[WC] World Cup 2018 - General Talk Thread (73 Viewers)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Yeha, that was a nonsense statement.

- - - Updated - - -

One bracket of the tournament:

Spain, Russia, Croatia, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium/England, Senegal/Colombia/Japan.

If I were from Belgium, Croatia, England or Colombia I would be hyped as fuck. Easiest road to a World Cup final ever.

I think @Seven got a point: the best team so far in this bracket is Croatia. Massive disappointment if they don't go really far. They are my favourite in this bracket with Colombia and Spain. Belgium/England outsiders.

If Japan wins today :lol:

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Khedira wasnt the sole reason Germany exited, but he is a really underwhelming mid these days, looked at home in a team that got humiliated against Mexico, got benched, Germans won, returned and lost to Korea :lol:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I suppose you could call Guivarc'h such a player, but he had a specific job to do. The rest of the squad was certainly no joke.

- - - Updated - - -

It's odd though, when Germany won the World Cup in 2014 it was all about the investment they had done years before in youth football, how it was something that here in England had to be copied. We have copied it, had a massive amount of success at youth international level over the past 2-3 years, now the national team has a more positive spin and belief. But for Germany all of a sudden this doesn't ring true, like they don't have excellent experienced players and young talents like Werner, Sané (lol), Kimmich, Süle and Brandt, or a host of others 25 and under. It's not just down to having talents, mentality and desire mean a lot and when a team arrives at this point they can win big things.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I think Mexico has what it takes to beat Brazil unfortunately
Nah. Brazil will advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna go with experience.

Portugal over Uruguay
Brazil over Mexico

The only upsets I can see is Denmark over Croatia, and Russia benefiting from the home team factor.
Uruguay is actually the most likely "upsetter". Portugal has aging team in defense. Pepe is past it now. 35 and plays in Turkey. And Uruguay has better record in WC and they dont lack experience. 3rd tournament for guys like Suarez, Cavani, Godin. They have a better XI.

Russia wont beat Spain. Look they just got trashed by Uruguay.

Denmark could beat Croatia cause Croatia tend to shoot themselves to foot. What have they done since 98? They have had Modric since 06. They have had great squads before but failed to deliver. Peak too early against Arg. Not that i believe in Denmark but they might be better managed team than this Argentina. Scandinavians are clearly back.

I dont think we will see new winner as in Bel/Cro etc. It will still be one of the big ones. Right now Brazil look most likely.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I've seen two "first time" winners in my lifetime - France in 1998 and Spain in 2010. Those teams were really strong and heavy favorites, so it wasn't a surprise when they won it.
This time I don't see such a team, so I can predict a previous winner winning this thing. Most probably not Uruguay or England, but it's gonna be one of Spain, France or Brasil. Argentina... very tough with that midfield and defense.
Belgium and Croatia look strong, but not that strong, experienced and with tradition to keep form for 7 matches and win a WC. Sooner or later they will lose.
Portugal? With Ronaldo and after winning a big cup like the EURO two years ago, you can't write them off.
Nah, Spain, France or Brasil will win it.
I have been saying Argentina since before the tournament started and now with the way they progressed and how things are going their way, I see them do a Portugal.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I know. They keep hammering that home over here. But it means fuck all in a World Cup in which Germany is beaten by South Korea and Spain barely survive a group with Iran and Morocco.

I'm not saying we'll go far. There are a lot of factors that say we shouldn't. But truth is I don't see other teams that are much more convincing. Sure. Tunisia is weak. But when the fuck did Iran and South Korea become football superpowers?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Unless you are mistakingly in Holland, thats not really true :p
The big media papers and our insane legendary "analysts" (who is barzagli? bonucci is a butcher that cant pass,etc), also have been going on and on about the insane legendary awesome play against the grand nations of Panama and Tunesia.

Some dutch analyst went like "belgium didnt beat anyone noteworthy". So the entire media and insane legendary analysts were quickly there with hammers and pitchforks to ridicule this holland guy "haha, you arent in the worldcup you dont know shit".

Belgium, hasent beaten shit. We are set up to massacre shitty the peasant fuck, who'll still create chances and can walk to our backline. The very first team that can coherently defend and build play or counter, whill tear us apart.

Croatia ?

- Argentina : insane talents, some solid players, poor coaching : ripped apart
- Nigeria : natural gameplay, but average talent yet skillfull : ripped apart
- Iceland : a wall of defence : ripped apart

Croatia got a varied group and one massively talented team, and went 9/9 on a 7-1 goal ratio

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Really nice of the tournament organisers to pair Eng & Bel with 2 of the shittest teams in the competition AND make us play last so we know what lies ahead.

This game could be a surreal yellow card fest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 72)