Will Buffon make a new record?? (4 Viewers)

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
DelpieroForLife said:
What about the other record of who jumps first out of the sinking ship?
I won't blame him, it's not neccecary that every Juve player should be a true Juventino in heart, Zizou did and the others also, and more to come, they still have my respect.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #23
    Buffon eyes Zenga's record

DUISBURG (AFP) - Gianluigi Buffon wants to win the World Cup by keeping another clean sheet in the final against France so that he can break the tournament record for not conceding a goal.

The 28-year-old Italy keeper has not been beaten since Cristian Zaccardo, his Azzurri team-mate, put through his own net in the 27th minute of the 1-1 draw with the United States in their second group stage match.

Since then, Buffon has gone 453 minutes without letting in a goal.

Walter Zenga, who played for Italy at the 1990 finals, holds the record for not conceding a goal in the competition, 517 minutes.

"Of course I'm interested in breaking the record, it would mean a lot," said Buffon at a press conference here on Thursday.

"But it's not just about personal satisfaction. If we don't concede another goal it will be down to the efforts of the whole team."

Zenga was unbeaten in all of the three group games against Austria, United States and Czechoslovakia.

His goal was unbreached in the second round game against Uruguay and then the quarter final against Ireland.

He was finally beaten in the 67th minute of the semi-final against Argentina when Claudio Caniggia headed past him.

Zenga surpassed the previous record held by former England keeper Peter Shilton, who went unbeaten for a total of 501 minutes spread over the 1982 and 1986 finals.

Buffon, whose club Juventus is at the centre of the Serie A match-fixing scandal, insisted his French counterpart, Fabien Barthez, was still an excellent keeper, despite some nervous moments in their semi-final win over Portugal.

"I honestly don't think he has made big mistakes at this World Cup," Buffon said.

"His strengths are that he always communicates with his team and distributes the ball well."

Buffon was named on Friday in FIFA's 23 man long list for their World Cup XI, which will be named on Monday, and faces competition from Germany's Jens Lehmann - a particular favourite of Buffon's - and Portugal's Ricardo.

But the Italy keeper insisted he was not the only one to shine between the posts.

"There have been lots of keepers that have made an impression on me here, but if I had to single out one it would be (Germany's) Jens Lehmann," he said.

"I hadn't seen much of him before the tournament, but he really has been outstanding.

"He has impressed me, not just because of his saves in the penalty shoot-out against Argentina (in the quarter-finals), but because of his reliability in general
    ."

AFP

Juve89

The Farmer
    May 27, 2004
    Gianluigi Buffooon!!1 The worlds best number one for sure!

Edit: I can guarantee that if Juve gets demoted, Buffon will run over to RM:disagree:

Juvette

Jul 8, 2006
    I really hope that he'll break the record, he has been really good this whole tournament, and it would be awful to let someone like Thierry Henry or Zidane ruin this..
    And yes, I think he'll stay in Juve, but I'll understand him if he leave..

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
    Would have been more perfect if he stopped one of the penalties tonight... he's not the best in shootouts... but he's the best in the world overall :D :cool: that save from zidane's header one of the best in WC history I believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)