Wojciech Szczęsny (11 Viewers)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I disagree entirely. No he wasn’t better. Donnarumma was awful this year. And our team, under Pirlo, was defensively worse than this Milan, yet somehow conceded less goals.

Now maybe you could make the argument that Donnarumma underperformed as he didn’t give a shit because he was just running down his contract to leave, but if that’s the case I absolutely don’t want a turd who would behave like that here.

Donnarumma’s save % was 71.2 this year, Tek’s was 70.5. Both saved 33.3% of penalties taken against. Yeah. Nearly identical. And this was Tek’s worst year here by far.
So Donnarumma has a better % and we conceded less, I think we are the ones to have the better defense. Also I don't know how many of their goals either is directly or partially responsible for, how many "sure goals" they saved etc. But the little I saw of Dolla and all I saw of Woj, the better keeper was Dolla.

It's true this is Wojs worst season, but who guarantees you he won't repeat it? Who guarantees he won't continue to decline? He's on 6M a year costing us points, I think that's one of the positions we need to improve

Buy on AliExpress.com

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
So Donnarumma has a better % and we conceded less, I think we are the ones to have the better defense. Also I don't know how many of their goals either is directly or partially responsible for, how many "sure goals" they saved etc. But the little I saw of Dolla and all I saw of Woj, the better keeper was Dolla.

It's true this is Wojs worst season, but who guarantees you he won't repeat it? Who guarantees he won't continue to decline? He's on 6M a year costing us points, I think that's one of the positions we need to improve
There are no guarantees in football.

BiancoEg

Aug 22, 2020
This Euro is proving why did we lose the league last eyar , when this idiot is your first choice keeper and you have a sissy player like morata it isn't a surprise

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

That save % difference is 0.7% lol.

Costing us points in a season where we literally had 3-4 consistently good performers in our whole squad. And from what I saw, in the matches I watched, Donnarumma was easily as bad, if not worse than Tek this year. No one is arguing that Tek had a good year, he didn’t. But it’s laughable to suggest Donnarumma had a good year too.

Our defensive organization was awful last season too, we allowed a huge number of good chances. And Tek saved our bacon over and over. He was a major reason we won the scudetto with Sarri, alongside Dybala and Ronaldo. He made countless great saves for us. Had the kind of season Donnarumma can only dream of as far as performances go.

So I’d prefer we sign a keeper on that level, Tek from 2018-2020, or better. Until we can, I’ll hope Tek gets back to his best this year. Giving a keeper who at best marginally better than Tek in his worst season, over 10 mil/year would be beyond stupid. He’d have to be Buffon level to deserve that and he’s not even close.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Save % is a crap metric to compare keepers though
Yeah. It can be. But then there aren’t really great stats to quantify goalkeeper performance. Without analyzing individual chance quality. Or counting actual goalkeeper blunders.

Anyways, Szczesny was Serie A keeper of the year just a single season ago for good reason. He was fantastic. I see no reason he can’t get back to that.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Yeah. It can be. But then there aren’t really great stats to quantify goalkeeper performance. Without analyzing individual chance quality. Or counting actual goalkeeper blunders.

Anyways, Szczesny was Serie A keeper of the year just a single season ago for good reason. He was fantastic. I see no reason he can’t get back to that.
From what I see, xG works fine for goalies, a lot better than than save % and Woj is doing bad this year based on that, as we all know having watched him a lot and can safely assume Buffon was better.

I don't like xG for attackers, as strikers with good movement will end up getting punished by xG in the long term.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
From what I see, xG works fine for goalies, a lot better than than save % and Woj is doing bad this year based on that, as we all know having watched him a lot and can safely assume Buffon was better.

I don't like xG for attackers, as strikers with good movement will end up getting punished by xG in the long term.
I think xG works okay, but again can be misleading with stronger teams and the sort of chances they allow. And what should and should not actually be saved.

Alex-444

Sep 5, 2005
Wojciech Szczensny and his first EURO matches

EURO 2012
Removed from the field

EURO 2016
He was injured and could not participate in the subsequent games.

EURO 2020
The goalkeeper scored the first og in the history of the EURO.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

EURO 2012
Removed from the field

EURO 2016

EURO 2020
we got a winner :baus:

- - - Updated - - -

Lol this what agents always say

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
That save % difference is 0.7% lol.

Costing us points in a season where we literally had 3-4 consistently good performers in our whole squad. And from what I saw, in the matches I watched, Donnarumma was easily as bad, if not worse than Tek this year. No one is arguing that Tek had a good year, he didn’t. But it’s laughable to suggest Donnarumma had a good year too.

Our defensive organization was awful last season too, we allowed a huge number of good chances. And Tek saved our bacon over and over. He was a major reason we won the scudetto with Sarri, alongside Dybala and Ronaldo. He made countless great saves for us. Had the kind of season Donnarumma can only dream of as far as performances go.

So I’d prefer we sign a keeper on that level, Tek from 2018-2020, or better. Until we can, I’ll hope Tek gets back to his best this year. Giving a keeper who at best marginally better than Tek in his worst season, over 10 mil/year would be beyond stupid. He’d have to be Buffon level to deserve that and he’s not even close.
Costing us points point. No ifs and buts. Why didn't all that affect Buffon? I'd understand if you talk about outfield players but GK you either make the saves and don't fuck up or you not.

Donnarumma was GK of the year this year (same source and same point you bring up about Woj last year) so either you evaluated him wrong or that award was crap (same one that named Dybala MVP). On the actual Serie A Gala awards, Donnarumma made the team of the season for 2020.

