World Cup 2006 Draw (2 Viewers)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Pele has tipped England and Italy to be Brazil's biggest challengers at the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.

"I've seen a lot of games in the last two years and England have improved a lot," the 65-year-old told BBC Sport.

"Of course if nobody gets an injury, then I think England, Italy or Brazil will be in the final.

"But if I have to name a team to win, I name Brazil. Not only because of their quality, but also because they have two players in every position."

As the winner of three World Cups with Brazil in 1958, 1962 and 1970, Pele certainly knows what it takes to succeed in the biggest sporting event on globe.

But even football's most famous face, who won a lifetime achievement award at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year show, realises that next summer's tournament will throw up a few surprises.

Asked whether England can win against Brazil, he said: "They can beat them of course, but the World Cup is very tough.

"If you have a chance to play two legs then we can compare, but the quarters, semi-finals and final are one game each.

"Anything can happen in one game. That is the problem with the World Cup, it is a box of surprises."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4522802.stm

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
Well that's pretty much the only way we could make it. Nations we *must* avoid are: Italy, Brazil, Czech Republic

QUOTE]

You could beat Italy if you weren't such notorious chokers. The deal with Italy is that they have beaten you before and in the most painful way possible at Euro 2000. So I guess your team would be too busy thinking about that and making up for it. I fail to see why you would lose to the Czech Republic though.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
You could beat Italy if you weren't such notorious chokers. The deal with Italy is that they have beaten you before and in the most painful way possible at Euro 2000. So I guess your team would be too busy thinking about that and making up for it. I fail to see why you would lose to the Czech Republic though.
Because Nedved is coming back and even when they played without Nedved; the only reason we beat them in the qualifiers is sheer luck. Just watch the match that was played in Rotterdam and you'll see what I mean :doh:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik said:
Because Nedved is coming back and even when they played without Nedved; the only reason we beat them in the qualifiers is sheer luck. Just watch the match that was played in Rotterdam and you'll see what I mean :doh:
Perhaps. But isn't this about choking as well? You've lost a lot of games against the Czechs in the recent past and now they're becoming invincible to you. All in all they aren't half as talented as Holland. That said, there's no chance you'll be crowned world champions IMO. Not as organised as England, not as fancy as Brazil and not as angry as Italy or Spain.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Seven said:
Perhaps. But isn't this about choking as well? You've lost a lot of games against the Czechs in the recent past and now they're becoming invincible to you. All in all they aren't half as talented as Holland. That said, there's no chance you'll be crowned world champions IMO. Not as organised as England, not as fancy as Brazil and not as angry as Italy or Spain.
There's always *a* chance, although I'd be among the first to admit ours isn't among the biggest.

And those comparisons are all true; but nobody plays like we do either. There's always those characteristics about every team.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well if Holland can survive their group this summer anything is possible. Seeing that your opponents will probably be either of Portugal or Mexico, I would not exactly say you're inferior to those two sides...quite the opposite to the latter. And considering this is going to take place in Europe you'll have a slight advantage over some of the other countries, however then again you would probably face England in one match or another so you'll have the work cut out for you.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Zé Tahir said:
Pele has tipped England and Italy to be Brazil's biggest challengers at the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.
With all due respect, Pele, we loved you on the pitch and all, but who the %$#@ asked you?! :wth:

Off the pitch, your career has mostly been a disaster. So what makes you part of the psychic friends network? Since when have you become an authority on sports betting lines? :confused2

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
swag said:
With all due respect, Pele, we loved you on the pitch and all, but who the %$#@ asked you?! :wth:

Off the pitch, your career has mostly been a disaster. So what makes you part of the psychic friends network? Since when have you become an authority on sports betting lines? :confused2

since he autographed my total 90 aerow ball :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Don't get me wrong. I like Pele. I just hate it when sports journalists get so desperate for a story that they do something so irrelevant as to ask a byegone player as if he's somehow an authority on something that has little to do with how good he was as a player -- as if there's no difference.

If he was a successful NT coach who mastered the art of team preparedness, match-ups, and preparation -- you might have something. If he was a successful bookie who made millions on his predictions, you'd really have something.

Instead, what we get is a pointless interview akin to asking Dustin Hoffman what upcoming Hollywood movie will gross the biggest opening weekend at the box office.

And this is the BBC? Shameful, just shameful.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Obviously his words and opinion dont mean anything, because everything is possible leading up to the tournament and beyond. I guess, its just a sign of respect to let the world in on Pele and his views - which by the way are off as far as I'm concerned. Brazil wont be getting anywhere close to the final. :)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I hope you're right, baggio. It would be nice to see some new blood at the top for a change.

But when Pele starts commenting on what he thinks shares of Manchester United should be worth, it's all over. ;)

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
Check dis...

Maradona: “Seems Like Pelé’s Having His Period”12/12/2005 10:13:00 PM

Diego Maradona has waded into Edson Arantes do Nascimento (a.k.a. Pelé) about the "pavadas" – nonsense – after O Rei made some (as usual) ill-advised comments about Corinthians’ newest idol: ex-Boca Juniors star Carlitos Tevez.

Maradona was annoyed that Pelé said that Tevez was only able to pick up the ‘Best player in the Brasileirão’ trophy as Robinho is now with Real Madrid. "Pelé is like that; he’s always got an opinion about everything. It seems like he’s having a period and he’s feeling all flustered. It really irritated me to find out that he’s been speaking against Tevez”.
The mythical Albiceleste ‘Dios’ was at the Bombonera to see Boca Juniors face Independiente. Minutes earlier, Maradona had hugged Tevez, present at his old haunt after winning the Brazilian league with Corinthians. Carlitos had his good work in neighbouring Brazil recognised at the Buenos Aires Stadium before Boca made his day by beating their rivals 2-0.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
RochemBeck said:
Well if Holland can survive their group this summer anything is possible. Seeing that your opponents will probably be either of Portugal or Mexico, I would not exactly say you're inferior to those two sides...quite the opposite to the latter. And considering this is going to take place in Europe you'll have a slight advantage over some of the other countries, however then again you would probably face England in one match or another so you'll have the work cut out for you.
England is nicely up our street in terms of style of play, though. I'd rather face England than a nation like Macedonia (we faced in the qualifiers) cause the "11 men behind the ball and just kick everything that moves" type of approach we struggle the most with.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Erik said:
England is nicely up our street in terms of style of play, though. I'd rather face England than a nation like Macedonia (we faced in the qualifiers) cause the "11 men behind the ball and just kick everything that moves" type of approach we struggle the most with.
Italia a few years back :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)