[WC] World Cup 2022 - General Talk Thread (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think the bigger issue is construction on a lot of WC projects is still not finished 2 days before the tournament kicks off. But then again, half finished buildings and fan zones may just be Qatari culture for all I know.
I really wonder how many fans from the participating countries will actually make it to Qatar. I can only speak from my own experience, but in the past many people advertised that they were going to the World Cup. They were sort of bragging, but also really happy to go. I have not heard a single person say he was going to Qatar. I suppose some will go, but even those who do seem to keep very quiet about it.

No doubt people will watch the World Cup. Myself included. But there is a really pervasive sense of shame.

Buy on AliExpress.com

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
I really wonder how many fans from the participating countries will actually make it to Qatar. I can only speak from my own experience, but in the past many people advertised that they were going to the World Cup. They were sort of bragging, but also really happy to go. I have not heard a single person say he was going to Qatar. I suppose some will go, but even those who do seem to keep very quiet about it.

No doubt people will watch the World Cup. Myself included. But there is a really pervasive sense of shame.
This tournament has been dubbed the WC for the elite.

It's tailored for the uber wealthy by design. It's not meant for plebs traveling in a group to party down at the World Cup.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Time and time again we have had issues with drunk English fans. BBC always blames the local organization. It's ridiculous. Brits drink obscene amounts of alcohol while abroad, usually underestimate the percentage of alcohol they're drinking (because they're used to piss back home) and destroy everyone and everything that comes near them. It's not really a big issue in other European countries though. In Italy they actually drink coffee at halftime lol. In Belgium people do drink and sometimes stuff does happen, but I don't think it's very alcohol induced. It's more stupidity induced.

But the simple fact of the matter is alcohol is a drug and it is perfectly acceptable for a society to decide they want to ban it. Especially when that drug has caused as much harm in the world as alcohol has. I have very little sympathy for the alcohol sponsors here.
Coke is the go to drug now for English hooligans, they won't even need alcohol.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

It's tailored for the uber wealthy by design. It's not meant for plebs traveling in a group to party down at the World Cup.
Should rename it the 'Tiny Fraction of the World Cup'.

Anyway, I have family who are going. Guy is not exactly elite, he is a fireman and his son. Wouldn't be high on my list but they are the sort who try to get all major football events in.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Well, maybe, but the entire idea of the World Cup is having fans from all over the world.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

will be full of instathots taking a detour from dubai

satfootball

Oct 5, 2009
Yes, Western beauties, this is not Netflix, where you can drink beer with a Muslim or wear your favorite clothes and it has nothing to do with you.
This is the middle of the Middle East, it is the reality and the hell that we lived in for years, now you can experience a bit of it.

Aug 2, 2005

I live in Dubai.. and the city is overly full already..
Many from those I know personally are spending 7-10 days in Qatar.. and I can confidently also say that every single person I know who has an interest in football mentions that at least one of his contacts are coming.. either to Qatar directly or staying in Dubai and going on a daily shuttle (at least a 1000 everyday).. attend the match(s). spend some time in Qatar and then come back to Dubai.

Hotels or furnished apartments that were like 70$-100$ are now at 2000-3000 and this is in Dubai..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I live in Dubai.. and the city is overly full already..
Many from those I know personally are spending 7-10 days in Qatar.. and I can confidently also say that every single person I know who has an interest in football mentions that at least one of his contacts are coming.. either to Qatar directly or staying in Dubai and going on a daily shuttle (at least a 1000 everyday).. attend the match(s). spend some time in Qatar and then come back to Dubai.

Hotels or furnished apartments that were like 70$-100$ are now at 2000-3000 and this is in Dubai..
Yes, but you are obviously very close to Qatar. And you're talking about "contacts".

Jun 16, 2020
I’m cheering for Qatar this WC. Hypocrisy of the West is unbearable.

The whole world know they bribed themselves into the WC, everyone knew hundreds of workers died during this proces, nobody gave a fuck until a few weeks before the start of the WC. Lets see in march who still talks about the dead workers, we know that answer already

Now after weeks of lobbying for the acceptance of rainbows, they came with a nice counter attack of not allowing beer. Good for them.

Instead of blaming Qatar, let’s look to those hypocrite fucks at the FIFA.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
How is this hypocrisy of "the west" literally nobody in the west wanted a world cup in Qatar and plenty have been quite vocal about it, only a handful of corrupt FIFA officials took bribes for this to happen and iirc most of the accused were not westerners

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I’m cheering for Qatar this WC. Hypocrisy of the West is unbearable.

The whole world know they bribed themselves into the WC, everyone knew hundreds of workers died during this proces, nobody gave a fuck until a few weeks before the start of the WC. Lets see in march who still talks about the dead workers, we know that answer already

Now after weeks of lobbying for the acceptance of rainbows, they came with a nice counter attack of not allowing beer. Good for them.

Instead of blaming Qatar, let’s look to those hypocrite fucks at the FIFA.

There was massive outrage when their bid got picked.

You can look up my posts of this exact forum from way back then even.

There is no hypocrisy.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
With no Italy, my interest in this world cup is minimal. The fact that it’s been held in Qatar just makes it worse. Add to this that it’s happening in the middle of the season.

I’m hoping that changes as the tournament goes on and there as some good games but let’s see.

I would personally like it if a team from Africa went on to win it, but don’t see it happening. Especially with Mane out for Senegal…but there is France i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
With no Italy, my interest in this world cup is minimal. The fact that it’s been held in Qatar just makes it worse. Add to this that it’s happening in the middle of the season.

I’m hoping that changes as the tournament goes on and there as some good games but let’s see.

I would personally like it if a team from Africa went on to win it, but don’t see it happening. Especially with Mane out for Senegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can guarantee this World Cup will be talked about for a very long time because of the referees.

Watch them make a bad situation worse.

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, but you are obviously very close to Qatar. And you're talking about "contacts".
Let me rephrase..
Like a "hi" (for example) is word used in every conversation..

On daily basis for the last month.. All convos I am part of (talking or listening or whatever)..
At least one will say
literally at least one

"my friend/s" "my brother" "my colleague" "my cousins" "my relative" "my brother's friend" "my in-laws" etc..
Collectively "contacts"
Are coming to Dubai/Qatar next week.. in Dec etc for the world cup..

Some were helping "the contact" to settle.. some were joining them.. some will travel together...
And people living in Dubai are from 200 nationalities...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)