[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (11 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
I do. I'm with Bjerknes on this one. I'd support my own country no matter how shitty of a team it had, luckily i was born in Brazil.

And it's pretty simple, really. If Italia wins you won't see Germans in Germany celebrating, why should they? The title would be for the Italians and the Italians alone. Clubs have already lost their identity a long time ago thanks to globalization, but not national teams(It will pretty soon though). They still represent their country and it's people and that's the way it should be.

I mean seriously, how can you support a country when you don't even speak it's language? I mean wtf? There's a big difference between having a soft spot and actually support like it's own country, i have a soft spot for Italy and Croatia but were they to win i wouldn't celebrate, i have no right to.

*Runs from the horde of the angry foreigners*
Well yeah, to me it's weird if someone was to celebrate another country winning as if it was their own. But there's nothing wrong with simply wanting a certain country to do well because you like their players, or style of play, or whatever.

For example I like the Italian NT, I like watching them, even go so far as to say I'm happy when they do well. And I'll talk quite a bit about them. But there's no way I'd celebrate their victories as an Italian would, it's not my right to do so. So I guess I actually kind of agree with you, in a sense. :D

In any case I just don't like it when people come in & start dictating to others what sort of fan they should be, that's what I was responding to. Especially putting people down because their country might not produce players good enough to make it to the WC.

Bite your tongue, girl.
:lol:

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
My prediction:
qualifiers:
A: Brazil Mexico
B: Spain Holland
C: Colombia Ivory Coast
D: Uruguay Italy
E: France Switzerland
F: Argentina Nigeria
G: Germany Portugal
H: Russia Belgium

Knockouts:
Brazil Holland 3-0
Colombia Italy 1-2
Spain Mexico 4-0
Uruguay Ivory Coast 3-2
France Nigeria 2-1 ET
Germany Belgium 1-0
Argentina Switzerland 5-0
Russia Portugal 0-0 PK

QF:
Brazil Italy 1-0
Spain Uruguay 2-0
Nigeria Germany 0-2
Argentina Portugal 1-2

SF:
Brazil Uruguay 2-0
Germany Portugal 1-0

3rd Place: Uruguay Portugal - winners Uruguay 2-1
Final: Brazil Germany - winners Germany 0-1

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Well yeah, to me it's weird if someone was to celebrate another country winning as if it was their own. But there's nothing wrong with simply wanting a certain country to do well because you like their players, or style of play, or whatever.

For example I like the Italian NT, I like watching them, even go so far as to say I'm happy when they do well. And I'll talk quite a bit about them. But there's no way I'd celebrate their victories as an Italian would, it's not my right to do so. So I guess I actually kind of agree with you, in a sense. :D

In any case I just don't like it when people come in & start dictating to others what sort of fan they should be, that's what I was responding to. Especially putting people down because their country might not produce players good enough to make it to the WC.
I'll celebrate their win just like I celebrated 2006 title; I felt ecstatic seeing Buffon, Del Piero, Camoranesi and other Juventini winning the most important trophy; felt miserable after '94 WC, equally bad after unfortunate 2000 loss and will continue doing that without any regret, maybe even more than some Italian would for that matter. Naturally countries in which I grew up will always come first, but I find it completely within my right to cheer for whomever I pleased. Many people here cheer for Italy, somehow comes natural since most NT players play from Juve. That said I can understand if you'd prefer Argentina over Italy or USA. :p

- - - Updated - - -

I actually do have Italian blood, not that that is any of your concern. Your holier than thou attitude is sickening. You have no right to tell other members who to support. Simply put, it's their fucking business.

I am not actually supporting Italy per se, but my dislike for the English and their arrogance is strong, so I want to see them get humiliated.
:tup:

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I do. I'm with Bjerknes on this one. I'd support my own country no matter how $#@!ty of a team it had, luckily i was born in Brazil.

And it's pretty simple, really. If Italia wins you won't see Germans in Germany celebrating, why should they? The title would be for the Italians and the Italians alone. Clubs have already lost their identity a long time ago thanks to globalization, but not national teams(It will pretty soon though). They still represent their country and it's people and that's the way it should be.

I mean seriously, how can you support a country when you don't even speak it's language? I mean wtf? There's a big difference between having a soft spot and actually support like it's own country, i have a soft spot for Italy and Croatia but were they to win i wouldn't celebrate, i have no right to.

:delpiero:

Filho, we got this. Bola pra frente.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I do. I'm with Bjerknes on this one. I'd support my own country no matter how $#@!ty of a team it had, luckily i was born in Brazil.

You are taking this way too seriously.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I do. I'm with Bjerknes on this one. I'd support my own country no matter how shitty of a team it had, luckily i was born in Brazil.

:touched: I find it extremely cute and I wouldn't mind a slightest if you celebrate our win, in fact I don't know anyone who would.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
My prediction:
qualifiers:
A: Brazil Mexico
B: Spain Holland
C: Colombia Ivory Coast
D: Uruguay Italy
E: France Switzerland
F: Argentina Nigeria
G: Germany Portugal
H: Russia Belgium

Knockouts:
Brazil Holland 3-0
Colombia Italy 1-2
Spain Mexico 4-0
Uruguay Ivory Coast 3-2
France Nigeria 2-1 ET
Germany Belgium 1-0
Argentina Switzerland 5-0
Russia Portugal 0-0 PK

QF:
Brazil Italy 1-0
Spain Uruguay 2-0
Nigeria Germany 0-2
Argentina Portugal 1-2

SF:
Brazil Uruguay 2-0
Germany Portugal 1-0

3rd Place: Uruguay Portugal - winners Uruguay 2-1
Final: Brazil Germany - winners Germany 0-1
Good predictions.

I think Chile could go through ahead of Holland. Likewise Ghana ahead of Portugal.

Still think Brazil or one of the other South American's will in it.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
12 june, Brazil-Croatia in Sao Paolo
13-17 june, Beaches
18 june, Spain - Chile in Rio
19 june, back home

This should be the best week ever. The only problem would be the weather. It's gonna be winter in Brazil and the average temperature in Sao Paolo and Rio at this time of the year is around 22-25 °C. Brazil without the beaches won't be the same. Hopefully the weather will have mercy on us.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Yeah, that sounds incredible. Feel free to invite me if you have a spare ticket. :p
I can't remember where you are from. It's somewhere in the Balkans, right? Is your team playing? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)