[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (6 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
He used it in most games building up to there, and every game till germany game
"We knew before Euro 2012 how the team was going to play – Prandelli had used 4-3-1-2 for each game leading up to the event. It was only during his first four in charge, where he attempted to play with width, that he used a different system (4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1). Although he threw a curveball by introducing 3-5-2 for the first two games of the tournament proper, he soon changed back to what was then his stock formation. The team was set, they knew what he wanted, and by crunch time he had settled on a combination of players in midfield and attack."

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Whoa. I've rarely seen a team with so little brains when it comes to defending. They just did everything wrong and Germany are a bloody machine, making use of that space. It was really a match where things came together for Germany, but my word, Brazil were so incredibly poor. I wonder whether they actually discuss tactics in training sessions. Well done Germany, fuck Scolari.

This video sums the game up nicely :lol:

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,063
    God, what a hipster statement.

Pop telling how it be
    Old man and hipster at the same time. That has to be quite an accomplishment. :strong:

hes the luckiest coach ever, i dont know how he keep getting hired, hasnt done anything right since 2002, and that team didnt even need a coach.
    Well, they did want to elect him honorary President of Portugal for losing Euro 2004. :sergoi:

Belgian analyst said it the best

"This Germany, reminds me of Bayeren munchen. But not current, the juggernaut from 2 years ago under Heynckens."
    Heynckens is da man. The rest: pretenders.

I can see where you are coming from but the elimination stage was very good too, imo, bar this Brazil-Germany fiasco. The only thing that hurt the quality there was the timing of the early games forcing teams to play in ridiculous conditions. Even then, however, there were some good ones among those games (eg. Mexico-Netherlands). All the late games, as far as I remember, offered some very good footie and a great deal of drama though, even a game between irrelevant teams like CR vs Greece.

As for this 7-1 drubbing, it could well have turned into an epic game had Brazil scored those chances they got in the first 10 or min of the 2nd half. Sure one cannot say the way it all went down was the perfect scenario from a footie standpoint but even then, a shocking game like this one does give a WC event an unique flavor for the ages.

I for one would have to go back 20+ years to try to dig up a WC as memorable as this one, or more precisely, one that comes even close.
    I'll give you Mexico-Netherlands was a great match with a lot of suspense. But most of the knock-outs have been: favorite side goes up 1-0 10' into the match off a set piece, game over.

Memorable? Yes. But not for the sport. More for the rivalries and humiliation factors. Which, for mostly a neutral at this stage, gives me a lot of reason to make trips to the refrigerator and bathroom and not worry that I might miss something. That's my high watermark of a good WC. :D

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
    Jan 16, 2013
    Completely deserved rape, i'm not even mad. This was like watching Santos vs. Barcelona all over again, an amateurish tactically inept team vs. a real one, except this was the worst defeat in the country's history. Brazilian managers never adapted to modern Football and all without exception are stuck in the 90's.

Collaguazo

Pezuña Brava
    Mar 4, 2012
    the WC has been full of drama and action. I think neutrals cannot have asked more than this.

And for the ones saying that the footie level has been sub par...lets be sincere... in other cups it has been more or less the same...bar 2 or 3 real strong teams...there are always good teams that choke and poor teams that go out as fast as they came in.

Still, we need to be happy because no matter what happens.....nothing can be worse than the Korea Japa bullshid which is IMO the worst WC of all times
    The WC 2002 was a disgrace. But finally all the wrongs made in that World Cup are being corrected. Korean football is shit as ever. Byron Moreno is rotting in a US jail for smuggling cocaine. Spain got the WC they deserved after being robbed against the Koreans. And finally, the record of Ronaldo has been broken and the Brazilian team humiliated in home soil.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
    Brazil have been poor all tournament. It was only a matter of time before their bubble burst but you could never have predicted for it to happen so emphatically. Just wow!

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Nice to see Germany back to playing with a striker and with Lahm at full-back.

Balance is so much better than it was when they were mucking around with that Guardiola-ish nonsense in the first few game.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8,071
    Watching Brazil fall apart like that over a few minutes to Germany, how many of you guys had brief flashbacks to Juve vs Fiorentina earlier this past season?

I know I did...

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
    Nov 8, 2005
    Easy, 1998. Zidane and Ronaldo at their peak, fancy argentina side, world class holland side, spain choking, chilavert, italy's best offensive generation etc
    that was one of the better WCs I have seen indeed - some golden generations were on display there, at east in terms of individual talent (France, Brazil, Holland, Italy, Croatia). But I thought the games got interesting mainly from the 1/4 finals stage onward, with some exceptions of course.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    Watching Brazil fall apart like that over a few minutes to Germany, how many of you guys had brief flashbacks to Juve vs Fiorentina earlier this past season?

I know I did...
    That was seriously nothing like that.

Much more reminiscent of the Bayern-Barca matches last season.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006

I know I did...
    It was Milan capitulating in Istanbul that leapt into my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)