Will Buffon make a new record?? (3 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Gianluigi Buffon (28, Juventus FC) from Italy, who surprised the German players by his stunning performance in the semi-final in the 2006 FIFA World Cup, is close to winning not only the Yashin award, the most outstanding goalkeeper’s honor, but also the world record of playing without losing a point.

Advancing past Jens Lehmann, who is one of his rivals for the Yashin Award, he has blanked his opponents for 453 minutes since allowing a goal against the U.S. team in the second Group match. He is about to replace the 517-minute world record by Walter Zenga from Italy in the 1990 Italy World Cup if he continues allowing no goals for more than 65 minutes.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Well, at leasr we're gonna be able to say that, the record breaker used to be (still) a Juventino while beating it :agree:

So, Forza Forza Gigigigi!!!

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #5
    Buffon sets sights on main prize

Football is in chaos back home but Italy's players will not be diverted from their quest for World Cup glory.

That was the pledge by goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon after the Azzurri's magnificent performance saw them beat Germany with two goals late in extra-time to advance to the final.

"We are playing in the biggest world competition and the match-fixing scandal has never distracted us from our goal," said Buffon, whose club side Juventus is at the centre of a Serie A investigation which has shaken an entire nation.

Prosecutors on Tuesday called for Juve to be dropped into Serie C with an additional six-point deduction and also asked for Fiorentina, AC Milan and Lazio to be relegated.

"We expect the Juventus sentence," admitted Buffon, who in all probability will leave the Turin giants if they are severely punished.

There will be plenty of clubs interested in Buffon if he does go on the market, especially if he and Italy have another incredible performance in the title game.

Many would have expected the Italians to primarily defend and try to hit the Germans on the counter.

But Marcello Lippi's men attacked from the off and, much to the relief of Buffon, avoided a penalty shoot-out as Fabio Grosso and Alessandro Del Piero scored the late double.

"We are aware of the significance of this win but there is still one game left and if we win it, it would be even more amazing that what we are experiencing now," Buffon said.

"I think it was destiny. I think if we hadn't scored and the game had gone to penalties, we would have lost.

"To have waited until the 118th minute to score a goal means it could have gone the other way
    ."

Buffon did not want to experience the type of nerve-wracking penalty shoot-out which saw Juventus lose to AC Milan in the final of the Champions League in 2003.

"Forgive my selfishness, but I thought more about myself than about those who were on the pitch with me," Buffon said.

"We have given a brave performance, we have suffered but we haven't conceded much. We have played away from home and it wasn't easy."

The Italians were exhausted after their victory and could end up facing France, who beat them in the Euro 2000 final, or Portugal.

"We don't mind who we face next," Buffon said.

"I just hope whoever plays against us will be tired. The final surely cannot be as difficult as this game was tonight."

Soccer365

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Damn you Zaccardo!!

But its still impressive that 6 offences weren't able to score a single goal....

Here is the list of previous winners and goals conceded throughout the whole tourny. France in 1998 conceded only 2 while winning the cup. So if Italy pulls it off and wins via a clean sheet, it would be another record....so once again damn you zaccardo:fero:
    Uruguay 3 goals
    Italy 3 goals
    Italy 5 goals
    Uruguay 5 goals
    West Germany 14 goals
    Brazil 4 goals
    England 3 goals
    Brazil 7 goals
    West Germany 4 goals
    Argentina 4 goals
    Italy 6 goals
    Argentina 5 goals
    West Germany 5 goals
    Brazil 3 goals
    France 2 goals
    Brazil 4 goals

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ReBeL said:
    Gianluigi Buffon (28, Juventus FC) from Italy, who surprised the German players by his stunning performance in the semi-final in the 2006 FIFA World Cup, is close to winning not only the Yashin award, the most outstanding goalkeeper’s honor, but also the world record of playing without losing a point.

Advancing past Jens Lehmann, who is one of his rivals for the Yashin Award, he has blanked his opponents for 453 minutes since allowing a goal against the U.S. team in the second Group match. He is about to replace the 517-minute world record by Walter Zenga from Italy in the 1990 Italy World Cup if he continues allowing no goals for more than 65 minutes.
    Sheesh. It's not like Buffon is Robinson or anything. The Germans weren't that clueless. :rolleyes:

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    swag said:
    Sheesh. It's not like Buffon is Robinson or anything. The Germans weren't that clueless. :rolleyes:
    lol, yuo're right though. Not that he put up a "stunning" performance anyway. He only made one notable save

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Rami said:
    Damn you Zaccardo!!

But its still impressive that 6 offences weren't able to score a single goal....

Here is the list of previous winners and goals conceded throughout the whole tourny. France in 1998 conceded only 2 while winning the cup. So if Italy pulls it off and wins via a clean sheet, it would be another record....so once again damn you zaccardo:fero:
    I actually believe that Zaccardo's goal was good for Italy. Made them realize that their defense is not unpenetrable. Also, had they not conceded, I think the media would be taking a lot more about the "unbeatable defense," and I believe that this could disrupt the team psychologicaly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)