Why are you ******* closing all the Threads? (13 Viewers)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Why? Whats wrong with them? At least the American Juve Thread had some good discussions going. :groan:

Go ahead, why not close this one as well, why don't ya?
Because they're a waste of space, obviously. if people are coming on here to discuss "thai Juve" or "american juve" or "south atlantic but not barbados juve" rather than Juventus as a club then something is wrong. I frankly couldn't give a damn what discussions were going on in there, the threads are a waste of space. Ever since the hangout was introduced we've seen an influx of new members whose sole purpose is to gossip and make the mods life a hell of a lot tougher on here. Well thankfully that will be changing in the fairly near future, touch wood.

If you want to start a thread discussing the American elections then do it, nobody is stopping you but these exclusive "club" threads for people from certain countries are going against the purpose of this forum, to bring people together, first and foremost to discuss the club that we apparently all love.

Sep 28, 2002
i understand why those national threads and non juve related transfer/rumour threads are closed and i agree that this happens for a good reason. but why threads "friendship between boys and girls" etc. allowed? they do not waste space?

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Well Fli I don't really know where I stand on that one. You have the hangout forum which in my opinion is a complete waste of time in itself. If threads like the one you mentioned were closed then the entire hangout would have just about nothing left open. If people want to start discussions in here that at least spark debate and are within my interpretation of the forum rules then its fine by me.

I can't say I have a great deal of interest in that thread but hey at least its original

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
We all know why we love this place. Personally I love it coz of the organisation & ease of use. IMO I think the mods here are doing a great job. Every once in a while there is a tremendous urge by people to open threads all over the place & if a mod closes them you feel personally afflicted. Some of the '----- Juve' threads were never closed because of people have different languages & some of them are not quite good in english. I think it defeats the purpose when there is no language barrier to open such threads.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Exactly Ali. If people can speak English, which as far as I know everyone on here can, to a degree, then threads where you can speak in other languages have no real significance.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #49
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

Because they're a waste of space, obviously. if people are coming on here to discuss "thai Juve" or "american juve" or "south atlantic but not barbados juve" rather than Juventus as a club then something is wrong. I frankly couldn't give a damn what discussions were going on in there, the threads are a waste of space. Ever since the hangout was introduced we've seen an influx of new members whose sole purpose is to gossip and make the mods life a hell of a lot tougher on here. Well thankfully that will be changing in the fairly near future, touch wood.

If you want to start a thread discussing the American elections then do it, nobody is stopping you but these exclusive "club" threads for people from certain countries are going against the purpose of this forum, to bring people together, first and foremost to discuss the club that we apparently all love.
    Well then maybe I should change the name of the Thread to "American Topic" or something like that. Would that ease your suffering? :D

River

Jun 15, 2004
    Well Fli I don't really know where I stand on that one. You have the hangout forum which in my opinion is a complete waste of time in itself. If threads like the one you mentioned were closed then the entire hangout would have just about nothing left open. If people want to start discussions in here that at least spark debate and are within my interpretation of the forum rules then its fine by me.

I can't say I have a great deal of interest in that thread but hey at least its original
    Why are you so bothered by hangout threads? I can understand you might be annoyed by having to close them etc, but surely you could not moderate that forum if its such a deal for you.

Do you really think having no hangout and only having this forum for juventus talk would be a good thing? Also those members that only post something that you deem this forum would be better of without, dont you think thats alittle self centered? Dont you also realise that the success of this forum is 100% dependent on the members? Do you think it would be a great forum if 20 people talking about nothing but juve, with no personal relationships being developed etc. This is a community, when you talk to people in real life dont you talk atleast 50% crap? People dont always want to discuss important things.

Well thankfully that will be changing in the fairly near future, touch wood.
    That will be interesting. Be careful not to kill something striving for perfection.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    Why are you so bothered by hangout threads? I can understand you might be annoyed by having to close them etc, but surely you could not moderate that forum if its such a deal for you.

Do you really think having no hangout and only having this forum for juventus talk would be a good thing? Also those members that only post something that you deem this forum would be better of without, dont you think thats alittle self centered? Dont you also realise that the success of this forum is 100% dependent on the members? Do you think it would be a great forum if 20 people talking about nothing but juve, with no personal relationships being developed etc. This is a community, when you talk to people in real life dont you talk atleast 50% crap? People dont always want to discuss important things.
    Its nothing especially 'personal' against the hangout forum, its more that I have a problem with pointless gossip threads. Its really not possible for me to ignore the hangout, as a mod you have a duty to look at all threads, root out any problems with language or any sort of discrimination etc. If I ingore it I'm not doing my job, put simply.

Now your second point you misunderstand where I am coming from. I am all for off-topic threads so long as they are a base for intelligent discussion, otherwise they have no place here, probably 95% of the people on here own msn messenger so gossiping should, in my opoinion be confined to places like that. Its not self centred, its nothing to with me, but the good of the forum. Why you think I speak for only myself I don't know but I assure you its not the case!

Yeah obviously the forum depends on its members, but you also have to remember that we have several groups of members, those who want to just gossip, those who want to discuss football only, those who want to talk off topic as well, etc... you can't keep everyone happy, so you go on the one thing that we all supposedly have in common - Juventus football club, and re-align the forum to make that the single most important part of its makeup. We're going to still have some off topic threads, but cut out the crap and focus more on what we should be!

