Wikileaks (2 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #264
    By John Nova Lomax, Tue., Dec. 7 2010 @ 7:01AM

Another international conflict, another horrific taxpayer-funded sex scandal for DynCorp, the private security contractor tasked with training the Afghan police.

While the company is officially based in the DC area, most of its business is managed on a satellite campus at Alliance Airport north of Fort Worth. And if one of the diplomatic cables from the WikiLeaks archive is to be believed, boy howdy, are their doings in Afghanistan shady.

The Afghanistan cable (dated June 24, 2009) discusses a meeting between Afghan Interior Minister Hanif Atmar and US assistant ambassador Joseph Mussomeli. Prime among Atmar's concerns was a party partially thrown by DynCorp for Afghan police recruits in Kunduz Province.

Many of DynCorp's employees are ex-Green Berets and veterans of other elite units, and the company was commissioned by the US government to provide training for the Afghani police. According to most reports, over 95 percent of its $2 billion annual revenue comes from US taxpayers.

And in Kunduz province, according to the leaked cable, that money was flowing to drug dealers and pimps. Pimps of children, to be more precise. (The exact type of drug was never specified.)

Since this is Afghanistan, you probably already knew this wasn't a kegger. Instead, this DynCorp soiree was a bacha bazi ("boy-play") party, much like the ones uncovered earlier this year by Frontline.
    Fantastic! Supported by our government, too.

But this is a nothingburger considering we've known this for a while.

Bring us some dirt on BAC or JPM, and help seal their death.

Brandmon

Juventuz irregular
    Aug 13, 2008
    U.S. to host World Press Freedom Day

"At the same time, we are concerned about the determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to restrict the free flow of information."

No, this is not The Onion :sergio:
    The irony :lol:

The US never seems to learn.

They supported dictators in the Third World for the sake of "national interests" and then wonder why there are so many of them and end up later on spending billions towards "helping such countries" (yet most of the money ends up feeding the existing corruption there).

They supported Islamic Extremists just because they fought against communists and need I remind you all the result of that?

Now they keep going like this, and the people that didn't see it coming would go all "Where did our freedoms go?" in the distant future.

This sums up the wikileaks situation pretty well:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...scure-what-wikileaks-has-told-us-2154109.html

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    The irony :lol:

The US never seems to learn.

They supported dictators in the Third World for the sake of "national interests" and then wonder why there are so many of them and end up later on spending billions towards "helping such countries" (yet most of the money ends up feeding the existing corruption there).

They supported Islamic Extremists just because they fought against communists and need I remind you all the result of that?

Now they keep going like this, and the people that didn't see it coming would go all "Where did our freedoms go?" in the distant future.

This sums up the wikileaks situation pretty well:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...scure-what-wikileaks-has-told-us-2154109.html
    I'm not entirely sure I follow the irony, though. If the press were truly owned by the government here (and not corporate interests), then I'd say you'd make a great point. But as it is, the press is still called the fourth estate here for a reason -- they're not always the ones supporting Islamic extremists, Third World dictators, etc.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I can't believe how Wikileak is systematically being bullied by everyone. How convenient that everyone is shutting down their accounts, freezing their assets, arresting Assange; denying him bail, talks of extraditing not only to Sweden but to the US. It's as if he's guilty already but they don't know of which crime -- but he's guilty.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I can't believe how Wikileak is systematically being bullied by everyone. How convenient that everyone is shutting down their accounts, freezing their assets, arresting Assange; denying him bail, talks of extraditing not only to Sweden but to the US. It's as if he's guilty already but they don't know of which crime -- but he's guilty.
    There is a question of legality in distributing the information, however. Agree with their actions or not.

For example, how would you react should someone publish a Web site with all your credit card numbers, family members and their phone numbers, former professor and employer names and numbers, former residences, bank balances, past sexual partners, etc.?

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    There is a question of legality in distributing the information, however. Agree with their actions or not.

For example, how would you react should someone publish a Web site with all your credit card numbers, family members and their phone numbers, former professor and employer names and numbers, former residences, bank balances, past sexual partners, etc.?
    I'm not too interested in the details of the delicacy of the situation. All these governments and organizations exposed by Wikileaks are a bunch of hypocrites. A round of spanking is in order. Don't get me wrong, I see Wikileaks nothing more than a fitna (someone that likes to cause chaos) but I can't look the other way on what they've exposed.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005

Not exactly the case, is it? Respect to private life does not necessarily conflict with government transparency. Perhaps if you are Bill Clinton or Dick Cheney, but not when it comes to your average citizen.

Many of the leaks concern high profile issues and politicians in their role as professionals. Not about what goes on in their bedroom or with their family. That is why these documents are of interest to the public.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    I don't see anything strange about that. Everything was pretty much expected.

What we're seeing is something that's happening for the first time, exposing some many information like this. All this hurts US the most and they are doing everything in their power to stop it or just avoid it. All this happened long time ago when some soldier took some top secret papers but it he couldn't bring it to the public since it was a low technology level and no Internet available, but now it's a different story. It's hurting the US interest, other nations will look at the differently after all this, even if they are still powerful. Hillary Clinton is aware of that, as she's taking medications for stress from what I've heard.

I'm not too interested in the details of the delicacy of the situation. All these governments and organizations exposed by Wikileaks are a bunch of hypocrites. A round of spanking is in order. Don't get me wrong, I see Wikileaks nothing more than a fitna (someone that likes to cause chaos) but I can't look the other way on what they've exposed.
    Why do you say that?

They are doing everything to fight... well, against crime. It might be illegal at some point, but it's the only way cause what they are fighting is a huge deal and not just a bunch of people, but many nations.

And like I said before, there might be their interest in it. What they are holding in their hands are valuable information and they could easily drain the pockets of some countries. But I don't think that's the only thing they want to do, though.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    That would be a long list. Ze has been touring the Middle East as a sex tourist.
    :lol:

Martin, like a parked car in SF without an emergency brake, you are on a roll.

Not exactly the case, is it? Respect to private life does not necessarily conflict with government transparency. Perhaps if you are Bill Clinton or Dick Cheney, but not when it comes to your average citizen.

Many of the leaks concern high profile issues and politicians in their role as professionals. Not about what goes on in their bedroom or with their family. That is why these documents are of interest to the public.
    But you seem to be loosely basing this difference on the notion that government transparency must be absolute. If that's the case, the name of every anti-terrorist operative would be public domain and they would all be killed in a heartbeat with their covers compromised.

My point of using personal data with Zé T was to show that not everything needs to be, nor should be, public knowledge. And the rules for violating that may not be concrete, but they do cross a sense of legality by any nature of the word.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Becuase of Wikileaks stuff, they are more considering to censor internet.
    Wow, how can that happened
    I was just thinking about that. This wikileaks will probably lead to us having a more restricted access to the internet in the future. I'm quite the pessimist in these situations and in my opinion nothing good will come out of this. Yes, we will see their dirty loundry and have our party with it for a year or two, but after we will just get less freedoms, more secretecy, tighter securities and hell knows what other stuff they will think of.

People will not revolt, nothing will be done in the end. Maybe it is amusing now, but won't be in years to come...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)