Wishlist and General Juve mercato talk (2014-15) (79 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
what if he is unavailable? bare in mind there is the AFCON at the end of the year
Asamoah of course still getting a large amount of minutes both at LWB and CM.
The only problem would be not having a backup at LWB during the time Asamoah is at AFCON, and that's the case now anyways.

Also, this discussion is most probably completely hypothetical in any case as I don't believe Vidal is leaving.

Mar 3, 2014
As someone who works in investment management and looks at companies for a living (security selection for a private wealth management company), I've looked at Juve's financials... They aren't great, but solvency isn't in question. The company is pretty much break even, and without transfer market purchases actually makes money (ie: no signing, just carrying the wage load). It's ISN'T extremely profitable by any means, and I'd never ever invest in it's equity. However, considering I specialize in high yield debt (aka junk bonds, non-investment grade bonds like Radioshack, WIND Telecomunicazioni) I wouldn't hesitate to lend money to Juve (I'd want a 7-8% coupon), but I would.

That brings me to the assertions of the English media that we 'need' to sell Vidal for financial purposes. That is a absolute crap. The only issue the company may have is liquidity, with large payments due in the near future. That can be covered with a line of credit, because its liquidity, not solvency. All Juve needs to focus on is investing wisely, and growing revenues - selling players isn't imperative unless the proceeds are that significant and the targets are both attractive and attainable.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
As someone who works in investment management and looks at companies for a living (security selection for a private wealth management company), I've looked at Juve's financials... They aren't great, but solvency isn't in question. The company is pretty much break even, and without transfer market purchases actually makes money (ie: no signing, just carrying the wage load). It's extremely profitable by any means, and I'd never ever invest in it's equity. However, considering I specialize in high yield debt (aka junk bonds, non-investment grade bonds like Radioshack, WIND Telecomunicazioni) I wouldn't hesitate to lend money to Juve (I'd want a 7-8% coupon), but I would.

That brings me to the assertions of the English media that we 'need' to sell Vidal for financial purposes. That is a absolute crap. The only issue the company may have is liquidity, with large payments due in the near future. That can be covered with a line of credit, because its liquidity, not solvency. All Juve needs to focus on is investing wisely, and growing revenues - selling players isn't imperative unless the proceeds are that significant and the targets are both attractive and attainable.
Awesome! Good to see someone on this forum who is in the finance industry. So am I! I am a portfolio manager based in Hong Kong who invest in Asia Pac (ex Japan) equities for a large (Canadian) Asset Management firm

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
As someone who works in investment management and looks at companies for a living (security selection for a private wealth management company), I've looked at Juve's financials... They aren't great, but solvency isn't in question. The company is pretty much break even, and without transfer market purchases actually makes money (ie: no signing, just carrying the wage load). It's extremely profitable by any means, and I'd never ever invest in it's equity. However, considering I specialize in high yield debt (aka junk bonds, non-investment grade bonds like Radioshack, WIND Telecomunicazioni) I wouldn't hesitate to lend money to Juve (I'd want a 7-8% coupon), but I would.

Good post, and yeah, we do not need to sell Vidal for financial reasons whatsoever. It would be for the purpose of funding additional transfers without going too far in debt, but since we wouldn't be able to buy anybody worth the investment, we might as well keep Vidal. I would also never purchase a football club stock, what a waste of money.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
I'm not in finance...im the person who spends the money being in Marketing but if Vidal was to be sold, in theory we could spend the money we get from the sale to purchase more players. If the club sees it as being necessary that is.

With Asamoah away at the AFCON, it leaves us short in midfield. Can Pereyra play in a two way midfield role? Is Marrone staying and if so, I would have thought he'd be better suited to central holding position in midfield. AND, after a world cup and heavy schedule the past two seasons where rarely being rested, can Pirlo play with limited rest.

I really think if Vidal left, we'd bring in another midfielder. Guarin is being rumoured to United now, fingers crossed this means Vidal is staying 100%. I personally hope he wouldn't be the replacement for Vidal any way but can see it happen.

After watching yet another performance under the 3-5-2 against the All Stars last night, it is clear to me we lack creativity in that final third yet again. Coman is not the answer, not yet any way. Giovinco can add some spark if given licence to roam free in that final third and take on defenders rather than having his back towards goal constantly. If Pepe stays fit he can surprisingly give us some spark when coming on as a sub. I have been critical on him a lot over the years but in hindsight under Conte he always gave his best, more so than many other hacks in the squad. Pereyra...has to prove himself.

