World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (20 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah they will have to shorten the game time in that case. IMO the refs need to be harsher in punishing the players who waste the time, that's the only solution I approve of :D
They do in the CL. Personally I'd like to see red cards handed out for time wasting. But it's not always easy to see what is time wasting and what is an actual injury for example.

- - - Updated - - -

y, I don't think anyone is, Seven is arguing with his imaginary opponents here
Your argument in favour of time wasting is that I am Belgian and therefore suddenly don't have a right to talk about timewasting anymore. It's kind of weird. Because like I've said before, this isn't really about France. I don't like their tactics, but they're allowed. My issue is with the rules.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
If Croatia win the World Cup, Modric will win the Ballon d'Or. No one is going to argue with both a CL and a World Cup win.

But, even though it's Modric and the man is undeniably the best midfielder in the world, I think other players have been more instrumental in Croatia's World Cup success.
iniesta says hello

JuveCR7

Fino Alla Fine
Jul 11, 2018
Iniesta is good, but I think Modric is better - just he is not praised as much in public as Iniesta is, because his career started to track attention since he joined RM, which is 6 years ago. While Iniesta played for Barca since 2002 and Barca was also in media.

Iniesta has perhaps better ball control and some interesting way to find good passes to FW, but what makes Modric shine (IMO) is how passionate he is to help the team, try to take the ball from opponent and how well he manages to keep the ball in his possession + his incredible stamina, running / sprinting also in 100+ minutes.

I think comparison between Modric and Iniesta is in good place to be honest, similar style players. But Spain did not make much in WC, so I agree, if Croatia by any chance win WC, Modric has good chance for Ballon d'Or.

Jun 6, 2015
it would significantly prolong the game, atm footie lasts 90 minutes with all the small pauses with ball out of play, compensation time usually accounts only for substitutions and longer pauses, so the "clear" game time in an average game probably is closer to 80 minutes than 90
The actual playing time in football games is usually between 50-60min. In the France - Belgium game the actual playing time was 59min.

As you said those small normal breaks aren't compensated because they are a normal part of the game and the 90 minute playing time is designed with those in mind. If you'd want to stop the clock during all pauses they would need to change the game time to 2 x 30min for example. Stopping the clock would have little to no effect in the actual playing time, the effects would be on the viewer experience side.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
They do in the CL. Personally I'd like to see red cards handed out for time wasting. But it's not always easy to see what is time wasting and what is an actual injury for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Your argument in favour of time wasting is that I am Belgian and therefore suddenly don't have a right to talk about timewasting anymore. It's kind of weird. Because like I've said before, this isn't really about France. I don't like their tactics, but they're allowed. My issue is with the rules.
For the last time - Im not arguing in favor of time wasting. No one in this thread is :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The actual playing time in football games is usually between 50-60min. In the France - Belgium game the actual playing time was 59min.

As you said those small normal breaks aren't compensated because they are a normal part of the game and the 90 minute playing time is designed with those in mind. If you'd want to stop the clock during all pauses they would need to change the game time to 2 x 30min for example. Stopping the clock would have little to no effect in the actual playing time, the effects would be on the viewer experience side.
And it would be a hell of a lot better. Timewasting doesn't just affect time. It affects rhythm too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
For the last time - Im not arguing in favor of time wasting. No one in this thread is :D
If you think it's a normal part of football and you don't think steps should be taken to get rid of it, you are arguing in favour of it.

Jun 6, 2015
And it would be a hell of a lot better. Timewasting doesn't just affect time. It affects rhythm too.

I actually don't see how stopping the clock would affect the rhythm of the game positively. If anything you could stay on the ground for even longer when tired. The only reason I see for it is if they feel the viewer experience gets better. It will have no effect in the actual game imo.

JuveCR7

Fino Alla Fine
Jul 11, 2018
:D

dunno if it was posted, but they also tried to equalize while croatian players were celebrating mandzu's goal:

:stupid:
This is really embarrassing, I havent seen this footage on LIVE broadcast - wow, just wow. Isn't it like in the rules that players must stand on their respective halves during kick-off? If not that, I am sure referee must sound the start of kick-off, before players can pass the ball..

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
If you think it's a normal part of football and you don't think steps should be taken to get rid of it, you are arguing in favour of it.

I think you are reacting very bad to the Belgium loss, your sudden insane hate for France demontrates that you are a small man, just like some of your NT players and, lastly, I think that no matter how good rules of the game will be written in the future and how many refs will be assigned, football players will always be cunning enough to carve out semi-legal advantages for their team. And I dont mind it, its not a gentleman sport, at least not for me

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I actually don't see how stopping the clock would affect the rhythm of the game positively. If anything you could stay on the ground for even longer when tired. The only reason I see for it is if they feel the viewer experience gets better. It will have no effect in the actual game imo.
The last 10 minutes of a game should be the best. Instead that's now where most time is wasted.

If you look at France-Belgium, Matuidi wastes a whole chunk of those 10 minutes by going down because of an 'injury' twice.

Stopping the clock would mean more last minute winners, because the last minutes would actually have to be played.

I don't think players would remain on the ground longer, because it doesn't really give them An advantage.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think you are reacting very bad to the Belgium loss, your sudden insane hate for France demontrates that you are a small man, just like some of your NT players and, lastly, I think that no matter how good rules of the game will be written in the future and how many refs will be assigned, football players will always be cunning enough to carve out semi-legal advantages for their team. And I dont mind it, its not a gentleman sport, at least not for me
I have always said the same thing about the French NT and the French people in general.

It is you who are a France fan and expect me to praise your team. I will do no such thing. They're the same spiteful team they were two years ago and the French are the same cunts they've been for the last 500 years.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I have always said the same thing about the French NT and the French people in general.

It is you who are a France fan and expect me to praise your team. I will do no such thing. They're the same spiteful team they were two years ago and the French are the same cunts they've been for the last 500 years.

So youve been a small man all the time not just the last few days. Got you :baus: For the record, not a France fan, will be just as happy for the Croatian Juve greats if their team mamages to win, both awesome teams

Jun 6, 2015

This comment just made this discussion even more pointless than it already was.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So youve been a small man all the time not just the last few days. Got you :baus:
I don't know. I've pretty much hated the way the French play for 20 years. They'd be the worst world champion since.. France 1998.

I can't fathom why anyone would like their NT and I understand even less why anyone would respect their highly chauvinistic press. The only reason people here find them less disgusting than the English is that they don't speak French and can't understand what they're saying.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
If you look at France-Belgium, Matuidi wastes a whole chunk of those 10 minutes by going down because of an 'injury' twice.
to be fair with matuidi, he was basically knocked out by hazard, and probably had a concussion. he should have been substituted right after that collision.

imho introducing the net match time would create controversy, and it wouldn't go down too well with the tv companies either. the consistent and simple rules in football is one of the most appealing aspect of the game for the masses. no need to change the format, just employ more consequent refs and instruct them better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)