We need .... (general transfer discussion thread) (1 Viewer)

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
I've been reading some threads concerning the transfers we have made in recent years, our transfer policy, all those players we "need" to buy, how bad our team is compared to Milan's and so on and I got pretty annoyed at the lack of appreciation and recognition showed regagrding our actions on the transfer market.

Imho, we are one of the very best clubs in the world in terms of operating on the transfer market. The deals the club has made during the last few years were extraordinary(also concerning coaches), and demonstrated just how brilliantly and wisely the club has handled different situations and climates. Let me tell you what I mean:

After a highly successful period under the reigns of Lippi, in which the club won several important trophies and gained world recognition, the club decided to part with most of its star players. Players such as Vialli, Ravanelli, Deschamps, Torricelli, Di Livio, Perruzzi and Jugovic left the club, and later also Baggio, Vieri and Boksic. Lippi also left, and was replaced by Ancelotti. In came Zidane, Inzaghi, van der Sar and Davids-the first two were relatively unknown, while Davids was already a star but was nowhere near his current levels. The club also counted heavily on the talent of a young Del Piero, who famously replaced Baggio. As the years passed by, Zidane and Davids became the best in the world in their positions, while Inzaghi and Del Piero formed a deadly partnership in many years to come. The defence wasn't bad either: many regarded it as the best in the world. But unfortunately, the club failed to achieve the most important thing: winning. That's why Ancelotti was fired, and Lippi brought back. The club sold Zidane and Inzaghi - both at the peek of their careers - and spent heavily on Nedved, Buffon, Thuram and Salas. Trezeguet replaced Inzaghi as the main hitman. The club started winning again, with Trezeguet becoming top scorer in his first season, Buffon becoming the best gk in the world and Nedved winning the Ballon d'Or. However, a horrific season followed, and Lippi resigned, making way for Capello. With him he brought Emerson and Zebina, plus the signings of Ibrahimovic, Cannavaro and Blasi. Although the season isn't finished yet, we can already see the signs: the defencive problem from last season has been resolved, all of the new players are impressing(maybe except Kapo), and the club is in good position to win Serie A and, if we eliminate Real, the CL.

More to follow...:D

Buy on AliExpress.com

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
But, of course, not all of our transfers were successful. Some could even be considered disastrous, especially the ones made for the 04/05 season, when Di Vaio, Miccoli, Legrottaglie and Appiah all disappointed. Add to that the failures of players such as van der Sar, Baiocco and Salas (although the latter because of injury) and one can start questioning why he/she is a Juve fan in the first place. However, considering all the transfers I mentioned in my previous post Juve fans should be delighted.

The transfer mentality of the club is, as many point out, making stars instead of buying stars. This may not be entirely true, as the purchases of Buffon, Nedved, Thuram, Cannavaro and Ibrahimovic suggest, but considering the long-term effects, most of them should still be considered successful. Because of the difficult financial climatein world football, the club always goes for the cheapest options available, but at the same time maintaining the quality of the side and future effects. To be able to do this it operates quickly and effectively on the transfer market, and with the help of Moggi's genious pays sooner too little than too much when making a deal.

Damn, It seems I can never finish this off...More to follow.:D

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Di Vaio didn't meet expectations as he failed to recapture his Parma form, but I don't consider Miccoli to have been a disappointment. He quite frankly wasn't given the opportunities that someone with his talent and promise should've received. I don't miss him as I'm quite content to have Ibrahimovic in our squad and I don't think he'll become the next Del Piero or anything like that, but Miccoli has a lot of potential as well as ability in abundance.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
Okay maybe he wasn't all that bad, but surely the others disappointed. I agree that he wasn't given the opportunities and faith he should have, as he deserved more given his ability and undoubted potential. But then again he had Del Piero and Trezeguet as direct rivals, plus Di Vaio, who wasn't a much worse player than him and scored more, and Zalayeta.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
Anyway my point is, many of you in this forum should stop complaining and dreaming of unrealistic targets and instead appreciate the club's actions on the transfer market as they really aren't that bad. We may not buy the hottest players around or the most famous ones but they are all Juve quality. And about us having a worse team than Milan, I can say that I agree but then again we have other qualities they don't have. We may not have Berlusconi but have Moggi.;)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Were Legrottaglie and Appiah good signings? Did they prove to be Juve quality? No, and if we weren't so stingy we could have gotten Cannavaro before he joined Inter, or maybe Chivu, or Lucio. Ok fine, spending big isn't our style, we prefer to keep the books balanced, but that doesn't explain why we miss out on young talents time and time again. Mexes and Ferrari weren't expensive and I don't think they would have chosen Roma over Juve if we had made an offer similar to the Giallorossi's. The two central defenders have struggled in Rome, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would have preferred Mexes or Ferrari to Montero.

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Were Legrottaglie and Appiah good signings? Did they prove to be Juve quality? No, and if we weren't so stingy we could have gotten Cannavaro before he joined Inter, or maybe Chivu, or Lucio. Ok fine, spending big isn't our style, we prefer to keep the books balanced, but that doesn't explain why we miss out on young talents time and time again. Mexes and Ferrari weren't expensive and I don't think they would have chosen Roma over Juve if we had made an offer similar to the Giallorossi's. The two central defenders have struggled in Rome, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would have preferred Mexes or Ferrari to Montero.
Debateable. In rome, there is alot more for Mexes to gain from. Routine CL football, starting role, and the beatiful city of rome. Its not just about the club sucesses.

