What is your god like? (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I think the biggest problem in debating the god question is that you can't know what someone means by saying "god".

So if you'd like to tell us what exactly you believe in (assuming you enjoy debating this) that would actually tell us what "god" means when you say it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
I have three personal definitions which could coexist with each other and most likely with all organized religions, at the very least symbolically. The closest thing to what I perceive as "God" is the Hindu concept of Brahman.

The abstract and spiritual God:
God is the force which causes attraction between particles and thus chemical reactions, which are the prerequisite of life.

The traditional God:
If by god one means someone almighty who chooses to create and take life, warm our days and make our nights cold, God is the sun.

The moral God:
God could be what makes us less instinctive and more ethically aware than other animals. He is what makes us human.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #8
    The abstract and spiritual God:
    God is the force which causes attraction between particles and thus chemical reactions, which are the prerequisite of life.
    What do you mean by the words "abstract" and "spiritual"?

The traditional God:
    If by god one means someone almighty who chooses to create and take life, warm our days and make our nights cold, God is the sun.
    So the sun created life?

The moral God:
    God could be what makes us less instinctive and more ethically aware than other animals. He is what makes us human.
    Ethical awareness isn't "instinctive"?

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
    What do you mean by the words "abstract" and "spiritual"?
    It's something which you cannot see, and that we can only assume is the work of God. One explains chemical reactions by there being a spirit behind it. In comparison, the Sun is physical being which one could project God like attributes to.

Essentially all my definitions are the same.

So the sun created life?
    Without the sun, there would be no life. Same goes for water, which also has the ability to take life. Two different gods, perhaps?

Ethical awareness isn't "instinctive"?
    Is it? Where do the instincts come from, are we born with them or are they a social construction? In either case, one could explain it with "God".

Reading my own post, it appears that God is the simple answer. If you're a fan of parsimony, then it's the right answer i.e. there is a God and that he is all that I just wrote, and much more.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #10
    It's something which you cannot see, and that we can only assume is the work of God.
    You mean something that is simply not visible to the eye (eg. electrical forces) but can be detected?

One explains chemical reactions by there being a spirit behind it. In comparison, the Sun is physical being which one could project God like attributes to.
    This is what interests me. What are god's attributes?

Without the sun, there would be no life. Same goes for water, which also has the ability to take life. Two different gods, perhaps?
    The more the merrier.

Is it? Where do the instincts come from, are we born with them or are they a social construction? In either case, one could explain it with "God".
    Well one could also call everything in the universe god as a synonym. But what's the point?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    My definition of a god is a sentient being that keeps Martin from starting any more of these threads.

Obviously, god does not exist. :p

Jun 13, 2007
    I believe in the Abrahimic God.

I think we have a profound sense of morality, we know what it is right and wrong and I believe this knowledge is linked with God, that God gave us this knowledge for it is necassary for our survival.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)