We conceded more goals last year with Sarri than this year, so numbers wise he was even worse. I don't remember the savings of our asses except on a few instances, and I don't remember him being great overall either. So either you acknowledge Donnarumma was better this season (as he was), or you say that award is bogus (which it is), and call back to the actual awards that matter and weren't introduced 2-3 seasons ago, the Serie A Gala, where Dolla was better even last season...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_A_Goalkeeper_of_the_Year
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_A_Awards

Woj was decent for us but never WC, and we as Juve fans should always strive for better and greater. He is aging, overpaid, and is now going back to his error prone self. He's a liability that should be addressed, either with a great (but cheap) 2nd goalie or to replace him as a starter.

Either way, Donnarumma would have been an improvement right now, and especially in the long term. He'd have been a great addition but for that salary we are better off looking for someone else. That someone else can't be Woj imo

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but you put yourself into best possible position first. You do your part, not rely on hope and luck

OP
piotrr

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #2,113
    nowonder fabianski was rated the number 1 by the previous Polish manager.
    Fabianski was not rated #1 by previous manager. Last time he was getting more playing time was in euro 2016 when Szczesny got injured. We had a good tournamet then tho.
    Remember Quag vs Matri wars? It's basically the same in Poland with Szczesny and Fabianski :lol:

EURO 2012
    Removed from the field

EURO 2016

EURO 2020
    2018 world cup

comment_161359340465Jp8y3vtinKzeCI6rSkDi.jpg

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Costing us points point. No ifs and buts. Why didn't all that affect Buffon? I'd understand if you talk about outfield players but GK you either make the saves and don't fuck up or you not.

Donnarumma was GK of the year this year (same source and same point you bring up about Woj last year) so either you evaluated him wrong or that award was crap (same one that named Dybala MVP). On the actual Serie A Gala awards, Donnarumma made the team of the season for 2020.

We conceded more goals last year with Sarri than this year, so numbers wise he was even worse. I don't remember the savings of our asses except on a few instances, and I don't remember him being great overall either. So either you acknowledge Donnarumma was better this season (as he was), or you say that award is bogus (which it is), and call back to the actual awards that matter and weren't introduced 2-3 seasons ago, the Serie A Gala, where Dolla was better even last season...

Woj was decent for us but never WC, and we as Juve fans should always strive for better and greater. He is aging, overpaid, and is now going back to his error prone self. He's a liability that should be addressed, either with a great (but cheap) 2nd goalie or to replace him as a starter.

Either way, Donnarumma would have been an improvement right now, and especially in the long term. He'd have been a great addition but for that salary we are better off looking for someone else. That someone else can't be Woj imo

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but you put yourself into best possible position first. You do your part, not rely on hope and luck
    And I disagree. Donnarumma is not better and has not been better. Simple as that. My eye test says the opposite of your eye test. At best he was marginally better this year and worse the previous two years while committing some of the most atrocious blunders I’ve seen a keeper make.

anyways, this isn’t going anywhere. Agree to disagree.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

Such a long post to describe what can be summarized in one simple sentence: Szczesny had a rather poor season, especially from his standards.

- - - Updated - - -

This Euro is proving why did we lose the league last eyar , when this idiot is your first choice keeper and you have a sissy player like morata it isn't a surprise
    lol, Morata and Woj were two of our smallest problems this season. This is what happens when fans make judgments based on a 2 min highlight video rather than watching the actual games :sergio:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    And I disagree. Donnarumma is not better and has not been better. Simple as that. My eye test says the opposite of your eye test. At best he was marginally better this year and worse the previous two years while committing some of the most atrocious blunders I’ve seen a keeper make.

anyways, this isn’t going anywhere. Agree to disagree.
    Your eye test is wrong, or is the MVP awards wrong, which you brought up to defend Woj. Which one is it? You said Woj was the best keeper in 2020 based on the Awards, which gave Donnarumma the edge as best keeper this year.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Your eye test is wrong, or is the MVP awards wrong, which you brought up to defend Woj. Which one is it? You said Woj was the best keeper in 2020 based on the Awards, which gave Donnarumma the edge as best keeper this year.
    My eye test agreed with it last year, it doesn’t agree with it this year. That’s pretty simple, dude. Donnarumma in the matches I watched was nothing special. That’s fine if you and that award disagree. I suppose your eye test about last year was wrong if you think Woj wasn’t that good but won it lol

As I said, agree to disagree. Don’t be boring. We don’t have to agree on this. You think Donnarumma > Szczesny, I don’t. Simple.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    My eye test agreed with it last year, it doesn’t agree with it this year. That’s pretty simple, dude. Donnarumma in the matches I watched was nothing special. That’s fine if you and that award disagree. I suppose your eye test about last year was wrong if you think Woj wasn’t that good but won it lol

As I said, agree to disagree. Don’t be boring. We don’t have to agree on this. You think Donnarumma > Szczesny, I don’t. Simple.
    Nope, i said already that the awards are not good measurement, because of this:
    The ranking for each category is determined through a weighted calculation elaborated by Ernst & Young, based on statistical reporting by Stats Perform and Opta Sports and supported by data tracking provided by Netco Sports.
    The other award:
    The Gran Galà del Calcio AIC is an event organised by the Italian Footballers' Association (AIC) in order to reward players, managers and referees who have been considered to have performed the best over the previous Serie A season. The winners of the awards are chosen by the league's footballers. It replaced the Oscar del Calcio AIC in 2011, which had occurred since 1997.
    And the Italian footballers association chose Donnarumma for 2020 as opposed to stats sites picking Szczesny, and thats what id rather stick to that. Szczesny was at his best in 2019, and i dont think he was WC even then. Great yes, but not among the few top in the world level. 2020 he wasnt as good and this year definitely not.

But yeah, lets agree to disagree, just wanted to point out the difference between the awards and why one isnt to be taken seriously

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)