[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (12 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7,927
    I wasn't going to go there... until I saw how Fernandinho had instructions to hack down Colombia players and the whiners came out in force when Neymar went down for the same treatment.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    So this Brazilian girl in class today says that a large amount of Brazilians want them to lose today. Apparently, somehow a Brazilian victory in the WC will ensure electoral victory for the current extremley corrupt government in the next elections.

Dont really see the connection.But still.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
    May 27, 2009
    I wasn't going to go there... until I saw how Fernandinho had instructions to hack down Colombia players and the whiners came out in force when Neymar went down for the same treatment.
    I went there when I saw how Willian and David Luiz wore their Forza Neymar hats when coming out of their team bus. :inter:

Then Lahm and Schweini appeared on screen. Smart as ever. :heart:

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7,933
    So this Brazilian girl in class today says that a large amount of Brazilians want them to lose today. Apparently, somehow a Brazilian victory in the WC will ensure electoral victory for the current extremley corrupt government in the next elections.

I buy it. Many Brazilians around the WC have been known to cut off the nose to spite the face.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013

Politics and football are very closely connected at times.
    Merkep in Germany would receive an, albeit lesser, popularity boost as well should they win it.
    There are rumors Balotellis signing for Milan was at least partly due to Berlusconis partys campaign for the parlamential elections soon after. Some surveys even attribute as much of 1-2% of the voters voted for Berlusconi for this reason.

With Brazil it's a little more complex. Basically the WC is subject to immense criticism and protests arguing there are more important matters than stadiums the government should spend money for, and targeting cases of corruption which allegidly is extremely common during the WCs organisation. The whole event is therefore seen in a rather negative light, and in turn so is the government responsible for hosting it.

Should Brazil win however, this attitude will be changed completely, everyone loves the WC and all the criticisms suddenly don't matter that much, and the current adminstration has a much higher chance of getting reelected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)