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #53
    Well then Tom, could you change the name of the American Juve thread for us? To make it sound like more of a "worthy" thread in the "Hangout"? It could be renamed "American Discussion" or something like that. That would be great. :)

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    Oh come on. How long have those Spanish and Arabic threads gone on for? And talk about exclusive, those are in a different language. I couldn't even read or participate in them if I wanted to. Those threads have gone on for years now without any problems until those of us from this forum who are from the US want to discuss things and all of a sudden its a big deal. I don't see what the problem is. Sure this is a Juve forum, but there is and has always been a ton of off topic discussion. Not all of this interests everyone, as Martin himself even pointed out in one of his Linux threads. So people from one region aren't allowed to talk about things common to them but other off topic discussions that aren't relevant to everyone are allowed? Makes no sense to me. Either make everything on the forum Juve/football realted or allow threads like American Juve. Pick one or the other, you can't have it both ways.

I must say all of these splitting/closing threads are a bit ridiculous. I know it is necessary sometimes but it seems to me that people are using powers they have just because they can. I know Martin is thrilled about politcal discussion and didn't used to allow it at all so why can't you just warn those engaged in the discussion that it isn't merited, rather then just closing the entire thread simply to show off your power? We were discussing things besides politics in that thread and while they may not be groundbreaking intelligent discussions, its no different then the drivel in hundreds of other threads.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men. (unknown author)

:p

The first sentence was made by a British politician by the name of Lord Acton. Don't know about the bad men part though

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

That will be interesting. Be careful not to kill something striving for perfection.

:howler:

You should have been here a few months ago ;)

River

Jun 15, 2004

Its nothing especially 'personal' against the hangout forum, its more that I have a problem with pointless gossip threads. Its really not possible for me to ignore the hangout, as a mod you have a duty to look at all threads, root out any problems with language or any sort of discrimination etc. If I ingore it I'm not doing my job, put simply.

Now your second point you misunderstand where I am coming from. I am all for off-topic threads so long as they are a base for intelligent discussion, otherwise they have no place here, probably 95% of the people on here own msn messenger so gossiping should, in my opoinion be confined to places like that. Its not self centred, its nothing to with me, but the good of the forum. Why you think I speak for only myself I don't know but I assure you its not the case!

Yeah obviously the forum depends on its members, but you also have to remember that we have several groups of members, those who want to just gossip, those who want to discuss football only, those who want to talk off topic as well, etc... you can't keep everyone happy, so you go on the one thing that we all supposedly have in common - Juventus football club, and re-align the forum to make that the single most important part of its makeup. We're going to still have some off topic threads, but cut out the crap and focus more on what we should be!
    I didnt mean other language threads or the general chat threads, but there are plenty of worthy threads in the hangout. And actually I thought you were ranting about everything that wasnt related to juve.

And BigIzz has a point.

:howler:

You should have been here a few months ago
    Interesting that you find that laughable when you post of topic as much as anyone. Whats up with that :confused:

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    I wish the moderators would remember that the whole purpose of moderators is to facilitate discussion, not to stop it. As long as a thread or discussion is within the rules of the website, what right does a moderator have to close it? So next time a thread is closed, it would be nice if the specific rule is broke was listed. I'm still wondering what rule the American Juve thread broke. I do realize that some posts in American Juve were in violation of rule 7, but not all of them. Of course this rule hasn't really been enforced since I've been back here anyway. The mods could have gotten rid of the offending posts or made it clear that the political discussions weren't warranted rather then closing the whole damn thing.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #59
    ++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
    I wish the moderators would remember that the whole purpose of moderators is to facilitate discussion, not to stop it. As long as a thread or discussion is within the rules of the website, what right does a moderator have to close it? So next time a thread is closed, it would be nice if the specific rule is broke was listed. I'm still wondering what rule the American Juve thread broke. I do realize that some posts in American Juve were in violation of rule 7, but not all of them. Of course this rule hasn't really been enforced since I've been back here anyway. The mods could have gotten rid of the offending posts or made it clear that the political discussions weren't warranted rather then closing the whole damn thing.
    Can somebody inform me what Rule 7 is? And what is wrong with political discussions in the first place? Do they offend anyone? Are they a good topic for discussion? Yes.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
    Oh come on. How long have those Spanish and Arabic threads gone on for? And talk about exclusive, those are in a different language. I couldn't even read or participate in them if I wanted to. Those threads have gone on for years now without any problems until those of us from this forum who are from the US want to discuss things and all of a sudden its a big deal. I don't see what the problem is. Sure this is a Juve forum, but there is and has always been a ton of off topic discussion. Not all of this interests everyone, as Martin himself even pointed out in one of his Linux threads. So people from one region aren't allowed to talk about things common to them but other off topic discussions that aren't relevant to everyone are allowed? Makes no sense to me. Either make everything on the forum Juve/football realted or allow threads like American Juve. Pick one or the other, you can't have it both ways.

I must say all of these splitting/closing threads are a bit ridiculous. I know it is necessary sometimes but it seems to me that people are using powers they have just because they can. I know Martin is thrilled about politcal discussion and didn't used to allow it at all so why can't you just warn those engaged in the discussion that it isn't merited, rather then just closing the entire thread simply to show off your power? We were discussing things besides politics in that thread and while they may not be groundbreaking intelligent discussions, its no different then the drivel in hundreds of other threads.
    I certainly appreciate feedback like this BigIzz, and it's good for the forum. But in respond to this and mostly other, more negative and less usefull criticism that it is not always as easy as you think moderating the forum. Surveys done by me show that people tend to view forum issues mostly from their own POV, something moderators can't do. Some people feel that we close too many threads and intervene too much, while a lot other people have recently complained about the forum being too messy, feel that we should do more of an effort cleaning it up. Recently many complained that moderators "didn't care", while the same people got pissed when we closed their threads or tried to uphold the forum rules.

I can't really see that we're closing too many threads. 80-90% of the threads we close are duplicates, I can't see what good they do. About the Arabic/Spanish threads, I'll just say that we have discussed those threads. Of course we're trying to be consistent, why would we not? It just isn't always that easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)