I don't know...in my view Allegri would be stupid not to ask for that playmaker. A jovetic is clearly needed in this team. At the expense of Vidal is the question, but something has to give.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
As I have explained in another forum, the way the mgt look at the finances is in terms of the P&L. FFP regulations are primarily applied to this metric (as apposed to cash flows or debt).

As far as I understand, a transfer fee for a player is amortized over the duration of the contract. For example, 20m fee on a 5 year contract is amortized at 4m per year. Its also important to be reminded that wages in Italy are usually quoted after tax, hence a player earning EU3.5m is really costing the club close to EU7m a year. Hence, wages tend to be overlooked in terms of their importance to the P&L on this forum as people are obsessed with transfer fees.

So if we were to look at a player like Jovetic for instance. If his fee was 25m, we could sign him on a 5 year contract (due to his age) while someone like Lavezzi @ 20m is realistically only available on a 3 year contract. Therefore amortization cost is EU1.6m a year higher for Lavezzi with a far lower resale potential.

A sale of Vidal for EU50m would be very significant because we paid EU10-11m for the player (on a 5 year contract as I can recall). His book value at the point of sale would only be around 4m - hence we would book a one off gain of EU46m on the sale. The FFP rules works on a rolling 3 basis as far as I am aware. The fire power would be substantial on new acquisitions.

The sales of Immobile and Zaza are actually significant from a P&L perspective as they are almost pure profit sales.

FuriaCeca

Jun 2, 2014
For me, Juventus's purchase mercato this summer is a faliure. At least untill this point.
Entering this mercato we had two main objectives:

1- Strengthening our starting XI for the 3-5-2 or other formations.
2- Buying important players in positions we need that will allow us to be verstile and change formations.

We failed at both.

We didn't get any player to improve our starting 11 in the 3-5-2. (Cuadrado, Cavani, Hummels, Marcelo).
And we didn't get any player in positions we need to be able to change formations (Isco, Cuadrado, Sanchez, Iturbe).

The only positive thing in this mercato, in my eyes, is the Evra deal, since he will improve us a little bit in the 3-5-2, and is a player that can allow us to change somewhat to a back 4. Evra deal actually fullfills partly our objectives.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
It's important to define "we" because the club doesn't announce mercato objectives. Fans set them for themselves without any clue of what's possible or not.

Plus Coman, Pereyra, Romulo, Evra (& our own Simone Pepe) make a formation shift possible.

Jul 13, 2010
@FuriaCeca it is not easy to strenghten a squad like we already had. How would we strengthen 3-5-2? How would Cuadrado improve our strating XI? He's more suitable than tevez? How would you expect to buy cavani who just last year joined oil freaks on a massive deal with a decent chance for them to win everything they have on offer? Cavani has no intention to go to us. Marcelo is an important Real player and have just won CL with them. Is Juve a step forward for him? He has no intention too. I could only see us replacing bonucci with hummels to concede less stupid goals. And that wouldn't improve our attacking play anyway.

The only sign to show some ambition is to change the formation with adding world class attacking midfielder to support strikers, with playmaking objectives left for Pirlo.

Now with what we've seen there is no much ewvidence we'll change formation, having said that, there is no real way to improve our squad but to add depth and make our rotation players stronger. Which is also strenghtening for a squad as a whole. In other words we haven't added top speed of our car, but made an average speed higher. And every motorsports fan would say that is improvement :p

Therefore, I don't blame Marotta, as we not only somewhat lack funds, but we don't have where to spend them exept to add depth. And he's doing just that.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
For me, Juventus's purchase mercato this summer is a faliure. At least untill this point.
Entering this mercato we had two main objectives:

1- Strengthening our starting XI for the 3-5-2 or other formations.
2- Buying important players in positions we need that will allow us to be verstile and change formations.

We failed at both.

We didn't get any player to improve our starting 11 in the 3-5-2. (Cuadrado, Cavani, Hummels, Marcelo).
And we didn't get any player in positions we need to be able to change formations (Isco, Cuadrado, Sanchez, Iturbe).

The only positive thing in this mercato, in my eyes, is the Evra deal, since he will improve us a little bit in the 3-5-2, and is a player that can allow us to change somewhat to a back 4. Evra deal actually fullfills partly our objectives.
We actually did 1 and 2.

Offcourse not with the players you are suggesting cause we obviously cannot afford those

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 79)