World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (18 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The solution is very easy. Stop the clock. Like they do in basketball.

Games wouldn't last 90 minutes of course. You could make it 60 (during an average game at this World Cup the ball was in play for 55 minutes).

It would improve the quality of so many games imo.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Oh, that. Well... there's no way I'd ever say no to that. I'd sign the petition right away.

I was thinking more among lines "you can't pass the ball back to the GK".

Jun 6, 2015
It's pretty ridiculous for a Juve fan to criticize the way France plays. They are a complete team that play with the right balance in every situation. Basically they have the exact same mentality and approach as Juve does (not surprising considering who their manager is).

Time wasting is infuriating when your team is losing, but it's hardly something the french invented or monopolize. Actually Belgium against Brazil wasted time too.

In my view it was pretty clear who the better team was today and they went through on merit. Belgium only threatened in moments and the further the game went the clearer the gap between the two teams became.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's probably only a matter of time anyway. Too many games in recent history have become unwatchable.

Juve are not innocent either, that much is true. But you can't blame the teams.

Stop the clock and eliminate injury time. Players will speed up.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
@Enron @Seven

stopping the clock is something tv companies (who basically finance the sport) won't ever agree with. it would completely ruin the predictability of the length of a match broadcast.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh, that. Well... there's no way I'd ever say no to that. I'd sign the petition right away.

I was thinking more among lines "you can't pass the ball back to the GK".
No, that's part of the game. Time wasting by being in possession is something you can't punish imo.

But throwing the ball away, not giving it back. Faking an injury. Play on after an injury but then go down again. No. That shit makes games really hard to watch.
It's pretty ridiculous for a Juve fan to criticize the way France plays. They are a complete team that play with the right balance in every situation. Basically they have the exact same mentality and approach as Juve does (not surprising considering who their manager is).

Time wasting is infuriating when your team is losing, but it's hardly something the french invented or monopolize. Actually Belgium against Brazil wasted time too.

In my view it was pretty clear who the better team was today and they went through on merit. Belgium only threatened in moments and the further the game went the clearer the gap between the two teams became.
You can't criticise a team for doing what needs to be done.

You can change the rules so that what needs to be done is different.

France's second half consisted of scoring on a corner kick and sitting back in the own box. I'm not sure how you think that is going through on merit.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
@Enron @Seven

stopping the clock is something tv companies (who basically finance the sport) won't ever agree with. it would completely ruin the predictability of the length of a match broadcast.
If they can do it in basketball, you can do it in football too.

The ball is in play on average for 55 minutes. So you already know that somehow amounts to around 90 minutes total time.

Jun 6, 2015
You can change the rules so that what needs to be done is different.

France's second half consisted of scoring on a corner kick and sitting back in the own box. I'm not sure how you think that is going through on merit.

You always try to paint such a black and white picture about the game. France had by far the better scoring chances in the second half. Would expect you to know that defending really well should also be included when rating how the team has performed. It was up to Belgium to step up after France scored and they just weren't able to.

Anyways I think you should be proud of your team as they did really well in this tournament and won against some great teams. High level football is usually decided by small margins and today the margins fell in France's favor. There's still one game for you guys to win.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You always try to paint such a black and white picture about the game. France had by far the better scoring chances in the second half. Would expect you to know that defending really well should also be included when rating how the team has performed. It was up to Belgium to step up after France scored and they just weren't able to.

Anyways I think you should be proud of your team as they did really well in this tournament and won against some great teams. High level football is usually decided by small margins and today the margins fell in France's favor. There's still one game for you guys to win.
There is obviously no game left for us. No one cares. It is irrelevant. It is something else that has to go.

France had chances towards the end because that's what happens when you're 1-0 up and sitting in your own box. The same would have happend had it been Italy or Sweden. That's just how games evolve.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Not stopping the clock makes great footballers do this shit.

It makes Juve players do this shit.

It makes people at Sunday league do this shit.

I wasn't calling out Mbappe for time-wasting per se. Rather, he was menacing because he would win back possession and create havoc for Belgium's rear guard just when they were trying to press forward. He did that repeatedly and Belgium just couldn't hold the ball when they needed to.

I hardly saw France's tactics as negative or ruining the art of the game per se. Rather, I thought they dared Belgium to do something about it and they couldn't. So good on them.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I think at the end of the day France won by a lucky header and all in all Belgium were robbed of a deserved victory tonight IMO. Such a shame things like this happen in this sport. It's also sad how often did the French players wasted time. I hope FIFA takes acton against them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)