[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (6 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,684
    But you're making excuses. You're saying that it's good enough to be runners-up and bow out. You're dismissing the possibility that once in a while you need to exceed expectations. You're adopting the Fabio Capello philosophy here: play as good as your potential, but no better. And everybody should celebrate that as an accomplishment? That gives Germany a free pass?

No, Germany lost in 2006 to a legend like Fabio Grosso and in 2010 to a legend in Puyol. It's not exactly the story of Costa Rica taking on the German Machine of this World Cup.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    We need to be extremely realistic when we mention Holland.

Holland isnt an attacking team at the moment. They seek to absorb the opponent and counter it. They depend on decent crossers on the wing, Sneijder having a reasonable game, Robben and Van Persie. The last one having difficulties with the number of games this year.

But lets be serious. Not a single team on this worldcup bar Germany had impressive attacking football when in possession.
    Brazil has a shitty generation, France was good, but germany took em down, spain failed, italy failed, england failed harder, Holland had to be defensive to be good...

Leaving south american teams with alot of grinta and determination, but ultimately, not so brilliant players. Suarez was half fit in an average team, James Rodriguez is a one hit wonder, Chile needs space for their offensive game etc...

The only team at this worldcup that stands out of this mediocre shit, is Germany. Organised excellence, direct attacking from that organisation, quick passing that actively seeks for a trough ball when the opponent parks it, amazing off the ball movement, incredibly talented creative players.

Oh, did i mention the "heynckens bayeren tactic" that Germany is currently using, is a direct counter to the argentine playstyle ?

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,688
    but the did exceed expectaions by making it to the semis....
    Four consecutive times? How many times in a row can a team make the semifinals without the shock anymore that they supposedly don't belong there?

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    this year is different. yeah they were a heay weight to begin with. i was talking previous

- - - Updated - - -

Four consecutive times? How many times in a row can a team make the semifinals without the shock anymore that they supposedly don't belong there?

this meaningless. germany is going oo crush argetina and muller will dance cirlces around messi.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,691
    Neuer, Hummels, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Müller, Özil, Götze, Draxxler, Schürrle, Klose

"exceed expectations". Yeah right...
    And while we're putting Grosso and Puyol on legendary pedestals for offering the deciders that knocked Germany out of the last two World Cups, let's look at the list of unknowns on these German sides: Schweinsteiger, Kahn, Ballack, Lahm, some guy named Klose who would go on to become the WC's leading all-time scorer during his tenure over those 4 WCs...

Nope, no potential legends there at all. :rolleyes:

Germany has pulled a smokescreen of lowered expectations to play the "lovable underdogs" card for their failures over the past three World Cups. And it seems like I am the only one who isn't buying it here.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    And while we're putting Grosso and Puyol on legendary pedestals for offering the deciders that knocked Germany out of the last two World Cups, let's look at the list of unknowns on these German sides: Schweinsteiger, Kahn, Ballack, Lahm, some guy named Klose who would go on to become the WC's leading all-time scorer during his tenure over those 4 WCs...

Nope, no potential legends there at all. :rolleyes:

Germany has pulled a smokescreen of lowered expectations to play the "lovable underdogs" card for their failures over the past three World Cups. And it seems like I am the only one who isn't buying it here.
    Humble swag slips up unexpectedly. :D Yes, Greg, you are the only one who figured out what happened. Will you please be our leader, please? :D

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,694
    :D Nah. I'm just honestly shocked how many people are buying this line that Germany was never good enough until now, that it was a surprise honor for them to make the semifinals, that they had no stars compared to the likes of Puyol or Grosso.

Back me up here, dude! :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    :D Nah. I'm just honestly shocked how many people are buying this line that Germany was never good enough until now, that it was a surprise honor for them to make the semifinals, that they had no stars compared to the likes of Puyol or Grosso.

Man, I look at those German names and I have no idea what position they even play. In the semi final there were many scorers and I have no idea if they were all defenders or substitutes or what.

You're on your own carrying that cross. :D

Mister

Apr 4, 2014
    #GER LINE-UP: Neuer, Howedes, Hummels, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Klose, Muller, Lahm (c), Kroos, Boateng

#ARG LINE-UP: Romero, Garay, Zabaleta, Biglia, Perez, Higuain, Messi (c), Mascherano, Demichelis, Rojo, Lavezzi

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Oh, did i mention the "heynckens bayeren tactic" that Germany is currently using, is a direct counter to the argentine playstyle ?
    I thought you said several times it is the direct counter to the barca/Guardiola/Spain style. Argentina play nothing close to that.

As for my predictions, I actually have 3, 1-0 or 2-0 for Argentina OR 4-0 for Germany

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
    Jan 16, 2013

I've said it for at least 4 years that on paper Germany is the best squad in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)