Jun 16, 2020
in hungary the daycare is a state financed service, it is free. there are private services for the rich and famous but only the food is different lol. mothers also get to stay home for 2 years (no typo) after the kid's born.

belgium is indeed mad though. we have friends in liége, the wife is hungarian, we visited them this summer. she told us that kids go to school even when they're sick, a running nose, a flu or a cold with a slight fever wouldn't stop them, because grandparents are either dead or live too far away, and a babysitter would be way too expensive. they can afford new bmw's and merc's but no babysitting.
Do you pay for health care?

Buy on AliExpress.com

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Do you pay for health care?
depends on the service. if you are insured (so you have a job or you're a entrepreneur and pay the social security contribution), you're entitled to many services.

gp is free, state owned hospitals offer many services. for example i had a gallbladder removal this summer, it was completely free, from the first examination to the last stitch. but the waiting lists can be extremely long, and the types of free service are limited. for example most of dental care is paid, only tooth removal is free. cosmetic surgeries are paid. melanoma removal is free. most kinds of psychiatric or mental care are paid. when you brake a bone the care is free. implants like a hip prosthesis which is pretty common for elderly is free, but the waiting list is like 2.5 years. (a friend called last week to ask for advice, the grandma is waiting for her implant, she's having extreme pain, waiting list is long, private health care is expensive for them. state owned hospital won't do the surgery just because of the pain, but if she broke her hip, she'd be operated.) etc

Jun 16, 2020
depends on the service. if you are insured (so you have a job or you're a entrepreneur and pay the social security contribution), you're entitled to many services.

gp is free, state owned hospitals offer many services. for example i had a gallbladder removal this summer, it was completely free, from the first examination to the last stitch. but the waiting lists can be extremely long, and the types of free service are limited. for example most of dental care is paid, only tooth removal is free. cosmetic surgeries are paid. melanoma removal is free. most kinds of psychiatric or mental care are paid. when you brake a bone the care is free. implants like a hip prosthesis which is pretty common for elderly is free, but the waiting list is like 2.5 years. (a friend called last week to ask for advice, the grandma is waiting for her implant, she's having extreme pain, waiting list is long, private health care is expensive for them. state owned hospital won't do the surgery just because of the pain, but if she broke her hip, she'd be operated.) etc
It doesn’t necessarily sounds better than here. The average adult person here pays €160/180 per month, but I got to say that hospitals are pretty good. Above that you pay your ‘own risk’ of about €385 every January, per person. Italy is a mess compared to Dutch healthcare

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I heard some crazy story so I need you guys to tell me how it works over there (EU).

Is it really possibile to work in some field for certain amount of period (years) and based on that to get directly on the university to study masters degree? In a sense that those years of experience get you a bachelor degree (in the same fielnd based on your work experience) even without attending university?

I find that shit crazy and I can't believe it. Is that true? I had one guy telling me it's true because his friend did it. WTF!? It makes zero sense to me. That has to be BS, right?

Jun 16, 2020
I heard some crazy story so I need you guys to tell me how it works over there (EU).

Is it really possibile to work in some field for certain amount of period (years) and based on that to get directly on the university to study masters degree? In a sense that those years of experience get you a bachelor degree (in the same fielnd based on your work experience) even without attending university?

I find that shit crazy and I can't believe it. Is that true? I had one guy telling me it's true because his friend did it. WTF!? It makes zero sense to me. That has to be BS, right?
I call bs

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
For a week it now costs me about 150 euros, whereas without the kid it would be around 90.

But really that's just one small thing. There's so much you have to pay. Like daycare. That's about 450 a month.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
right, now multiply that by 3 for another 3 kids. or 4 to include other parent.

you are right thats just the tip. kids are expensive as fuck

- - - Updated - - -

this is also possible in north america, it's called a course substitute based on field of work. instead of taking that course, you get credit for it because your field of work already covered anything you could have learned.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I hope so.

this is also possible in north america, it's called a course substitute based on field of work. instead of taking that course, you get credit for it because your field of work already covered anything you could have learned.
WTF?

Wait.... wait. Is it just the same as finishing bachelor degree? Does it write it's a course or it's literally the same as 4 year of studies for the bachelor degree?

If that's true that's fucking retarded man

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
in hungary the daycare is a state financed service, it is free. there are private services for the rich and famous but only the food is different lol. mothers also get to stay home for 2 years (no typo) after the kid's born.
so here in canada, at least in province of ontario, day care is also subsidized, however because there is so much demand and little workforce, the wait list is long and for a lot peopple impossible to get in to.

i would not be surpised if hungary is same and a lot of people have to pay for day care anyway

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I hope so.

WTF?

Wait.... wait. Is it just the same as finishing bachelor degree? Does it write it's a course or it's literally the same as 4 year of studies for the bachelor degree?

as far as i know here in north america it's only substitute for courses in university and college, not for entire degrees. you might be able to prove your work should account for degree or diploma but i assume the standard is high.

for example let's say you joined the army at 18 and through the army you learned courses in accounting and worked in accounting in army for 10 years, it would make sense you can substitute your work experience for taking the same courses in civillian courses.

the only think i know in canada you can do is substitute work experince for a high school diploma. but higher education will be difficult

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I hope so.

