What do you think of Moggi right now?? (2 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Well, after the verdicts have been revealed, I just want to know how everybody feel regading the man who was the main reason for making us taste the Serie B for the first time...

Personally, I still think the man has given Juve much of his efforts. Some of these efforts were not necessary indeed as we have players that could compete on the domestic and continental area without any help whatever it is...

The Italian calcio is not a very healthy workplace and you have to be a wild man to live there, and Moggi was a wild man...

--------------------------------------------------------

Luck finally runs out for Luciano

MILAN, Italy (Reuters) -- They called him Lucky Luciano for his wily dealings in the transfer market.

Others saw him as the reason why so much suspicion surrounded Italian football.

Last season Juventus's former general manager Luciano Moggi was arguably the most powerful club official in Serie A.

But his luck ran out on Friday, when a sports tribunal handed him a five-year ban for his part in the Serie A match-fixing scandal.

Juventus -- the club he worked for from 1994 until quitting in May, and with whom he had won seven Serie A titles and the 1996 Champions League -- will start next season in the second-tier Serie B with a 30-point deduction.

While many neutrals will regret Juve's demise, few will shed a tear for Moggi's spectacular fall from grace.

Moggi was at the center of the scandal from the moment it broke in early May with the publication of intercepted telephone conversations in which he discussed refereeing appointments with senior FIGC officials during the 2004-05 season.

The effect of the transcripts was like an earthquake.

Moggi dismissed them as "a load of rubbish" and suggested their release was timed to distract Juve from their final two games of the season in which the Turin side need to defend a three-point lead over AC Milan to claim their 29th league title.

As newspapers printed more transcripts, however, the pressure on him to quit grew.

He hung on until the last day of the season when -- after watching Juventus beat Reggina to secure their 29th scudetto -- he bid a tearful, televised farewell in which he accused the media of "killing his soul".

Few were weeping with him. In his long career in football management, Moggi had made as many enemies as friends.

In 2000, Juve won a vital end-of-season game against Parma when a valid goal from Parma defender Fabio Cannavaro was ruled out.

"Why do the Rome teams find it difficult to win the title? Ask Moggi. It will be this way until Moggi isn't against us. It is not enough to invest millions to win," said Roma president Franco Sensi.

After 20 years working for the state railways, Moggi got a job as a scout for Juventus and worked his way up the ladder with spells in administration at Roma, Torino and Napoli. He returned to Juventus as general manager in 1994.

He was known as the "king of the transfer market" and was one of the few officials from a top club to attend lower division deal-making sessions held in a Milan hotel.

His son Alessandro heads GEA World, Italy's leading management agency for top players and coaches which is being investigated by Rome magistrates.

For a man who was essentially an administrator, Moggi was rarely out of the headlines.

He frequently had rows with leading figures from other clubs -- Inter Milan president Giacinto Facchetti and coach Roberto Mancini found themselves in bitter public exchanges with the Juve official last season.

He appeared to revel in such clashes, but became increasingly camera-shy after the scandal broke.

He refused to meet the magistrate leading the Italian Football Federation investigation, Francesco Borrelli, claiming that since his resignation he had become "extraneous to the world of football".

He was also the only defendant not to present himself at the tribunal.

In his single public appearance, on a chat show on Italian state broadcaster RAI, 68-year-old Moggi portrayed himself as a man more sinned against than sinning.

"Look, I'm not a saint but I've not been in the company of angels," he said.

For many fans, however, his protestations failed to dispel his image as the sinister eminence gris behind more than a decade of Juventus successes.

Reuters

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
I have no feeling against or toward Moggi, he is past, and I look forward, Neither I hate him, nor I like, I just hope he stays away from Juve the rest of his life..

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Well I stand by what I said in the beggining of this scandal.

I do not beleive that Moggi can BUY or CONTROL the whole calcio by himself. Other clubs was doing things similar to what he was doing.
I am not saying it is right what he has done. Nor am I saying that I support everything he has done.
He had made mistakes, though I think his mistakes have been exagerated by this scandal.. I do beleive that if justice was to be served, all serie A clubs (if not all most) should be relegated (if relegation is the penalty that Juve have received) to clean what is called a corrupted calcio system and federation.
There are teams who out fluently spoke about fixing matches over phone taps that were published and not only that, they went and fixed it.. Such clubs are still playing in the Serie A. Other clubs who were asking for refs that favours their clubs and asked about future refs in not only the serie a but the champions league as well were not included in the scandal.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
I dont really know what to say. What I would like from him is the straight truth and nothing but it. I know his well known for lieing, proberly the best for it, especially for his marvellous smoke screen techniques and was one of the best at his jobs but I guess ambition took over his eyes and someway down the line he lost the plot. I certainly dont believe he was set to do this throughout his career at Juve. As many would know I have defended him since these transcripts have come out, some may laugh at it now but I belive what sort of defence I did do was definetly the right thing. Do I hate the guy, I kind of do now but I still believe that the wrong party got punished worse and we certainly are suffering the concequence of how many enemies he made at his career. He provided a lot and possibly saved a lot of money for us financially with his free transfers but all that has gone down the dump and in my eyes he cant do much to redeem himself.. its best if he never had any contact with us till the rest of his life. Anger yes but not as much as dissapointment. I have much more anger for all his enemies who I still believe set this and the verdict up.

Sianconero

Dec 13, 2005
I love him ... he was the only light in dark night. and the wind turned it off. don't you believe? OK ... see the verdicts and watch the dark night again! Look at he diffrence between the without Moggi Juve and with Berlusconi Milan and regret

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
I'm just glad he's gone. Don't really feel hatred for him, it has never been much of a secret that this is what he does. This is a good verdict for Italian football, though terrible for us.

Lets just see if we can come back to the top after this. I'm looking forward to see a new Juventus.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Katil said:
I'm just glad he's gone. Don't really feel hatred for him, it has never been much of a secret that this is what he does. This is a good verdict for Italian football, though terrible for us.

Lets just see if we can come back to the top after this. I'm looking forward to see a new Juventus.
it's almost imposible with -30 points

Akerman

Oct 20, 2005
I don't think it will either be easy to advance to Serie A or wash away Juventus' bad reputation after the scandal. We are probably playing in Serie A 08/09-season, but it will take a whole 20 years to wash the scandal away. People are in general too fast at judging us so my hopes for them to change is very little.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
ZAF3000 said:
Well I stand by what I said in the beggining of this scandal.

I do not beleive that Moggi can BUY or CONTROL the whole calcio by himself. Other clubs was doing things similar to what he was doing.
I am not saying it is right what he has done. Nor am I saying that I support everything he has done.
He had made mistakes, though I think his mistakes have been exagerated by this scandal.. I do beleive that if justice was to be served, all serie A clubs (if not all most) should be relegated (if relegation is the penalty that Juve have received) to clean what is called a corrupted calcio system and federation.
There are teams who out fluently spoke about fixing matches over phone taps that were published and not only that, they went and fixed it.. Such clubs are still playing in the Serie A. Other clubs who were asking for refs that favours their clubs and asked about future refs in not only the serie a but the champions league as well were not included in the scandal.

Agree:agree: 100%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)