Windows 98 help (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Ive got a problem with my windows 98. Last night I was deleting some stuff from my hard disk and obviously I deleted something I shouldnt have. Now when I try to turn on the computer I get the "Invalid system disk, replace and press any key" error, altho there is no disk in the floppy drive!!! I cant do anything, it just wont load!

Help... please :sigh:

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Try taking your HDD to a mate's place, hopefully (though unlikely) you'll be able to use it as a slave drive and backup your data. If you can do that, format your HDD on ur friend's comp, take it home and reinstall by booting from the CD

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
I've had quite a few 'puter problems lately, and reinstalling windows has worked great. More or less no data lost, and it's pretty quick.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Quick? Hardly. Reinstalling Windows takes an hour, restoring all my settings takes close to that and reinstalling all the software, don't even go there...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Exactly. I take a good 3-4 hours getting everything back in order, reinstalling all my programs etc :sleepy:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Or maybe my computer's customised beyond recognition, and i have a gazillion little tools and registry hacks that I have to apply. Every time anyone sees my computer, they always ask:

1. Is this Windows?
2. Where's the start button?
3. How did you get this/that on the screen?
4. Where are all the icons?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
:rofl:

In short: as I understand you're trying to liken your desktop to mine as much as you can, but without installing linux, right? ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
:rofl:

In short: as I understand you're trying to liken your desktop to mine as much as you can, but without installing linux, right? ;)
Interesting. Care to post screenshots gentlemen?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
This one i took a while ago, i've since seperated the quicklaunch and made it auto-hide along with my taskbar. I also realised that most of the live update stuff was just eye-candy and i removed it. I haven't got any windows open to show off because everything was just white in this particular setup

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
This one i took a while ago, i've since seperated the quicklaunch and made it auto-hide along with my taskbar. I also realised that most of the live update stuff was just eye-candy and i removed it. I haven't got any windows open to show off because everything was just white in this particular setup
I think Martin's hit the nail on the head here.

Still, imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism. :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I dunno, nothing that i've modified is really linux-specific, so i'd like to retain my identity for the time being ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Erm, you wanna zoom in that first one for those of us with non-Superman vision? Can't see any of the icons/text there.
Why not? It's a bit on the small side, but surely you can make it out?

He can't zoom out anyway Martin - he said it's an old shot. You could enlarge it every bit as well yourself!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)