Winning Eleven 8 / Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (5 Viewers)

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Well I must say the gameplay is brilliant, much better than FIFA. The ball movements are so much more realistic, and players miss a lot of shots, unlike FIFA.

The tactics are amazing, especially since you can basically make each player do anything you want. I love how you can move players around and sort of create your own special system. I moved Zambro up the field a little bit, and push Nedved up and inside more. I also moved Zlatan back a bit to where he plays in real life, and changed around his movements. I still need help understanding the different movements the players make. But yeah the gameplay is sick, and AI is a lot better than FIFA.

I suppose I just have to used to playing without Europe, and focus on Serie A. It is more fun to actually play this game because the gameplay looks more realistic. Does the Master League have the real players? It looked like it didn't, and if thats correct, why?

But I am playing at the three star level and just lost to Roma 3-0. That AI on the part of Roma was sick because I could not create any chances in the second half. So I need some work. But so far it has been good...
I tell you, the Master League Mode is the best thing about it! Since you like the gameplay, the tactics, you will love the Master League mode. If you have the game for PC, I can give you a patch, which gives you all the original names, jerseys, etc.

Buy on AliExpress.com

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
All other teams play with the original squads except you. You get the default team that you have to built on no matter which team you chose. Pretty annoying, but still fun to build you're own team by picking up the likes of Cavinaghi, Milito, Chiumiento..etc.
In my version you can choose. Either you play with those unknown guys, or you play with the real players, or you create your own team!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

It usually takes me 10 minutes to set my formation/tactics/pre-game setup before the game if I don't have it saved. That includes everything from assigning the captain to setting how strong the defense should stick to the offside trap. ( I usually keep it on "B" since I think only Thuram has the special "Defense Line control" attribute. Start off by adjusting the defense according to your opponent and find your best setting. Offensive strength comes once you get used to the game. 3 stars difficulty is a walk in the park to most users. I'm sure you'll pick it up fast and enjoy playing at 5 or even the unlockable 6 star difficulty in no time.
Damn, I just read through the manual, and I will have to read through it again with with the PS2 controller in hand. There are so many different controls I have to learn.

Right now I am playing with I think 4 stars, and I tied Atalanta 1-1.

All other teams play with the original squads except you. You get the default team that you have to built on no matter which team you chose. Pretty annoying, but still fun to build you're own team by picking up the likes of Cavinaghi, Milito, Chiumiento..etc.
Oh I see, so they make you build your own team, transfers and all. I guess I will have to check it out.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004

Oh I see, so they make you build your own team, transfers and all. I guess I will have to check it out.
yes, and there is a "champions league". if you come in the top 2 or 3 spots of the top division the next season you're in the "WEFA championships" which is pretty much the champions league, a tournament of all the top teams from each division (north east south west or w/e it is)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I always used to play with "Tower Cam" ever since Fifa 96. In WE, you'll have to get used to "wide" (or is it called: "far" ). I hate the default setting. Way too close. "far/wide" is not as far as Tower cam, but it's the best thing in WE. It's good enough to see enough players to make short passes and control the game. With time, you'll get used to knowing your players' movements. The map on the bottom also becomes usefull the more acquainted you become to the game.
I have to say it is quite vexing to play a soccer game and have to use a bloody radar to be able to see my players.

But I agree with what you say, the gameplay and how fun it is to play makes up for all the downsides. I also like how the menus are less annoying than Fifa, like saving a game doesn't take 4 clicks and two confirmation dialogs, you just put it on autosave and that's it.

So I've been playing with Inter and whoever made this game must be a big Inter fan cause Materazzi is freakishly good. Not only is he a tank who wins all headers, he also never loses a challenge on the ball and has very decent ball handling. And they made Stam a fatso which he isn't.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by iBianconeri ] ++
WE8: dove e Ibrahimovic in questo gioco? perche juventus no ha ibrahimovic?
Actually, when I start playing a Master League or Cup or something, I get a dialog asking me which players I want to use. If I select "Match Mode" players then I get real players on my team ;) But hopefully that's just in the PC version and you guys have to struggle with the crap default team. :p

Damn why doesn't Konami and EA Sports just merge to create the BEST video game ever?
*doing the money dance*

I imagine the only way that would happen is if EA bought Konami, just like they did with Westwood and all those other companies that don't exist anymore. Now because EA has a Fifa series of its own, you know they would mess with WE and totally f. it up. So I think it's better this way.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
hmmm, I never played with Inter..

how gruesome of you, Martin :yuck: :D
Oh it's fun, they have such great players and so maaany players too, it's like a coin toss everytime I want to decide who gets to play. :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Btw there isn't an editor for the game data, is there? Cause if there was I imagine a couple of WE fans would get together and hack the db so that you get real teams all round instead of that North London crap.

