Where are you on Dawkins Scale? (1 Viewer)

Where are you on Dawkins Scale?

• 1-Strong theist. 100% possibility of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know"

• 2-Very high probability 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God

• 3-Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism

• 4-Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic.

• 5-Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism.

• 6-Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist.

• 7-Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
*aca*

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #62
    If you're not a Juve fan then what are you doing here? The talk about God alone drew you back? :D
    :D

Me and Juventuz go way back when i followed football much more than i do now. Put it this way, i used to come here because i have some friends here :) and ...well basically to mock when Lazio plays juve and loses (and i did it in most respectful way :stuckup: ;):D martin will vouch for this) It has something to do with animal rights :D

Listen, you didn't have to take my example literally. My whole point was that there is a difference in what you expect and what you have faith in. You can't honestly say that you never have to 'have faith' in something.

If you lend someone money you have faith in that he/she will return it otherwise you're a fool for lending out. You have faith in that if you mess up that your parents will bail you out of trouble because they love you.
    That's exactly my point. I would loan money to the friend (and did so few times) because i know the guy, we've been through things together and bla bla bla. My family will bail me out because we are a family, we've been through stuff together and so on.... My past experience with my friend & my family is my evidence. I could still be betrayed by my friend or my family could turn their back on me. But, unless is screwed them up before and they have reasons to think that i am unreliable, they will be there for me and wont betray my trust. It is a faith, but on solid grounds. [/quote]

Find the time, you know the place :D
    sorry man, i'm just too tired or i had too many glasses of wine. I lost you here :oops:

Jun 13, 2007

Me and Juventuz go way back when i followed football much more than i do now. Put it this way, i used to come here because i have some friends here :) and ...well basically to mock when Lazio plays juve and loses (and i did it in most respectful way :stuckup: ;):D martin will vouch for this) It has something to do with animal rights :D

That's exactly my point. I would loan money to the friend (and did so few times) because i know the guy, we've been through things together and bla bla bla. My family will bail me out because we are a family, we've been through stuff together and so on.... My past experience with my friend & my family is my evidence. I could still be betrayed by my friend or my family could turn their back on me. But, unless is screwed them up before and they have reasons to think that i am unreliable, they will be there for me and wont betray my trust. It is a faith, but on solid grounds.

Don't reply to me now. Do it tommorow or whenever you feel like it.

Juve is going through a very bad period of time. Our management is amateur at best, our coach is a joke, and our team are not up to it. Yet with all this, we have faith that things will get better. We have to reason to have this faith yet we have it. It's the same with god.

sorry man, i'm just too tired or i had too many glasses of wine. I lost you here :oops:[/QUOTE]

OP
    *aca*

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #66
    So why did you give us examples of intelligent people who are atheists when intelligence has no relevance in ascernating facts?
    It was related to a statement that there are artists more intelligent than scientists.

If the method is followed, intelligence makes no difference.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004

Ahh...a Laziale. I have a soft spot of Lazio...shhh :p

That's exactly my point. I would loan money to the friend (and did so few times) because i know the guy, we've been through things together and bla bla bla. My family will bail me out because we are a family, we've been through stuff together and so on.... My past experience with my friend & my family is my evidence. I could still be betrayed by my friend or my family could turn their back on me. But, unless is screwed them up before and they have reasons to think that i am unreliable, they will be there for me and wont betray my trust. It is a faith, but on solid grounds.
    Exactly. Our faith is solidified by what we see as 'evidence' of his existence and by our prayers being answered.

sorry man, i'm just too tired or i had too many glasses of wine. I lost you here :oops:
    You said that the 'free will' argument is an argument in of itself and that you'd argue it at another time.

Jun 13, 2007
    It was related to a statement that there are artists more intelligent than scientists.

If the method is followed, intelligence makes no difference.
    You gave the example of Newton. Newton had a scientific mind, hence, a factual mind yet he was still wrong about many things.

Why should the scientists you mentioned be any difference. They could think accordingly to facts, this doesn't mean they are right; like newton, they could be very wrong.

