few years it was integrated with the Fifa player of the year award and the winner was chosen as mentioned.
2 or 3 year ago, they did. but as far as back from 2008 (i think, maybe a bit later), it was FIFA&France Football together

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
2 or 3 year ago, they did. but as far as back from 2008 (i think, maybe a bit later), it was FIFA&France Football together
They changed it back.

Now you have balon d'or and fifa world player of the year, two different prizes.

Edit.. i guess we are saying the same thing :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Iniesta won the Euros in 2008 (it went to Ronaldo who won the CL) and 2012 (it went to Messi who didn't win the CL).

In 2010 he won the league and the World Cup, but was eliminated in CL by Inter. Oddly enough it still went to Messi that year.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Iniesta won the Euros in 2008 (it went to Ronaldo who won the CL) and 2012 (it went to Messi who didn't win the CL).

In 2010 he won the league and the World Cup, but was eliminated in CL by Inter. Oddly enough it still went to Messi that year.

unpopular opinion, 2010 should have went to Robben. he carried Bayern to almost a treble by himself, they were pretty mediocre before that. and he had a good WC, before that miss vs Casillas in the final. inter without Sneijder were he much better team than Bayern without Robben, so that one game (which Milito shined in), shouldnt have been the decider, if it came down to one between the 2. but Messi was just the worst choice, crap world cup and shut down vs inter in the CL. atleast his Barcelona teammates won the WC

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
unpopular opinion, 2010 should have went to Robben. he carried Bayern to almost a treble by himself, they were pretty mediocre before that. and he had a good WC, before that miss vs Casillas in the final. inter without Sneijder were he much better team than Bayern without Robben, so that one game (which Milito shined in), shouldnt have been the decider, if it came down to one between the 2. but Messi was just the worst choice, crap world cup and shut down vs inter in the CL. atleast his Barcelona teammates won the WC
Wasnt that the year Messi score over 90 goals in one year. That was the excuse. He scored 90 goals and Barca ended up winning Copa Del Rey.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009

my memory is truly crap :lol:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Lol. Forget about Belgium. World Cups without the big teams aren't interesting. I'd much rather see Italy-Germany and Brazil-France as semi-finals.
It's just in our heads. If Brasil faced Argentina and Italy faced Germany in the semis, we'd automatically found those game more interesting, no matter the football on display. Croatia and Belgium right now are (much) better than Italy and Argentina. Yet people would much rather have the latter.
Why? Because this is the first semifinal ever without any of BRA, GER, ITA and ARG. There was always at least one, and most of the times there were 2 or 3 of these teams in the semis of the previous 20 World Cups. We are used to their rivalries and we see order when we see these teams in a WC semifinal. Now we see chaos and we don't like chaos.
Order will be restored soon. These countries are too big in population and football wise not to be back.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's just in our heads. If Brasil faced Argentina and Italy faced Germany in the semis, we'd automatically found those game more interesting, no matter the football on display. Croatia and Belgium right now are (much) better than Italy and Argentina. Yet people would much rather have the latter.
Why? Because this is the first semifinal ever without any of BRA, GER, ITA and ARG. There was always at least one, and most of the times there were 2 or 3 of these teams in the semis of the previous 20 World Cups. We are used to their rivalries and we see order when we see these teams in a WC semifinal. Now we see chaos and we don't like chaos.
Order will be restored soon. These countries are too big in population and football wise not to be back.
Oh I agree, definitely :D. But that's part of the attraction too.

Belgium will be here to stay for another 3-4 years imo. We have talented younger back ups for most positions. The only real problem I see for us in the near future is Hazard's age. He'll be 31 at the next World Cup and he does rely on speed, so I don't know how well he'll hold up. There's no young player who is close to as good as he is.

For Croatia I think this was most likely their final chance of WC success. Modric will be 33 soon (though you really wouldn't say so at all imo) and Mandzukic is 32. Rakitic is 30 and Perisic is 29 (ffs Croatians really age well), so even they probably won't make the next World Cup.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007

Belgium will be here to stay for another 3-4 years imo. We have talented younger back ups for most positions. The only real problem I see for us in the near future is Hazard's age. He'll be 31 at the next World Cup and he does rely on speed, so I don't know how well he'll hold up. There's no young player who is close to as good as he is.

For Croatia I think this was most likely their final chance of WC success. Modric will be 33 soon (though you really wouldn't say so at all imo) and Mandzukic is 32. Rakitic is 30 and Perisic is 29 (ffs Croatians really age well), so even they probably won't make the next World Cup.
Belgium has the kids of African origin and money to stand a chance. The Netherlands came out of nowhere in the 1970s and now are considered a big NT, which at least once in a decade would be there playing WC or EC finals or semifinals. I expect something similar from Belgium.
Croatia will be super lucky if in 20 years some new quality generation pops up. But in the near future we won't be anywhere around top 10. Croatia is too small to stay at the top on regular or semi-regular basis.

It's gonna be about the biggest teams again in the future. This WC was an anomaly.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

do Belgium have a lot of up and coming talents? from the guys that lost to France, I don't expect Mertens, Carrasco, Witsel, Fellaini, Kompany, Dembele to be there in 4 years. their biggest stars in de Bruyne, Hazard, Courtois and Lukaku will probably still be playing at top level (I have some doubts about Lukaku though), but a lot of good utility players are going away

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
do Belgium have a lot of up and coming talents? from the guys that lost to France, I don't expect Mertens, Carrasco, Witsel, Fellaini, Kompany, Dembele to be there in 4 years. their biggest stars in de Bruyne, Hazard, Courtois and Lukaku will probably still be playing at top level (I have some doubts about Lukaku though), but a lot of good utility players are going away
Carrasco is 24. He'll be there and he'll be better. Lukaku is 25, same goes for him. Mertens, Witsel, Fellaini, Kompany and Dembele will be out. Tielemans (21) and Praet (24) will be major players in four years time. Praet has improved a lot by playing in the Serie A and Tielemans is too talented not to be the next big thing. With those two we are going to have a killer and much more dynamic midfield. We have several young and talented defenders, but the jury is still out on them.

Our biggest benefit is that these days players seem to preserve athletic ability for a bit longer than they used to (e.g. Modric). It would mean De Bruyne and Hazard (both 31 at the next World Cup) will still be playing at the highest level and we definitely don't have replacements for those two.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Carrasco is 24. He'll be there and he'll be better. Lukaku is 25, same goes for him. Mertens, Witsel, Fellaini, Kompany and Dembele will be out. Tielemans (21) and Praet (24) will be major players in four years time. Praet has improved a lot by playing in the Serie A and Tielemans is too talented not to be the next big thing. With those two we are going to have a killer and much more dynamic midfield. We have several young and talented defenders, but the jury is still out on them.

Our biggest benefit is that these days players seem to preserve athletic ability for a bit longer than they used to (e.g. Modric). It would mean De Bruyne and Hazard (both 31 at the next World Cup) will still be playing at the highest level and we definitely don't have replacements for those two.
Is he really? :klin: joking of course. :D :p

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Isnt Carrasco playing in China nowadays? Not sure players only get better over there
He is playing in China, but word is it is because of a financial construction with Atletico's main sponsor (which really shows how sick some parts of football are).

Carrasco is expected to leave China somewhere next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)