Why not Eriksson instead of Ranieri? (1 Viewer)

Batigol

Mar 5, 2006
I was surprised when we oppointed ranieri as our coach, I don't know why we opted for him instead of going for Eriksson. This is what Eriksson have done through out his career:
• 1979-82: IFK Gothenburg
o Swedish Cup Winners 1979
o Swedish Cup Winners 1982
o Swedish League Champions 1981
o Swedish League Champions 1982
o UEFA Cup Winners 1982

• 1982-84: SL Benfica
o Portuguese League Champions 1983
o Portuguese League Champions 1984
o Portuguese Cup Winners 1983

• 1984-87: AS Roma
o Italian Cup Winners 1986

• 1987-89: AC Fiorentina

• 1989-92: SL Benfica
o European Cup Runners Up 1990
o Portuguese League Champions 1991

• 1992-97: Sampdoria UC
o Italian Cup Winners 1994

• 1997-2000: SS Lazio
o Italian Cup Winners 1998
o Italian Cup Winners 2000
o Italian Super Cup Winners 1998
o UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999
o UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999
o Italian League Champions 2000
On the other hand Ranieri has nothing under his belt but the Spanish cup. So how come we didn't go for Eriksson?

Buy on AliExpress.com

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
The coach doesn't have to achieve anything before joining us. He will have more anthusiasm and ambition when he has no championships under his belt.

Adzke

May 19, 2007
Because Eriksson is a no-good money loving Swede with nothing but administrative women on his mind. His results with the English NT aren't impressive, and to me it seems that the timed has gotten away from him. He is yesterdays news.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
After years of league officials bending over for Moggi, I guess the board didn't like the prospect of catching the coach with his pants down at inopportune moments. :p

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Eriksson's estranged wife & family still live in Roma? He admits to loving the Italian lifestyle. Do you suppose his family getting too close a view of his "carnal calisthenics" is something to do with his not pushing too hard for a management post in Italy?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
For one thing, Eriksson's reputation has tanked completely and he hasn't won anything since 2000. It's true he's merited but his accomplishments go back to the 80s and 90s.

Just like Trapattoni is probably the most merited candidate for the job beside Lippi and Capello, but how many people would actually want him?

Mali

Aug 24, 2006
i think bod appoint ranieri because the players accept him. It's for the harmony of the team. I remember that before ranieri is appointed, Gigi has already stated that he is a good choice.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You can also interpret the title as he is demanding a quick answer. Have you looked at it this way?
Actually, the title of this thread is horrendously ambiguous.

"Quick question"??

I'm changing to a more accurate subject line.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Andy asked me to post this:

"I don't know why people are so hard on Eriksson. He led Lazio to a Scudetto when they had an inferior defense to the rest of the contending lot, and he really showed Lazio how to play possession football with Veron at the helm despite the straight 4-4-2. Nobody can succeed with England, everybody knows that, so don't be so hard on him. England will not win a World Cup until they have the events in London because they're an inferior footballing nation. Don't take it out on Sven because the country has the choking syndrome."

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Ericsson would demand big wages, big transfers, big scandals and media attention
and he has proved that he is not "on form" lately as a coach and has limited knowledge of modern Italian football.
Personally i was never really impressed by Sven, he has only won tittles while having the best squad at his disposal,i m not impressed by that fact, i think he is very overrated.
Esp when considering his time in Lazio, at first season they finished 7th,
then eventually Lazio was raising in power only because of their president's influence and economical power.
When they won the title, Lazio's midfield could have won the title by her own (Nesta,Couto and Mihailovic and Peruzzi cannot be considered a weak defense Andy) Stankovic,Veron(then), Mancini and Nedved were the strongest squad at the moment while we were not as competitive as we should, i can say we and the other competitive Milano based FCs, allowed them to win then, despite them having the best team.
The only period when Sven was really impressive was at his Benfica spell,
older friends (i was about 2 years old then) that have kept a close eye at this league then, told me that his assistants and Benfica's did all the selective work, on picking up the right players and exploited competition's weaknesses,
nothing impressive at all.
His failure at England NT was certain despite having one of the best material in the world, Eriksson just proved he is the very definition of overrated coach!

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
So, let me ask you a question here Mr. Cronios. What do you say about his success with IFK Göteborg both in Sweden and in Europe? We all know the world class players that the team has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)