[WC] World Cup 2022 - General Talk Thread (24 Viewers)

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
What do most people over here make out of Argentina's chances to win the WC? I've read various articles where they are considered the favorites.

Personally, on paper I think this has to be one of the most mediocre Argentina side's I ever saw.

Martinez
Molina Romero Otamendi Acuna
De Paul Parades Lo Celso
Di Maria Messi Martinez\​

Obviously Parades and Di Maria are way out of form. Midfield looks mediocre at best. I really wonder if Messi has the legs to carry them

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
What do most people over here make out of Argentina's chances to win the WC? I've read various articles where they are considered the favorites.

Personally, on paper I think this has to be one of the most mediocre Argentina side's I ever saw.

Martinez
De Paul Parades Lo Celso

Obviously Parades and Di Maria are way out of form. Midfield looks mediocre at best. I really wonder if Messi has the legs to carry them
Agreed. I don't see it either.

May 26, 2016

Martinez
De Paul Parades Lo Celso

Well we are unbeaten for 35 matches, so i think that stands for something.

Also i would not look too much into form: our players tend to suddenly perform much better in the national team than for their clubs for some strange reason.

That said, i refuse to count us as favorites (no jinx from me). I personally see Brazil as favorites

Anyways: the big difference in this side compared to a lot of former Argentina sides is in the organization:

Scaloni has found a functioning system - both offensively and defensively and found a balance with Messi without being over reliant on him like past coaches.

Past teams were notoriously known for being unbalanced: yes our forwards were world class, but the rest of the team (especially in defence) were trash/bad.

Scalonis team has a backbone and is built on hardwork, stability and intensive off the ball mentality.

We have a decent CBs now with high agression : Romero (shame Juve let him go, would love to see him with Bremer) - Otamendi -Lisandro Martínez

In midfield De Paul, Parades, Lo Celso brings a lot of running and hard work to this team. They are the engines that make it tick. They have strong passing range and are also technically strong.

Lo Celso's injury is a concern (he will most likely be switched with Mac Allister - Brighton or Enzo Fernandez , who Juventus met this year in the Benfica ties ) but they are good replacements.

The forwards speaks for themselves. An attack with messi- di maria . lautaro - dybala - alvarez- Correa can do some serious damage.

That said i would argue that they might lack a "true striker" and it might hurt them.

Also injuries to one or two key players completely fu#ks our squad, since we lack replacements in certain areas.

All in all i think they will do well, but we have a bad history of choking or being "pechos frios" When it really matters so we will see.

I obviously hope Argentina win , but if not: Brazil , Iran or some African countries would be cool.

Good luck , whoever you guys support !

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I agree about Argentina deceiving as to whether they are favorites. Argentina has done really well in CONMEBOL lately. And even Colombia couldn't qualify this year. So you have to give credit to that alone.

But that said, on paper, I am not all that impressed relative to past Argentina sides.

But that's probably a good thing. I am a fan of the team over a random collection of great individuals. I have never seen a Portuguese side on paper that looks so balanced and deep and talented as this one, and they will still blow a home Nations League qualifier to a weakened Spain because team matters more than talent, IMO. Otherwise Belgium would have won the Euro or WC by now.

Still, I think Brazil and Argentina are getting more love than usual purely based on more "neutral" turf of Qatar, which doesn't seem sufficient.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Well we are unbeaten for 35 matches, so i think that stands for something.

Also i would not look too much into form: our players tend to suddenly perform much better in the national team than for their clubs for some strange reason.

That said, i refuse to count us as favorites (no jinx from me). I personally see Brazil as favorites

Anyways: the big difference in this side compared to a lot of former Argentina sides is in the organization:

Scaloni has found a functioning system - both offensively and defensively and found a balance with Messi without being over reliant on him like past coaches.

Past teams were notoriously known for being unbalanced: yes our forwards were world class, but the rest of the team (especially in defence) were trash/bad.

Scalonis team has a backbone and is built on hardwork, stability and intensive off the ball mentality.

We have a decent CBs now with high agression : Romero (shame Juve let him go, would love to see him with Bremer) - Otamendi -Lisandro Martínez

In midfield De Paul, Parades, Lo Celso brings a lot of running and hard work to this team. They are the engines that make it tick. They have strong passing range and are also technically strong.

Lo Celso's injury is a concern (he will most likely be switched with Mac Allister - Brighton or Enzo Fernandez , who Juventus met this year in the Benfica ties ) but they are good replacements.

The forwards speaks for themselves. An attack with messi- di maria . lautaro - dybala - alvarez- Correa can do some serious damage.

That said i would argue that they might lack a "true striker" and it might hurt them.

Also injuries to one or two key players completely fu#ks our squad, since we lack replacements in certain areas.

All in all i think they will do well, but we have a bad history of choking or being "pechos frios" When it really matters so we will see.

I obviously hope Argentina win , but if not: Brazil , Iran or some African countries would be cool.

Good luck , whoever you guys support !
Traitor :angrymob:

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
I agree about Argentina deceiving as to whether they are favorites. Argentina has done really well in CONMEBOL lately. And even Colombia couldn't qualify this year. So you have to give credit to that alone.

But that said, on paper, I am not all that impressed relative to past Argentina sides.

But that's probably a good thing. I am a fan of the team over a random collection of great individuals. I have never seen a Portuguese side on paper that looks so balanced and deep and talented as this one, and they will still blow a home Nations League qualifier to a weakened Spain because team matters more than talent, IMO. Otherwise Belgium would have won the Euro or WC by now.

Still, I think Brazil and Argentina are getting more love than usual purely based on more "neutral" turf of Qatar, which doesn't seem sufficient.
That’s because the kind of talent that can win a World Cup on his own doesn’t exist anymore. Can’t think of a single player who would be able to pull a Maradona or a Romário these days. Regarding Argentina and Brazil they will always be overhyped no matter what.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I don't see a clear favorite, but that owes as much to the dearth of quality as anything else.

The reason this Argentina side is heavily favored by many is precisely that: the power of the collective and organization. They are nowhere near as impressive as previous editions, but Germany are medicore (will concede goals and do not possess a recognizable striker), Spain are too inexperienced and lack goals, England possess deficiencies in defense and they're England, France have too many injuries, Brazil are not that strong in midfield, Holland do not have a real CF, and Italy are missing.

A team like Denmark or Belgium could spring a surprise.

I personally think it could be an Argentina vs Brazil final (unless they meet sooner) with Denmark and Belgium as rank outsiders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)