What is your god like? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #42
    I guess my definiton of the New Testament God would be one that is omnipotent, one whom is the source of all moral obligation, one that exists infinitely outside space and time, one that is supernatural, a loving, caring, and forgiving God.
    Plenty to work with here.

Let's start with this. Do you think God is good? That he is morally good?

(Bear me with me for taking this slowly.)

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
    I only study A level philosophy so i'm not the best philosopher out there martin, but I like the way you think you take the dawkins approach (all scientific) but at the same time you use a lot of kants logic in your answer. If you studied philosophy i'd dare say you'd be very good at it.
    first of all to answer the firts question you should check out Anselms and guanillo's argument. Then check out Descartes (basically says existance is a quality of God, it is something that is assumed like'all ummaried men are batchelors) but then Kant comes along and says for something to exist you must prove it (like a unicorn)
    what I was just trying to clarify was your way of thinking.

so then I can attack YOU!!!:D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #44
    I only study A level philosophy so i'm not the best philosopher out there martin, but I like the way you think you take the dawkins approach (all scientific) but at the same time you use a lot of kants logic in your answer. If you studied philosophy i'd dare say you'd be very good at it.
    Well I never did but from the few brushes I had with it left with the opposite impression :D

first of all to answer the firts question you should check out Anselms and guanillo's argument.
    where?

Then check out Descartes (basically says existance is a quality of God, it is something that is assumed like'all ummaried men are batchelors) but then Kant comes along and says for something to exist you must prove it (like a unicorn)
    what I was just trying to clarify was your way of thinking.
    Perhaps to yourself, but I am no less enlightened yet. :D

so then I can attack YOU!!!:D
    Always popular around here. :wink: Since I stopped being the admin people have fewer qualms about it, which is a good thing :D

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
    Well I never did but from the few brushes I had with it left with the opposite impression :D
    where?
    Perhaps to yourself, but I am no less enlightened yet. :D
    Always popular around here. :wink: Since I stopped being the admin people have fewer qualms about it, which is a good thing :D
    nobody likes a spoil sport such as dawkins.
    I don't have time to explain it now I've got to shoot off, but just use :google: and i'm sure you'll understand it when i'm back, 1 thing though, try to absorb it first before you argue against it.
    :tup:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #49
    Present :)

Luca, don't confuse Martin :D

Just follow the argument
    Luca went intellectual on my ass and I'm not enjoying it at all. :D

It's the old wisdom again. "It's always the quiet ones." The deadliest predator never announces himself, he infiltrates. :D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #50
    nobody likes a spoil sport such as dawkins.
    I don't have time to explain it now I've got to shoot off, but just use :google: and i'm sure you'll understand it when i'm back, 1 thing though, try to absorb it first before you argue against it.
    Sorry man but I'm not doing your work for you (I'm lazy or can't you tell :p ). If you want to refer to something then don't send me on a man hunt with a keyword. Present your document.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
    Martin, you are very good because you are coming up with key arguments that the best philosphers of our time, have argued with for centuries and pissed off big time their other philosophers, just read into it and absorb it as I said before you start twisting it onto us and we'll have our very own Hume in no time.
    he rejected everything and annoyed his fellow philoshers very much, and everyone hated it when he destroyed their arguments , just like you martin:D

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
    Sorry man but I'm not doing your work for you (I'm lazy or can't you tell :p ). If you want to refer to something then don't send me on a man hunt with a keyword. Present your document.
    it's written on paper from my notes over last year, you won't understand my writing or note form.(I'm lazy too, 2 can play this game)
    spain vs england gotta scram.

Jun 13, 2007
    So if you say that god is morally good, how do you know what is good and what is bad? Where does the definition come from?
    Being Morally good is simply doing the right thing, do not inflict pain on others, help others, forgive others, be kind to others, be peaceful to others.

Being Morally bad is just the opposite.

Where does it come from? In developed countries Morality comes from the media, books, schools, people etc..

In less developed countries, I would say religious books such as the Bible play an integral part in educating people on what is right and wrong.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #54
    Martin, you are very good because you are coming up with key arguments that the best philosphers of our time, have argued with for centuries and pissed off big time their other philosophers, just read into it and absorb it as I said before you start twisting it onto us and we'll have our very own Hume in no time.
    he rejected everything and annoyed his fellow philoshers very much, and everyone hated it when he destroyed their arguments , just like you martin:D
    You have no idea how often I get that :D

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #55
    Being Morally good is simply doing the right thing, do not inflict pain on others, help others, forgive others, be kind to others, be peaceful to others.
    Yes, but how do YOU know if an action is good or bad?

Where does it come from? In developed countries Morality comes from the media, books, schools, people etc..
    But the people who are writing these books and teaching in these schools, how do they know what's moral and what isn't?

In less developed countries, I would say religious books such as the Bible play an integral part in educating people on what is right and wrong.
    But the bible says you have to stone your child if he is disobedient to his parents and other such obviously immoral rules. So how does the bible help teach morality?

Jun 13, 2007
    Yes, but how do YOU know if an action is good or bad?

But the people who are writing these books and teaching in these schools, how do they know what's moral and what isn't?

But the bible says you have to stone your child if he is disobedient to his parents and other such obviously immoral rules. So how does the bible help teach morality?
    morality means a code of conduct which is held to be authoritative in matters of right and wrong. Morals are created by and define society, philosophy, religion, or individual conscience

I like to think that most of us have a conscience, we know what is right and wrong, why or how? I do not know. We would feel guilty if we stole from the poor, lied to someone we loved, caused pain to anyone etc...

Socrates and Aristotle spoke volumes about ethics and morality. Perhaps these books were derived and inspired from such philosophers.

The Bible teaches us forgiveness, love, and tolerance. Jesus' teachings are the very essence of morality.

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    Here is one of those essences in morality:

Matthew

10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #59
    morality means a code of conduct which is held to be authoritative in matters of right and wrong. Morals are created by and define society, philosophy, religion, or individual conscience
    Morals are created by society, philosophy religion and individual conscience? So does that mean they do not come from god?

The Bible teaches us forgiveness, love, and tolerance. Jesus' teachings are the very essence of morality.
    So in the bible only Jesus is an authority on morality?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #60
    Shall I put the name 'Jesus' in bold next time?

Martin, do you beleve in the exitence of objective moral truths? I assume not.
    I'll come to the point.

If you say that god is good, that means you can tell good from bad. So you don't need god to tell you what's good and bad.

Agreed?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)