?

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #451
    It remains to be seen.

Damn why doesn't Konami and EA Sports just merge to create the BEST video game ever?
    Because Konami know that their foothold in the market is growing by the day, so they'd rather keep all the money to themselves :greedy:

It's good to see you finally opening up a bit to WE/PES. Of course there are flaws like the inferior league system, but with gameplay like that, you learn to look past it. Besides, it's easier to aquire licenses and fix up little issues like cameras etc, but fine-tuning gameplay to get it as realistic as WE/PES is a much more difficult, and I think Konami have the foundations to make a near-perfect football sim in the near future.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
    Oct 27, 2004
    I have played with Juventus, Inter, Roma, Milan, Barca, Real Madrid
    Sweden, Italy, Brazil, France, Holland, Argentina :) that's all teams I have played with ;) and of course my masterleague team :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Guys, I gotta question for you. The training module is very useful to learn the basics but one thing I don't get still is heading. Most of the time I cross the ball, the cross isn't any good anyway and my player loses the challenge or doesn't reach the ball. But when it's good and I get a header, it's usually too high, too soft, from too far away or just plain wide. How do you get proper headers?

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #455
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Guys, I gotta question for you. The training module is very useful to learn the basics but one thing I don't get still is heading. Most of the time I cross the ball, the cross isn't any good anyway and my player loses the challenge or doesn't reach the ball. But when it's good and I get a header, it's usually too high, too soft, from too far away or just plain wide. How do you get proper headers?
    I find that crosses work best for me when I hold L1 and double-tap cross. That way the cross is lower and harder, because as you said, most off-target headers fly over the bar.

Also, (this takes a lot of practice) you can change the position of your player by holding R2 and moving him away from the goal a little so he can get behind the ball a bit more instead of under it. Hope that makes sense.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I find that crosses work best for me when I hold L1 and double-tap cross. That way the cross is lower and harder, because as you said, most off-target headers fly over the bar.

Also, (this takes a lot of practice) you can change the position of your player by holding R2 and moving him away from the goal a little so he can get behind the ball a bit more instead of under it. Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks.

But that reminds me, the positions of the buttons on the keyboard are quite uncomfortable, there isn't a way to change that, is there?

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #457
    Thanks.

But that reminds me, the positions of the buttons on the keyboard are quite uncomfortable, there isn't a way to change that, is there?
    Get a gamepad. Seriously :)

Failing that, you could always run settings.exe in your PES directory, or in the game options, use the button configuration.

Seriously though, get a gamepad

btw what's with you suddenly playing PES? I like it :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    There's no way to change that in the settings, you can only read what key is which but no messing with it :(

Majed talked me into trying it and now I like it :D

Oh btw I'm a keyboard man :D

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #459
    Pfft, keyboard man :rolleyes: You can't do half of the moves in the game without a gamepad man.

btw, you can change the keys in the settings. You're clicking on the text, you have to click on the actual "button" ;)

i.e. click the little box saying "L2", not the greyed out text displaying which key it's bound to

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    With headers, Like in real life, you have to time it well. In other words, you have to wait till the ball is closer to your head before you hit it. Use also the direction keys to aim at where you want to place the ball. Either far post or near post matters. You'll get used to it. Oh, and while the ball is in the air, you may want to position your player better for the header.

I see that you DLed th game Martin :cool: .. Good to see that you're apart of it. :D WARNING THOUGH: You're going ti get hooked on it. :D

and about those options in the Master league. You are right. Now that i recall it, I do remember some options about "Match team" and all before i started. Didn't know what they were becasue WE7 never had it, so i just chose one randomly :totti: . That's good news for Andy.

About editing the db, there are some kits I believe to edit them just like in fifa. I used to do some editing myself with the fifa games on PC and patch them and play, but with WE on PS2, I just DL the patches and burn them on a CD and play with all the perfect teams, jersey's, shoes, stadiums, fans, flags, logos, and even chants. It's amazing to play with juve and listen to the fans chant: "Forza Juve... Forza Juve" or "Del Piero Ale..etc"
    I wish it was like that in real Juve games ;)

So, Look around for the editor. I'm sure there is one since it's a lot easier with the PC version i would guess. As for ready-made patches, their all over. I'll hook you up with a link once i sort out my bookmarks :D
    look for a patch called Wendetta or WEdoIT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)