Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Actually I dont look at anything but Football Italia and Calciomercato - Rashford is good but he is nowhere near our level...

- - - Updated - - -

Ngolo as in Ngolo Kante? If it is Kante it would be a long term solution to the engine part of our mid
De Ligt is definitely a WC defender in the making..

- - - Updated - - -

I know but it's too hilarious. 70m euros on Danny Welbeck 2.0? Where do these English papers get their sources?
70M?! He is a 30M player at best.. just stupid rumors I guess..

By the way I saw Calciomercato links us with 120M for Asensio

Last edited:

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Actually I dont look at anything but Football Italia and Calciomercato - Rashford is good but he is nowhere near our level...

- - - Updated - - -

Ngolo as in Ngolo Kante? If it is Kante it would be a long term solution to the engine part of our mid
De Ligt is definitely a WC defender in the making..

- - - Updated - - -

70M?! He is a 30M player at best.. just stupid rumors I guess..

By the way I saw Calciomercato links us with 120M for Asensio
@Wittl

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
If we get De Ligt it's fine, but its a shame we are slowly giving up on our Italian core. I fear we'll end up like United or Inter in the long run if we just sign mercenaries in and out of a constantly revolving door.

Apr 29, 2006
I have my doubts about Marcelo.

+ Is he the best? No doubt, especially going forward.
+ Provides almost perfect balance and understanding in attack with CR7. Would make Matuidi even more useful to the team.
+ Alex Sandro's value/contract situation. Provided there is interest we can get a good deal in January without an extension of his contract

- He is 30. I know great Brazilian fullbacks sometimes age as wine (Cafu, Carlos, Alves), but occasionally the decline is much more rapid(Maicon).
- No resale value and huge transfer fees. A hefty salary is on the cards too, since its his last big payday.
- Aging squad that may need another huge investment in the not so distant future.

Overall I would take him as he is that good. The question is would the difference between him and AS be so significant that it will win us the CL/those clutch games? On one side perhaps it's not, but on the other when we have CR7 getting 30M net per year with the sole aim of winning the CL - nothing is too much. We are desperately gunning for that trophy.

Maybe its a plot to pressure AS to extend on a favourable terms for Juve. It will be an interesting tranfer market. I expect one of Rugani and Benatia to depart too.

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
I doubt that it will happen, but even if there`s a small possibility, then Marcelo is a no-brainer. He is literally THE left back of the last decade, he`s got worldwide reputation and recognition, he is an obvious upgrade on Alex Sandro, just like Ronaldo was for Higuain. That doesnt mean that Sandro and Higuain are bad players, on the contrary - they are very good players, but when compared to the absolute best on their positions like Marcelo and Ronaldo, its obvious that they are inferior, thats not debatable.

Age is irrelevant here, he`s got it all, he was top class at 25, is top class at 30 and will still be even at 34/35. Money is another factor that doesnt really matter - top players cost more money and earn the most, if you want the best left back in football you have to pay him accordingly.

A big yes to Marcelo, if the board is confident that we can afford him, then go ahead and sign him!

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
No to Marcelo. He has the most class out of any fullback out there but he is turning 31 and is unathletic. He was already weak defensively in his prime, now he is very inconsistent for Madrid. Shows up with an amazing forward play and then forgets that he is a defender. His form is one of the problems that Madrid is having this season. He doesn't have the stamina and discipline to be a great fullback at 30+.

Sacrificing Alex for this is pretty pointless. I'm sure Marcelo would be expensive given that it's Madrid.

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
Alex Sandro has been pretty shet as of late though and we have zero alternatives. Really hope we can get Spazzolino fit soon to give him some real competition and maybe improve his game to the level he had in 2016. If he keeps his anonymous performances up I wouldn't mind shipping him for the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)