WTF?

Nah. Will never just be given a bachelors degree for work experience. Can occasionally get credit for a few college courses and towards diplomas. It’s more common for the trades and trade school. And even then you generally still have to take the exams. But after enough years of working as a non-accredited carpenter, mason, etc… you can generally skip the school part and challenge the exams to get certified red seal.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Complete bachelor degrees I doubt. But sometimes you don't have to certain courses if you can demonstrate work experience. It's exceptional though.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Work-based learning here is common, been around for decades. Work-based degrees not so much but they are available.
If it's common then I'm not surprised by the high number of diplomas in EU.

I don't think this is fair, though. Not that I don't appreciate work experience, far from it, but it changes the whole picture of the studies as it feels like a total waste of time if this shit is true.

as far as i know here in north america it's only substitute for courses in university and college, not for entire degrees. you might be able to prove your work should account for degree or diploma but i assume the standard is high.

for example let's say you joined the army at 18 and through the army you learned courses in accounting and worked in accounting in army for 10 years, it would make sense you can substitute your work experience for taking the same courses in civillian courses.

the only think i know in canada you can do is substitute work experince for a high school diploma. but higher education will be difficult
I find it strange that the guy got into MA purely based on his work experience. So pretty much it's a direct replacement for bachelor studies of 4 years. That thing is not possible in my country and I was literally shocked when I heard that. By the way, the guy lives in Prague, so it's not some shithole.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It doesn’t necessarily sounds better than here. The average adult person here pays €160/180 per month, but I got to say that hospitals are pretty good. Above that you pay your ‘own risk’ of about €385 every January, per person. Italy is a mess compared to Dutch healthcare
Dutch healthcare is stupidly expensive and also very poor compared to Belgian healthcare.

A lot of things go wrong in Belgium too of course. But if you need it, you can get a world class surgeon to perform surgery on you tomorrow and it'll probably set you back 50 euros or something.

I don't know if we could use our system in much larger countries. But I do believe any decent society should have good healthcare at a low price, preferably even for free.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
If it's common then I'm not surprised by the high number of diplomas in EU.

I don't think this is fair, though. Not that I don't appreciate work experience, far from it, but it changes the whole picture of the studies as it feels like a total waste of time if this shit is true.

I find it strange that the guy got into MA purely based on his work experience. So pretty much it's a direct replacement for bachelor studies of 4 years. That thing is not possible in my country and I was literally shocked when I heard that. By the way, the guy lives in Prague, so it's not some shithole.
my point of view is don't believe people say and that most people exaggerate details of their life/lie about things.

if people can't show proof, assume it's bullshit.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Complete bachelor degrees I doubt. But sometimes you don't have to certain courses if you can demonstrate work experience. It's exceptional though.

Nah. Will never just be given a bachelors degree for work experience. Can occasionally get credit for a few college courses and towards diplomas. It’s more common for the trades and trade school. And even then you generally still have to take the exams. But after enough years of working as a non-accredited carpenter, mason, etc… you can generally skip the school part and challenge the exams to get certified red seal.
I get that totally.

What I found striking was that the guy went through years of experience directly to Masters. 4 freaking years. And it's a highly rated university, not some random shit. He did say it took a loooot of stuff to get it done but he did finish all of that. Can't express my disappointment, I was disgusted.

Can't even imagine somebody studying 1 year of Masters (which is usually quite easier than bachelors degree too) and then getting in the same line as somebody that suffered for 5 years behind the books.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

belgium is indeed mad though. we have friends in liége, the wife is hungarian, we visited them this summer. she told us that kids go to school even when they're sick, a running nose, a flu or a cold with a slight fever wouldn't stop them, because grandparents are either dead or live too far away, and a babysitter would be way too expensive. they can afford new bmw's and merc's but no babysitting.
Keep in mind that Belgians are crazy for luxury cars. Online I see people post stuff about having seen a Brabus G Wagon or a Lamborghini Urus once. Those are vehicles I see every week. Pretty much everyone and their mother owns a BMW X5.

And not all those people are rich. Far from it.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
my point of view is don't believe people say and that most people exaggerate details of their life/lie about things.

if people can't show proof, assume it's bullshit.
Agreed.

However, I heard it today from my co-worker who's not the slightest liar. And I was so shocked he started laughing. But as I couldn't believe it he said he'd contact the guy right away and ask him, but I had no time to I had to leave. He did show me his linkedin profile (I know it's not a guarantee).

But yeah... just like I thought. Too crazy to be true.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Keep in mind that Belgians are crazy for luxury cars. Online I see people post stuff about having seen a Brabus G Wagon or a Lamborghini Urus once. Those are vehicles I see every week. Pretty much everyone and their mother owns a BMW X5.

And not all those people are rich. Far from it.

it's all about payments. when you finance things over 8 or 9 years suddenly it's affordable but "just" enough.

lots of people are house poor or car poor. it's image

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 58)