Webber

Feb 27, 2005
As far as i know, Roma stole Mexes from Manchester United. Ferguson has been sending a christmas card every year to Mexes from his 12 year. When he visited Manchester, Fergie gave him Man U shirt, with words: Mexes and some number, which I don't remember now. So, I don't think, that we could stole Mexes, in matter of fact, IMO, he didn't prove himself fully by Roma, so I think, that there are still better defenders in Serie A, than Mexes is.

And, just as Paulo said, many of you should stop dreaming of unrealistic targets as Puyol and some other are. That's he way it is and I'm glad, that we don't make footbal just with millions.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
I don't know why we didn't buy Mexes or Ferrari, or any other young defender for that matter. I too was very eager to see one of them in Turin, but apparently Moggi preferred Legrottaglie instead(which makes no sense financially). I think buying him was one of the biggest mistakes in his time at Juve and he either totally misjudged him or the player just didn't play at his best. Either way he should have brought in someone else. Cannavaro, or preferrably Nesta, would be great, but for now I'm happy we've got one of them now.

Appiah and Miccoli were considered great prospects when Juve bought them, even one of the best in Serie A at the time. Why they didn't meet expectations is another good question, I don't know, maybe the pressure was too much for them or they weren't given the neccessary chances and faith they needed to succeed.

++ [ originally posted by Dan ] ++
Debateable. In rome, there is alot more for Mexes to gain from. Routine CL football, starting role, and the beatiful city of rome. Its not just about the club sucesses.
He would also have routine CL football and a starting role at Juve, and what has the city of rome anything to do with this issue?:confused:

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
I would rather live in rome then turin by far. Who likes a cold industrial city?

Plus, its a joy to play at the olimpico infront of thousands of passionate fans

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
I would rather live in rome then turin by far. Who likes a cold industrial city?

In Italy I'd live in Milano...

paulo

Aug 14, 2002

I see your point but come on, for a football player there shouldn't be any doubt weather to play in Juve or Roma. Juve is a bigger, more prestigious and more successful club which gives certain guarantees. Rome is surely a wonderful city but the fans are probably a little too passionate if you know what I mean.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by paulo ] ++

I see your point but come on, for a football player there shouldn't be any doubt weather to play in Juve or Roma. Juve is a bigger, more prestigious and more successful club which gives certain guarantees. Rome is surely a wonderful city but the fans are probably a little too passionate if you know what I mean.
Thats may be why young players want Rome more, coz Juve have already plenty of history and if you want to make a name for urself, u'd be up against Buffon, Del Piero, Baggio, Zidane. Platini and plenty other. So that player could be more memorable for rome, its like the reason y Stankovic pickied Inter over us.

Anyhow, I think Juve not spending so much this year had something to do with our previous transfers of Appiah, Miccoli and Legro, no doubt that was a very good transfer campaign probably the best in Italy judging from the previous season performances, but we made 2 mistakes with that transfer and I think we were still payin for them this year.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002

With the beautiful city of Rome came a nice suspension and if he stays there he definitely won't be playing Champions League football next season.

Geof

May 14, 2004
GK: Buffon does the job, he's the best. there have been rumours of him leaving to Real. Realistic targets then would be: Frey or De Sanctis. Maybe Casillas in a swap.

backup GK: Is Chimenti retiring? I don't really know Bonnefoi, so I don't know if we need to sign a bkup GK. we had Carini, but if u cn get Cannavaro for him....

Defence: terrible need for young(er) CB's. Kovac if the press is right. a young talent would be welcome: Kompany (? might be too expensive) Barzagli? There are a lot of options open.
We might need a RB as Zebina is not the best we can get. Miguel gets my vote. Zambrotta is Universe class as LB. If he leaves (Chelski??), we might hope Chiellini does the job. Pessotto and Birindelli are good reliable cover.

Midfield: Camo and Emo are great and should continue next year. Neddy is on the end, and we need a creative mid like him. Tacchi hasn't got the favor of Capello and Blasi-Appiah aren't good enough. I think we should buy someone like Pizarro, Rosicky.... or more defensive like Essien, Mascherano... It all depends on the tactics Capello wants to use next year.

Attack: The most tricky part. Zlatan will stay. Thats all I can say. Moggi's intentions on Mutu still aren't clear. Trez could leave if anyone gives the cash (Barca?), while DP has been rumoured strongly to London, or maybe Japan. Zalayeta could be offered a starting role somewhere else. Cassano could be signed, maybe a Gilardino surprise? You never know....

Anyway here is my starting 11:

----------------------Gigi------------------

Miguel--Canna---Thuram (Barzagli---Zambo

------Camo------Emo----------Neddy

--------------------Mutu-----------------

-------Zlatan---------------Cassano------

IN: Cassano, Barzagli, Miguel, Kovac, Nonda
OUT: Trez, Blasi, Appiah, Kapo, Nonda

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
Buffon

Miguel--------Ibanez-------Canna----------Zambro

Emerson----Ledesma

Joaquin Megni

Zlatan--------Cassano

this team is based on the transfer targets we are most linked with i know we are not linked with joaquin that much but he is a player that Cappello has always liked ....

Apr 13, 2005
You know what Juventus really lack.
A fast winger. One who can charge at teams with fast counter attacks. Not the slow passing back and forth across the pitch

Camoranesi has his days, he can be very good now and again but we need a left sided one.
I am not trying to be bias, being Irish, but Damian Duff is my choice.
He is a great dribbler, intelligent and can cross.
Chelsea have Robben and Joe Cole so Duff could become surplus to requirement there. He would suit perfectly.
Imagine Duff and Comaranesi both crossing left and right with 2 very tall guys in Trezeguet and Zlatan in the box.
That would work wonders for the team.

If not Duff, maybe Joquain or Romeo Castelen of Feyenoord

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)