[WC] World Cup 2010 - General Talk Thread (10 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
The better team lost, silly to play it in Naples though, don't you think?
When was it decided that particular semifinal to be played in Naples?

Argentina qualified as 3rd from their group. If they qualified as 1st or 2nd, they'd have (if they qualified) played in the other semifinal, not in the one against Italy.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
When was it decided that particular semifinal to be played in Naples?

Argentina qualified as 3rd from their group. If they qualified as 1st or 2nd, they'd have (if they qualified) played in the other semifinal, not in the one against Italy.
What is a team doing qualifying in 3rd place? It's a fix I tell thee!

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Who said that the refs favor the hosts in world cups?

Usa in 1994? Favored? Nope
France in 1998? They got a red card in the semis.
Japan in 2002? It was so easy to favor them. Turkey in the 1/8 finals and Senegal in the 1/4 finals. It was so easy to rob "small" teams like Turkey and then Senegal. But nope. Japan loses to Turkey.
Germany in 2006? Nicht.
South Africa in 2010? Doesn't look like it. Penalty and red card at 0:1.

Only the team that eliminates the Azzurri was favored because "they were the hosts".

2002 was as fair as any other world cup. The Koreans deserved their success.
:shifty:

You've got to be kidding me

Bad refereeing didn't only screw over Italy, it also favored S Korea in their game against Spain.

And if Byron Moreno's refereeing was A+ then why did FIFA admit he had made mistakes? Why isn't he a referee anymore?

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
and that is the mistake in the equation ...

its not "have the ball" equals "can score"...

it is more "have the ball in a dangerous position (penalty box)" equals "can score" and if you fail to do this ... (look at barca or spain today) then your possession will not give you anything.
:agree:

Switzerland were very effective, out of the two chances they had in the 2nd half they scored one, compared to the million chances Spain had and zero goals

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Maradona, through his contacts in the Naples mafia, had the game fixed.
I loved when he was celebrating Argentina's goal the other day, he tries to grab a nearby Diego Milito on the touchline for a hug, and Milito's gaze is far off on the pitch -- acting as if he's thinking, "Get this coke-addled circus freak off of me."

But hey -- you gotta like his comeback to Pele:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...oach-diego-maradona-tells-pele-go-back-museum

The only way to top that? "Go back to the museum and make me an ancient sandwich."

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
it seemed spain tried to do to much, they need to be moer direct, i love how despite the loss people give them excuses, perhaps spain chokes again...who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)