Why are you ******* closing all the Threads? (1 Viewer)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Can somebody inform me what Rule 7 is? And what is wrong with political discussions in the first place? Do they offend anyone? Are they a good topic for discussion? Yes.
I don't know if your "yes" reply was to both of your questions, but yes, political discussion often offends someone. It's just like that. I'm for political discussion as I find it very entertaining, but politics is a very sensitive issue.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #62
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

I don't know if your "yes" reply was to both of your questions, but yes, political discussion often offends someone. It's just like that. I'm for political discussion as I find it very entertaining, but politics is a very sensitive issue.
    No, the "yes" was for the last question, not both. I don't really find political discussions offensive, and I can't see why it would be if conducted in a sensitive fashion. But thats just me I guess. :undecide:

And what is Rule 7 for the record?

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    No, the "yes" was for the last question, not both. I don't really find political discussions offensive, and I can't see why it would be if conducted in a sensitive fashion. But thats just me I guess. :undecide:

And what is Rule 7 for the record?
    Come on, rule number 7. Just click on "Rules" at the top of the page and scroll to number 7.

Of course, of the political discussion is conducted in sensitive fashion it's ok. But if everything was discussed in sensitive fashion we probably wouldn't need moderators.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #64

Come on, rule number 7. Just click on "Rules" at the top of the page and scroll to number 7.

Of course, of the political discussion is conducted in sensitive fashion it's ok. But if everything was discussed in sensitive fashion we probably wouldn't need moderators.
    I'm too lazy to look it up. :D

Hmmmm, life without moderators. We'd be in heaven. :D

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #65
    Oh yeah, rule number 7. Funny how pretty much the whole rule is not followed, even the part about malicious speech toward Juve players and staff. :groan:

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Hmmmm, life without moderators. We'd be in heaven. :D
    I notice the smilie and all, but I've been to some unmoderated forums (or pretty close) and it's not much fun.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

Interesting that you find that laughable when you post of topic as much as anyone. Whats up with that :confused:

It's not about that. It's just that a few months ago we had a heated discussion (or a series of discussions I should say) on the subject and I made a lot of points that were same as yours.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #68

I notice the smilie and all, but I've been to some unmoderated forums (or pretty close) and it's not much fun.
    Yeah man, I was only joking. You guys DO serve some purpose. :)

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002

I certainly appreciate feedback like this BigIzz, and it's good for the forum. But in respond to this and mostly other, more negative and less usefull criticism that it is not always as easy as you think moderating the forum. Surveys done by me show that people tend to view forum issues mostly from their own POV, something moderators can't do. Some people feel that we close too many threads and intervene too much, while a lot other people have recently complained about the forum being too messy, feel that we should do more of an effort cleaning it up. Recently many complained that moderators "didn't care", while the same people got pissed when we closed their threads or tried to uphold the forum rules.

I can't really see that we're closing too many threads. 80-90% of the threads we close are duplicates, I can't see what good they do. About the Arabic/Spanish threads, I'll just say that we have discussed those threads. Of course we're trying to be consistent, why would we not? It just isn't always that easy.
    Thank you for your courteous and well thought out response, you have always been very honorable Torkel. I agree 100% that moderating isn't easy, I can appreciate that. Most of the moderators here, espically the old ones but many of the new ones, have done an excellent job. I'm not saying anyone doesn't care, I'm sure all of the mods do or else why would they do it?

It just seems to me that some of the moderators are using their powers simply because they can. Maybe they feel the need to assert their power or whatever. I don't know. But a lot of this thread splitting and closing seems to be because they can do it, not because they should. We can see the blue balls under someones name and know they are a mod, they don't need to go closing a bunch of threads to prove it. I'm not going to be specific because I don't really have anyone specific in mind. You say that the language threads have been discussed (even though the first rule pretty much says that all discussions are to be held in English, granted it is worded in a way to provide some leeway), but was closing the American Juve thread discussed at all? Or did whatever mod (I can't say I even know who) that closed it simply do it on their own accord? And do they really have the power to do that? Yes they may physically have the power, but shouldn't closing of threads like that be left up to the manager, assistant manager and president?

I've never been one to cause a problem and I certianly appercaite all of the staffs efforts. All I ask is that the rules be applied unifromly and I think it is pretty clear that certian staff members haven't been doing that.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    some mods do an excellent job.. there are some threads that are duplicates of an already opened threads.. therefore they are closed.. though I hate this splitting thing going around..

some language thread may not deserve to stay open.. but, they do serve a purpose.. specially if there is a great amount of members who do speak that language..

take the "Arabic thread" for instance.. we do discuss juve there and also we discuss other arab footbal leagues that doesn't interest anyone else.. to go offtopic there and discuss something not related to football is unavoidable.. it's a meeting place for arab speaking people.. no harm in that.. and everybody else is welcome to join us there and see for himself..

River

Jun 15, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

It's not about that. It's just that a few months ago we had a heated discussion (or a series of discussions I should say) on the subject and I made a lot of points that were same as yours.
    Ah ok :)

We think alike alot of the time.

Im thinking we should get naked and start the revolution, any similar thoughts? :D

River

Jun 15, 2004
    You couldnt afford me though. No dignity is the only way :D

And come on Zee, you know I dont hit on people. I just take what i want :D :strong:

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    You couldnt afford me though. No dignity is the only way :D

And come on Zee, you know I dont hit on people. I just take what i want :D :strong:

I am honoured that you want me ;)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
    Thank you for your courteous and well thought out response, you have always been very honorable Torkel. I agree 100% that moderating isn't easy, I can appreciate that. Most of the moderators here, espically the old ones but many of the new ones, have done an excellent job. I'm not saying anyone doesn't care, I'm sure all of the mods do or else why would they do it?

It just seems to me that some of the moderators are using their powers simply because they can. Maybe they feel the need to assert their power or whatever. I don't know. But a lot of this thread splitting and closing seems to be because they can do it, not because they should. We can see the blue balls under someones name and know they are a mod, they don't need to go closing a bunch of threads to prove it. I'm not going to be specific because I don't really have anyone specific in mind. You say that the language threads have been discussed (even though the first rule pretty much says that all discussions are to be held in English, granted it is worded in a way to provide some leeway), but was closing the American Juve thread discussed at all? Or did whatever mod (I can't say I even know who) that closed it simply do it on their own accord? And do they really have the power to do that? Yes they may physically have the power, but shouldn't closing of threads like that be left up to the manager, assistant manager and president?

I've never been one to cause a problem and I certianly appercaite all of the staffs efforts. All I ask is that the rules be applied unifromly and I think it is pretty clear that certian staff members haven't been doing that.
    I certainly know that you're not one to cause problems Matt, you're an excellent poster, except for that little holiday. ;)

Splitting threads is rarely the best way to do things, and we've decided not too do that very much anymore. I don't think any of the mods are asserting their power, don't know what to say to that really. But regarding the American Juve thread, the important thing there IMO isn't who or how it was closed, but that you guys wanted it back so it was opened up again. No biggie was it.

As for the language threads, they're sensitive threads. Some people have lots of post in them and like them a lot, but if they are just chat threads in other languages it's not good. But if culture, countries and the language itself is being discussed while members are honing their foreign language skills it's great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)