OP
    *aca*

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #69
    Juve is going through a very bad period of time. Our management is amateur at best, our coach is a joke, and our team are not up to it. Yet with all this, we have faith that things will get better. We have to reason to have this faith yet we have it. It's the same with god.
    because your past experience with Juve is on solid grounds (well, solid Moggi style, but that's not for religion forum :D)

Juve's success is tangible thing. god is not ;)

Jun 13, 2007
    because your past experience with Juve is on solid grounds (well, solid Moggi style, but that's not for religion forum :D)

Juve's success is tangible thing. god is not ;)
    what about those Reggina fans that have faith in their team. Their team has always been shit, have no promise of being amongst the best, yet they still have faith.

OP
    *aca*

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #71
    Ahh...a Laziale. I have a soft spot of Lazio...shhh :p
    :cool:

Exactly. Our faith is solidified by what we see as 'evidence' of his existence and by our prayers being answered.
    well, think of it this way. How many prayers get answered (percentage wise) and how many of the wishes would come true or not if god was not there to answer prayers.

I'll tell you that the percentage would be the same ;)

You said that the 'free will' argument is an argument in of itself and that you'd argue it at another time.
    :doh:

I am tired

I'll open a thread eventually, if someone else doesnt do it first, although i would prefer the problem of evil first.

OP
    *aca*

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #72
    You gave the example of Newton. Newton had a scientific mind, hence, a factual mind yet he was still wrong about many things.

Why should the scientists you mentioned be any difference. They could think accordingly to facts, this doesn't mean they are right; like newton, they could be very wrong.

Newton believed in alchemy. Newton was a strong believer, theist through & through.

yes. But scientists are rarely completely wrong. Even bronze age goat herders were right - to a certain extent. The earth was flat - up to 4 miles or so. Newton was right - based on the facts he knew (his theories do not apply entirely when high speed & great distance is in question but work perfectly in the universe known to him). Eisenstein improved Newton's theories, but in a minute scale his theories dont work - hence quantum physics.

Absolutes do not exist. We always have (at the best) the most plausible explanation.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    :cool:

well, think of it this way. How many prayers get answered (percentage wise) and how many of the wishes would come true or not if god was not there to answer prayers.

I'll tell you that the percentage would be the same ;)
    Have you ever played American Football? There's a saying in football when the quarterback throws the ball straight up without any thought and it's "he threw up a prayer". Meaning he's just hoping someone will catch it. Statistically speaking there is a 50-50 chance that it'll be caught.

Actual prayer works the same way. You don't know whether it'll be answered or if it should be answered for that matter. Maybe what you're praying for might have a negative side-effect in the future.

To answer your last question: If I am to believe that God isn't there then why would I pray? It defeats the point.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    #1, but I went through enough religious debates in my time here to last several lifetimes, so I'll leave it at that.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Have you ever played American Football? There's a saying in football when the quarterback throws the ball straight up without any thought and it's "he threw up a prayer". Meaning he's just hoping someone will catch it. Statistically speaking there is a 50-50 chance that it'll be caught.

Actual prayer works the same way. You don't know whether it'll be answered or if it should be answered for that matter. Maybe what you're praying for might have a negative side-effect in the future.

To answer your last question: If I am to believe that God isn't there then why would I pray? It defeats the point.
    Could you give some examples of things you prayed for that came true? If they're not too personal. And it would be all the more fun if they were things that were unlikely to happen unless god made it happen.

gray, that's interesting.

Jan 7, 2004
    what about those Reggina fans that have faith in their team. Their team has always been shit, have no promise of being amongst the best, yet they still have faith.
    what does that do for them? make them sleep at night? is that what you need to sleep at night? ignorance? first of all, i doubt there are any reggina fans out there that "believe" reggina will win seria a and if there are, they are disillusioned much like you. there are optimists and pessimists and everyone enjoys a win a feels bad during a defeat.

Jan 7, 2004
    Could you give some examples of things you prayed for that came true? If they're not too personal. And it would be all the more fun if they were things that were unlikely to happen unless god made it happen.

gray, that's interesting.
    i am gonna come out and say it. the second time we were playing real in the cl elimination games and juve won 2-0 (trezeguet and zalayeta) i did pray to god. i had a lot of money riding in that game and at that time i couldnt really afford to loose it.

i looked at the ceiling, and i told him that from that moment on, i would be a much better person if he made juventus win. juventus won and from that moment on, i became a better person. i respected everyone's beliefs and help them out whenever i can, if it doesn't inconvenience me to much and as long as they return the favour. i also try and help people by making them laugh, so i joke a lot but sometimes the jokes aren't that funny, but god doesn't mind, he knows i mean well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)