[WC] World Cup 2014 - General Talk Thread (10 Viewers)

the Champs

• Argentina

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,243
    Not that I'm not a fan of the female form. But it's really gotten depressing how you cannot bring up a discussion about the World Cup without it turning into the NSFW thread. :frown:

Posts moved there...

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
    That's why i find it so stupid to down talk players of the past. They've no idea how tough Football was. The likes of Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't have survived back then.

There are 3 Argentine players with blood all over their shirts. Flying kicks, elbows onto faces, punches, leg-breaking tackles all in the eyes of the referee while he pretends to see nothing and let the game continue. 2000' strikers got it easy.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
    :tup: @Emmet I read it wrong then. They were 3 beasts that year indeed. We could also mention that Romania and Hagi, one of the best underdog teams i've seen in WC history. Can't say the same about the likes of Rincon, Valderrama, Asprilla... Best Colombia players they ever had, big disappointment.

Romário would have been brilliant in 90` too if he hadn't got injured, same in 98'. I'm not sure i get what you're saying though, lost interest in the game? What do you mean? He still kept playing for the Seleção and won a Copa America and Confederations Cup. He was also in top form for the 2002 WC having been the Brasileirão top scorer for 2 consecutive years. I Remembered he was promised a spot in that team by the CBF's president and got stabbed in the back. Scolari didn't want him.

Most Europeans don't know much of Romário besides that WC because he decided to stay in Brazil for personal reasons (He liked his parties, his beer and his Samba. Never adapted to the European way of life and never pretended to be "an athlete"). Don't be mistaken though, Brazilian football back then was not the $#@! it is today, he played against strong teams and scored (if you don't count friendlies/pre-professional career) over 800 goals.

See, if you ask an old enough Brazilian who was the better player, Romário or Ronaldo, 9 times out of 10 you answer will be the first. Baggio, Maradona, Cruyff and so many others would say the same for a simple reason, inside the box he had no equal.

PS. BTW i favorited your blog. It's always good to talk/read/share with those who were around the last breath of the golden era of Football. Keep the good stuff coming.
    Thanks mate, it's greatly appreciated :D

Romario kind of gave up on football shortly after winning the World Cup, he stayed at Barca for a while longer, but like you said, he went back to Brazil in '95 an never came back to Europe except for a short stint at Valencia, he easily could have stayed in Europe until France '98.

He was like Ronaldo, he hated training :lol:

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
    Thanks mate, it's greatly appreciated :D

Romario kind of gave up on football shortly after winning the World Cup, he stayed at Barca for a while longer, but like you said, he went back to Brazil in '95 an never came back to Europe except for a short stint at Valencia, he easily could have stayed in Europe until France '98.

He was like Ronaldo, he hated training :lol:
    Gave up on Football because he left Europe? That's harsh. Especially when we're talking about the 90's. Back then there were at least 2 or 3 Brazilian teams that were as strong as any other. In fact, Manchester United was crushed by a Vasco with Edmundo and Romário back in 99/2000, and that was that "classic" United with Solskjaer, Yorke, Giggs, etc..

On the same tournament that also classic Madrid team drew 2-2 with Corinthians who were clearly the best team that night. Big difference between the league Romário used to play in and the league now. Players would leave for Europe mostly for the attention they'll get on the media/money not looking for a better football. Things changed in the 2000's though, South American Football kept getting worse and it's adamant to leave if one wants to be somebody.

He just didn't adapt, his talent was still the same. :p

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
    He should have stayed in Europe a few more years for me, true Brazil then wasn't like it is now but it would have been nice to see him stay at Barca.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Gave up on Football because he left Europe? That's harsh. Especially when we're talking about the 90's. Back then there were at least 2 or 3 Brazilian teams that were as strong as any other. In fact, Manchester United was crushed by a Vasco with Edmundo and Romário back in 99/2000, and that was that "classic" United with Solskjaer, Yorke, Giggs, etc..
    Those were good times for Brazilian football. I remember watching that game with my best mate at the time (plastic Manc), plus the one where Palmeiras (with a young Alex de Souza outstanding) were also the better team, only to lose to United. Those were morning kick-offs over here so a bit of a novelty.

Actually, looking at that Palmeiras side it was some team at the time: Marcos, Arce, J. Baiano, R. Junior, C. Sampaio, Galeano, Alex, Zinho, Asprilla and P. Nunes.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
    May 26, 2009
    Those were good times for Brazilian football. I remember watching that game with my best mate at the time (plastic Manc), plus the one where Palmeiras (with a young Alex de Souza outstanding) were also the better team, only to lose to United. Those were morning kick-offs over here so a bit of a novelty.

Actually, looking at that Palmeiras side it was some team at the time: Marcos, Arce, J. Baiano, R. Junior, C. Sampaio, Galeano, Alex, Zinho, Asprilla and P. Nunes.
    Aww how cute ;)

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    The best part about this world cup is that I'll mostly be on paternity leave, which means I can stay up all night to watch the games :D

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    These talks about them 90ties, such good memories.

And the illuster brazillian teams that could come and kick some serious ass against any european team.

good times

The best part about this world cup is that I'll mostly be on paternity leave, which means I can stay up all night to watch the games :D
    :D :tup:

My exams end the day after the opening game , so can watch just about everything apart from brazil-kroatia :)

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013

:tup: We usually call 90's Palmeiras the Parmalat era. there was so much quality in the teams they built that decade. Besides those names , think; Rivaldo, Cafu, Edmundo, Roberto Carlos, Evair, etc...

Now that team you mentioned was late 90's and every time we played them it was literally a war. Boca - Riverplate and Corinthians - Palmeiras were the biggest rivalry in SA at the time. I'm lucky to have experienced that atmosphere first hand in such a good period in Football history.

That Corinthians team was also so good. Remember Gamarra? The defender who commited 0 fouls in the 98' WC? Seriously, i see defenders today and i see this guy, there's no comparison. Also Rincón, Dida, Marcelinho (One of the best FK takers there was), Edilson. What a dream team.

Football was tough, man. It was definitely not a game for the soft bitches of today.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
    According to the most read Argentine sports magazine El Grafico, Romário is the greatest goalscorer of all time with 768 goals in competitive matches only.

lista.jpg

Orange shade: Still active

Criteria: Statistics did not count goals scored in club friendlies, club organized tournaments, summer/winter tournaments, preseason tournaments, matches that did not involve the professional side, and festive matches.

Top 5 among active players
    1. Túlio (538 goals)
    2. Raúl (434 goals)
    3. Aleksandar Duric (395 goals)
    4. Thierry Henry (382 goals)
    5. Andriy Shevchenko (381 goals)

Notable mentions
    155. Cristiano Ronaldo (297 goals)
    186. Lionel Messi (281 goals)

@Emmet @Zacheryah @JuveJay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)