Will Serie A be competitive? (8 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Juventus have strenghtened their squad with the additions of Mutu, Vieria, Kovacs and Giannichedda

Milan's problem last season was goal scoring and they have remedied that with the acqusitions of Vieri(him again ha ha) and Gilardino and they will definitely be stronger this season and have gotten Jankulowski

Inter have added Pizarro and Solari and might add Figo and Samuel before the season starts and who knows who else but it won't be Inter without a nonsensical signing, so they have added Wome as well. If they can convert their draws into victories, then they won't be the laughing stock they are now and they have kinda gotten the monkey off their back by at last winning a trophy, so i will not discount them at all

But after the big 3, I am afraid there is absolutely nothing to write home about

I think Udinese will struggle unless they go out early in Europe as they over achieved way too much last season and too many inportant personalities have left

Roma are neither coming or going and i cannot see the situation changing from last season even if Totti thinks they can win the league

Lazio sadly are going backwards

There will be a few shocks where some teams will win some matches against the so called big sides but unfortuantely i cannot see and competiton for the big 3 and thats not good

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Milan and Juve will be up there once more. I see Inter doing better than a distant third this time round though as they certainly have a good enough to squad to win the league. That's been the case before though so I'll need time to see how consistent this year's Inter will be.

Palermo have a pretty decent squad and are fairly capable but I don't think that the same can be said about Udinese anymore. Sampdoria could be up there, as could Fiorentina and Roma with a bit of luck.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Fear Fiorentina. They have been the most active in the market, and despite the fact that they haven't got players of the highest quality, they have a lot of depth!

K10

Jul 12, 2002
Is it me or is football just getting worse as time goes by.

I wish it were 1997 again. Good times.

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
Gilardino in a team like Milan will mean trouble, they will be the most difficult team at the fight on top of the table.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
Of course not... why would it suddenly be different to normal...
I concur. Which season has ever seen a more than three-horse title race? I for one don't recall anything of the sort. Every last couple of match rounds of every season sees a couple of decisions being made:

1. Which of the three top teams wins the Scudetto
2. Which of the sub-top teams gain the 4th CL berth
3. Which teams face relegation

It's always been like that. #4 hardly ever (if ever indeed) competes for the title.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Chxta ] ++
Fear Fiorentina. They have been the most active in the market, and despite the fact that they haven't got players of the highest quality, they have a lot of depth!
I honestly have no fear of Fiorentina. Or at least no more than last season. The reason? The club management is still making desperate, "rookie" (i.e., new again to Serie A) mistakes: trading away and letting go many of their best players from last season, with the experience they have with the club last season, and bringing in a whole new crop. Essentially starting from scratch all over again.

Fiorentina seems to have completely fallen into the trap that believes teams are just an improvised collection of the most talented players available. And after almost being demoted to Serie B last season with this formula, they've shown continued idiocy in re-trying the same formula with more transfers in the hopes that the results will somehow be different this time.

If I were wearing gloves, I would take them off and slap them across Delle Valle's face one time in each direction.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
But after the big 3, I am afraid there is absolutely nothing to write home about
The big three should all be capable of making it to the CL semifinals this season -- much like what happened three years ago.

But I agree about Udinese. They will fall out faster than Roma at last yea's CL. But I wouldn't count out Palermo and Sampdoria. They should be able to hold their own against any 4th place team in the Superliga or EPL. Roma's hands are tied, and Lazio is clearly struggling from here. Livorno might be my only pick for a positive surprise next season.

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

I concur. Which season has ever seen a more than three-horse title race? I for one don't recall anything of the sort. Every last couple of match rounds of every season sees a couple of decisions being made:

1. Which of the three top teams wins the Scudetto
2. Which of the sub-top teams gain the 4th CL berth
3. Which teams face relegation

It's always been like that. #4 hardly ever (if ever indeed) competes for the title.
do you remember the times when there used ti be lazio, roma parma fiorentina inter juvnetus milan all fighitng it out at the top i cleaerly remembner parma being 2nd and also fiorentina being half a season at the top of the serie A

Dec 27, 2003
The myth of the Seven Sisters was just that : a myth. Or rather a Machiavellian smoke screen designed by the new Serie A oligarchs and sold by the all too conniving media to the unaware tifosi in order to prevent them from noticing that the gap between the haves and the have-nots had turned into a rift, or actually into an abyss.

The peak of the (ex) most competitive league in the world stretched from 1982 to 1991. After that, le déluge.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Fiorentina has made a lot of changes over the summer and Prandelli is certainly a decent coach, however after starting over again La Viola will probably struggle with consistency again until the new sqaud is able to gel together.

Sampdoria had a great season last year, one in which IMO they deserved to take the final Champions League spot before the hopeless Udinese, however I doubt they will improve on the success of last season. If anything they will probably have some sort of a "sophomore slump" so to speak and with the central defensive partnership of Falcone-Castellini aging away, I can't help but think the goals will come rolling in this season, especially if Novellino makes any changes.

I have no clue what to expect with Palermo because I still consider Del Neri an unproven coach and apart from the usual suspects of the two Roman clubs I don't see any of the smaller clubs making waves in Serie A next season. Udinese will slip down greatly with CL play and it was a shame Messina went down due to financial difficulty because they were a decent club who caused us some trouble.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
INTER WILL WIN THE SCUDETTO !!!!!

only because Juve and Milan will be more focused on winning the Champions League

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Anything is possible with Inter. All it would have taken for them last season was to fix a good handful of all those draws of theirs...

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
Palermo and Sampdoria are the only ones that will be competitive this season with the three bigs.

Florentina, Udine and Lazio can have a good starting, but in the long run they will crash. And Roma will keep swiming in is own shitpool.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)