[WC] World Cup 2022 - General Talk Thread (12 Viewers)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opin...world-cup-2022-west-hypocritical-and-shameful

https://www.trtworld.com/opinion/wo...gnores-qatar-s-progress-on-human-rights-62593

I am not endorsing or condoning the staging of the World Cup in Qatar, far from it. However, the expectations of the West for everyone to adhere to their norms is both hypocritical and self defeating.

The people who made the selection process, the ones who were paid off by the corrupt state, were many of them not from Western countries? Also, the decision was made years ago, so why are they complaining now? Inopportune timing if anything.

I would have loved to see a World Cup in North Africa, where there is real culture and a footballing tradition, but Egypt (rightfully) lost out to South Africa in 2010.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
for me it’s the whole middle of the season thing. feel like it’s a slight to the players to have it in the middle of the club season. and the there’s fact Qatar is going to use giant air conditioning blimps anymore. I was really looking forward to that
If you cannot reasonably accommodate a World Cup in Qatar or Iceland or New Zealand because of time zones or climate patterns, then it is not a World Cup. Period.

The Eurocentric whining whenever they have to bother to accommodate the times or climates in the rest of the world is Insufferable.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opin...world-cup-2022-west-hypocritical-and-shameful

https://www.trtworld.com/opinion/wo...gnores-qatar-s-progress-on-human-rights-62593

I am not endorsing or condoning the staging of the World Cup in Qatar, far from it. However, the expectations of the West for everyone to adhere to their norms is both hypocritical and self defeating.

The people who made the selection process, the ones who were paid off by the corrupt state, were many of them not from Western countries? Also, the decision was made years ago, so why are they complaining now? Inopportune timing if anything.

I would have loved to see a World Cup in North Africa, where there is real culture and a footballing tradition, but Egypt (rightfully) lost out to South Africa in 2010.
You think I like those who made the decision or what? Doesn't make it any less of a disaster. And where is this "complaining now" thing coming from I keep reading? The outrage was constant ever since, and rightly so. The protests didn't just pop up now.

TRT World :touched:

"adhere to their norms" lol

How about don't have your stadiums built by modern day slaves?

Them evil Westerners asking for too much.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If you cannot reasonably accommodate a World Cup in Qatar or Iceland or New Zealand because of time zones or climate patterns, then it is not a World Cup. Period.

The Eurocentric whining whenever they have to bother to accommodate the times or climates in the rest of the world is Insufferable.
Football is eurocentric. Period.

All the big teams are European. It is what it is.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
In such a sleezy way too. He's giving off really strong Blatter vibes.

He really does, he's ranting like a madman today, deluded.

I'm not sure highlighting very different problems Western countries have is enough to deflect attention from the concerns "The West" has about hosting a World Cup in Qatar, or is enough to class it as hypocrisy. In fact I'm sure of it. But when you criticise Qatar and it's laws it seems that somehow you criticise the Arab world as a whole, everyone rallies around Qatar, and it becomes this tiresome West v Arab argument.

I also don't think it's enough to say "ok, this tournament isn't being held in Denmark, it's somewhere which has draconian laws (or no laws) across the board, so we have to adhere to it". That's fine if you want to visit Qatar or any other country as a tourist or to work, that is a personal choice. This is a choice people are forced to make if they want to attend a global tournament, to award the tournament to such a country, which is largely irrelevant in the football world, because they have lots of money and can build nice infrastructure. But as I said about 12 years ago when the decision was made, I'm sure they will put on a good enough show and security will control and disappear enough incidents to make sure things run smoothly. I've no idea what the football will be like considering the conditions, but I'd imagine it will make it more randomised and interesting.

My view hasn't really changed. Playing in winter is absolute shit. Playing in irrelevant football country is shit, but I understand that money talks and at some point there would be an oil country World Cup with shiny, sterile stadiums. And I'm not naive to think that money hasn't bought FIFA's vote many times before. When you add in the concerns around basic human rights, laws and regulations it leaves itself open for criticism. Because the West isn't utopia isn't enough to justify, in my opinion.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
He really does, he's ranting like a madman today, deluded.

I'm not sure highlighting very different problems Western countries have is enough to deflect attention from the concerns "The West" has about hosting a World Cup in Qatar, or is enough to class it as hypocrisy. In fact I'm sure of it. But when you criticise Qatar and it's laws it seems that somehow you criticise the Arab world as a whole, everyone rallies around Qatar, and it becomes this tiresome West v Arab argument.

I also don't think it's enough to say "ok, this tournament isn't being held in Denmark, it's somewhere which has draconian laws (or no laws) across the board, so we have to adhere to it". That's fine if you want to visit Qatar or any other country as a tourist or to work, that is a personal choice. This is a choice people are forced to make if they want to attend a global tournament, to award the tournament to such a country, which is largely irrelevant in the football world, because they have lots of money and can build nice infrastructure. But as I said about 12 years ago when the decision was made, I'm sure they will put on a good enough show and security will control and disappear enough incidents to make sure things run smoothly. I've no idea what the football will be like considering the conditions, but I'd imagine it will make it more randomised and interesting.

My view hasn't really changed. Playing in winter is absolute shit. Playing in irrelevant football country is shit, but I understand that money talks and at some point there would be an oil country World Cup with shiny, sterile stadiums. And I'm not naive to think that money hasn't bought FIFA's vote many times before. When you add in the concerns around basic human rights, laws and regulations it leaves itself open for criticism. Because the West isn't utopia isn't enough to justify, in my opinion.
FIFA is ridiculous to talk about following laws anyway. The first thing they do is ask for a tax exemption.

He also conveniently leaves out that no such criticism was made when World Cups were held in Asia or Africa. Which are not the West either.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
What are folks complaining about now?

When you go somewhere you implicitly accept to abide by the local rules. If not then it's one of those "fvck around and find out" situations.

The gulag in Qatar doesn't sound like fun.

Straya should have hosted this World Cup.

As a consolation prize, they gave us the rugmuncher World Cup next year :baus:
I fully endorse straya to host both

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I’m cheering for Qatar this WC. Hypocrisy of the West is unbearable.

The whole world know they bribed themselves into the WC, everyone knew hundreds of workers died during this proces, nobody gave a fuck until a few weeks before the start of the WC. Lets see in march who still talks about the dead workers, we know that answer already

Now after weeks of lobbying for the acceptance of rainbows, they came with a nice counter attack of not allowing beer. Good for them.

Instead of blaming Qatar, let’s look to those hypocrite fucks at the FIFA.
Hypocrisy of the west? If you disregard that the hosting country stomps on basic human rights, that thousands of foreign workers lost their lives while building the stadiums, that they bribed Fifa officials, that it isnt a footballing nation in the 1st place and they have to pay people to come to stadia and finally that it is a fucking desert, it really is a perfect country for worlds biggest sporting event. Go Qatar :tup:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

I thought the World Cups in Korea/Japan, Brazil and South Africa were great.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
You think I like those who made the decision or what? Doesn't make it any less of a disaster. And where is this "complaining now" thing coming from I keep reading? The outrage was constant ever since, and rightly so. The protests didn't just pop up now.

TRT World :touched:

"adhere to their norms" lol

How about don't have your stadiums built by modern day slaves?

Them evil Westerners asking for too much.
Well no one is forcing them Westerners to play, no? They could have boycotted it years ago

- - - Updated - - -

This world cup has been criticised by the west from day one. Day one.

If all the big nations said they won't play in Qatar when it became clear to the wide public what's going on there, you think FIFA would proceed with a 3rd world countries World Cup or they'd give it to someone else instead?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)