Wojciech Szczęsny (14 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I think I'm going to stop bitching about the midfield for the time being. The way I see it, it's pretty simple: As long as Szjes Shzse Sjhez Ssje Tek, with his current form, is in goal we don't have a chance of achieving anything.

He's obviously made a lot (of) bigger mistakes in the past, but is it really too much to ask to save, at the very least, one of those 2 shots yesterday? If those are considered impossible to save, we might just as well stop fielding a goalkeeper.

He really has gone from an average but mostly reliable goalkeeper to one of the most unreliable ones out there. No confidence at all between him & the defence and basically every time our opponent comes close to our box, we become incredibly shaky. Let alone when they actually shoot on goal.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Don't think he could have done anything about the goals. Haven't replayed them but during the game it looked like Danilo should have imposed himself and needed cover. Bonucci trying to set up an offside trap on opposing half was hilarious though.
On the minus for the pole, I would say that he has always had a tendency to put defenders in tricky situation. His distribution can be really poor and in every game I've seen him in, at least once or twice, he passes to someone that immediately is under pressure in an awkward position. It's like he doesn't want to hoof it away because that would look poorly on him. Instead he sets someone else up in a dangerous position. Buffon had a tendency to do this too. But I guess that's common for GKs with poor technique being asked to keep possession.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Don't think he could have done anything about the goals. Haven't replayed them but during the game it looked like Danilo should have imposed himself and needed cover. Bonucci trying to set up an offside trap on opposing half was hilarious though.
On the minus for the pole, I would say that he has always had a tendency to put defenders in tricky situation. His distribution can be really poor and in every game I've seen him in, at least once or twice, he passes to someone that immediately is under pressure in an awkward position. It's like he doesn't want to hoof it away because that would look poorly on him. Instead he sets someone else up in a dangerous position. Buffon had a tendency to do this too. But I guess that's common for GKs with poor technique being asked to keep possession.
on the 2nd he definitely was beaten way too easily, he has a bad tendency to leave open the low corner of the near post and it feels like strikers are beginning to exploit that weakness, I've seen Tek concede these a lot more than any other keeper I can remember, I can recall at least three of these this year if not more. there's nothing you can do about a classic Del Piero (or Insigne from the more modern players) curler on the far post, but medium strength shots at the near post you should definitely keep out.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Any GKs or former GKs here? Is he partially to blame for the second goal?
We have to consider his defense shit itself and left him with no good play to make against the run of play. Obviously he could have covered the near post better and closed the angle down. I think it’s a savable shot. Tek just didn’t react quickly enough like he did later on in the match.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Any GKs or former GKs here? Is he partially to blame for the second goal?
yeah I played goalie, and the theme I’ve noticed with Tek is his footwork, or lack of. It’s been my main takeaway on multiple goals he’s allowed this season, including the one you’re talking about (along with not covering the near post.) Its weird that a guy on that level gets caught flat footed as much as he does, it’s one of the first things youre taught not to do, and I don’t particularly remember it being an issue in the past. Then again I never really payed attention because he used to be pretty steady. That goal should've never happened, deflection or not. That’d be a sad goal to allow in college, nevermind a pro league.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
yeah I played goalie, and the theme I’ve noticed with Tek is his footwork, or lack of. It’s been my main takeaway on multiple goals he’s allowed this season, including the one you’re talking about (along with not covering the near post.) Its weird that a guy on that level gets caught flat footed as much as he does, it’s one of the first things youre taught not to do, and I don’t particularly remember it being an issue in the past. Then again I never really payed attention because he used to be pretty steady. That goal should've never happened, deflection or not. That’d be a sad goal to allow in college, nevermind a pro league.
What about the first goal I felt he should have saved that

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
on the 2nd he definitely was beaten way too easily, he has a bad tendency to leave open the low corner of the near post and it feels like strikers are beginning to exploit that weakness, I've seen Tek concede these a lot more than any other keeper I can remember, I can recall at least three of these this year if not more. there's nothing you can do about a classic Del Piero (or Insigne from the more modern players) curler on the far post, but medium strength shots at the near post you should definitely keep out.
His fall from grace in the second half of last season started with conceding multiple goals at the near post. This one wasn't as bad, but it's still something he should have saved.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Aah. Yes he was good. I feel like everything is in reverse from when we dominated. The other teams are doing what we were doing while we are doing what they were doing.
Not everyone. Only the bald master leaving no doubt who was behind our rise.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
What about the first goal I felt he should have saved that
I don’t wanna act like some expert cuz I definitely wouldn’t have saved that one, but yeah he probably could’ve done better. It was a good shot though.

- - - Updated - - -

They didn't show a replay of that save during the game. That one's actually really good, probably his best moment in 8 months.
Yeah thats a good save. He also had a massive one vs Milan in the last minute or whatever that saved us a point. But we shouldnt be able to count his top saves on one hand, not with the money he’s making.

Last edited:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Not everyone. Only the bald master leaving no doubt who was behind our rise.
Undoubtedly the one doing best of all. But look at Milan, Roma and Napoli, they have balanced squads and managers much better than what they ised to. They all have exciting talents that look like they have a bright future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)